Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite song in Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite song in Dark Side of the Moon
    Posted: July 04 2019 at 13:34
The best and the "worst" song in your opinion?

Best : Us and Them
Worst : Money

Yes I know it's an fantastic album and should not be divided into best and worst song haha
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 13:44
 Best: Time
Worst: On The Run
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 13:47
Best: Time/Great Gig (yes, I do realize putting both is cheating) Big smile
Worst: Money

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 14:13
"Time" and "The Great Gig in the Sky" are both great; I can't choose between them.

Not certain about worst. Definitely not "Money"; a great track to dance to. One of the proofs that a 7/8 rhythm can definitely be danced to. Another one is "Dance on a Volcano", by the way.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 14:37
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Even though I like OTR I would have to agree here. It seems to be a sequencer so it's probably ground breaking but it just doesn't really do much. Tangerine Dream could have done better in their sleep(pun intended Wink).

As for favorite possibly Time but I also really like the Great Gig in the Sky and Us and them.

Here is my official answer:

Best: Us and Them

Worst(or at least least favorite): On the Run

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 04 2019 at 14:38
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Best: Us and Them

Worst(or at least least favorite): On the Run

Though I picked differently on mine, I really cannot argue with this either. Good piks. 

I've always been a side-one guy, but Us and Them is undeniably exquisite?  I'm not a big sax guy, but on this song it is heroic. 

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 15:28
I love Money, but I'm a poor Pink Floyd fan.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 16:34
This is almost impossible since I tend to like them all equally. This is a fantastically consistent album. That said, I'm going to try something I've never even dreamed of attempting: a full top to bottom ranking.

Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
On the Run
Breathe
Eclipse
Brain Damage
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Money
Speak to Me

Edited by Fischman - July 04 2019 at 16:43
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 22:03
This is indeed a Sum is better than the parts album. I do like many songs from it, but choosing one is really difficult. Time, The Great Gig in the Sky, Us & Them, and Brain Damage / Eclipse are all wonderful, yet the greatness of that album resides upon listening to the whole album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 23:56
Time
Money

I'm not a massive fan of this album although I've seen it performed live in it's entirety and it becomes a different animal in that environment entirely. It rocks big time and the guitar licks are some of the best of any genre. However I will always turn towards Wish You Were Here and Animals if I feel like listening to some Floyd.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 00:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Time
Money

I'm not a massive fan of this album although I've seen it performed live in it's entirety and it becomes a different animal in that environment entirely. It rocks big time and the guitar licks are some of the best of any genre. However I will always turn towards Wish You Were Here and Animals if I feel like listening to some Floyd.

If I want to listen to Pink Floyd I will turn to "Ummagumma" or "Meddle", but most definitely not to the ridiculously overrated "Animals". Had "Animals" come out a few years earlier my opinion would be different, but for the time it came out it was absolutely lame compared to what was musically going on at that time.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 02:15
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Time
Money

If I want to listen to Pink Floyd I will turn to "Ummagumma" or "Meddle", but most definitely not to the ridiculously overrated "Animals". Had "Animals" come out a few years earlier my opinion would be different, but for the time it came out it was absolutely lame compared to what was musically going on at that time.

Animals is not vastly overrated. By looking it objectively, it's the only Floyd album without "bad songs". The album is solid as a rock. It's also the favourite album by many hardcore Floyd fans.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 02:30
Worst: On the Run (does that count as a song?)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 02:37
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Time
Money

Animals is not vastly overrated. By looking it objectively, it's the only Floyd album without "bad songs". The album is solid as a rock. It's also the favourite album by many hardcore Floyd fans.

I agree, and Animals is my favourite Floyd album. Dogs is their finest work IMO.

I can understand why some folk don't like it. It's cold and harsh sounding, and doesn't have the swirling, synthy dynamics of WYWH, or the dark mystery and diversity of styles and sounds as DSOTM. It's not groundbreaking. It's angry and cynical, but for me it's an album that captures everything I've wanted to say about the world at various points in my life, and of course there's an element of the significance of when I first heard this album and what was going on in my life, that has affirmed it as a favourite. It's for similar reasons ATTWT by Genesis is another much loved album for me, but seemingly disliked by many others.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 03:04

Time
Money

first of all: there is no such thing as "looking at something objectively"; this only exists in your imagination. personal taste always plays a crucial role. and "bad" is in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear of the listener. there are in my opinion definitely two weak tracks on "Animals", the two parts of "Pigs on the Wing". "Meddle" or "Ummagumma" don't have weak tracks. yes, I love "San Tropez" and "Seamus" (how someone can NOT love that dog's singing is beyond me, but I know many people hate that track).

second: as Friede rightly pointed out an album has to be viewed in the context of the time it was recorded. had "Animals" been recorded in 1972 or 1973 it would have been great. but at the time it came out it sounded as if coming from a bunch of BOFs who are totally oblivious to what is musically going on around them and who have become so saturated that they can't get their fat asses out of their armchairs anymore to really get rocking. other artists had noticed the sign of the times and reacted; take for example Hawkwind's "Quark, Strangeness and Charme" or "Live Floating Anarchy" by Planet Gong which came out in the same year as "Animals".

I know a lot of people love "Animals", but for me it is absolutely lame. in the context of time, of course

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 03:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Time
Money

I'm
not a massive fan of this album although I've seen it performed live in
it's entirety and it becomes a different animal in that environment
entirely. It rocks big time and the guitar licks are some of the best of
any genre. However I will always turn towards Wish You Were Here and
Animals if I feel like listening to some Floyd.

If
I want to listen to Pink Floyd I will turn to "Ummagumma" or "Meddle",
but most definitely not to the ridiculously overrated "Animals". Had
"Animals" come out a few years earlier my opinion would be different,
but for the time it came out it was absolutely lame compared to what was
musically going on at that time.

Animals
is not vastly overrated. By looking it objectively, it's the only Floyd
album without "bad songs". The album is solid as a rock. It's also the
favourite album by many hardcore Floyd fans.

first
of all: there is no such thing as "looking at something objectively";
this only exists in your imagination. personal taste always plays a
crucial role. and "bad" is in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear
of the listener. there are in my opinion definitely two weak tracks on
"Animals", the two parts of "Pigs on the Wing". "Meddle" or "Ummagumma"
don't have weak tracks. yes, I love "San Tropez" and "Seamus" (how
someone can NOT love that dog's singing is beyond me, but I know many
people hate that track).

second: as Friede
rightly pointed out an album has to be viewed in the context of the time
it was recorded. had "Animals" been recorded in 1972 or 1973 it would
have been great. but at the time it came out it sounded as if coming
from a bunch of BOFs who are totally oblivious to what is musically
going on around them and who have become so saturated that they can't
get their fat asses out of their armchairs anymore to really get
rocking. other artists had noticed the sign of the times and reacted;
take for example Hawkwind's "Quark, Strangeness and Charme" or "Live
Floating Anarchy" by Planet Gong which came out in the same year as
"Animals".

I know a lot of people love "Animals", but for me it is absolutely lame. in the context of time, of course

I have to react to any reference to Calvert era Hawkwind!

Quark was a ground breaking album indeed. It was a brilliant reaction to, and alliance with punk. Truly progressive. I have been obsessed with Spirit of the Age, alone, for decades! It's certainly one of my favourite lyrics of all time.

Anyhow...back to DSOTM..
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 04:02

I must agree that the two parts of the pigs on the wing are the biggest flaw on the album. Anyhow coming to Meddle I found that album a bit boring apart from "One of these days" and the masterpiece "Echoes". The four songs between those have nothing new for me. (except the dog's singing). It feels like Beatles did better ones years ago. Ummagumma is great tho!

But in terms of a great album I also value the production. Animals mixing is top-notch as is almost all the Pink Floyd's albums. For example, comparing Animals to the two albums you mentioned. Yes I know the other one is a live album and can't be compared to studio album in terms of production.

I think the Planet Gong album is pretty cool tho but I just really can't get into hawkwind.

Anyhow, back to DSOTM :)

Edited by Foxprog - July 05 2019 at 04:13
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 04:06
DSOTM is a genuine groundbreaking masterpiece. As I said earlier not my top Floyd album, but probably the most important of their career, and not just in commercial terms, although you could say that it was Meddle that really broke the ground with Echoes, which was arguably the blue print for what followed on the next three albums.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 04:20

I must agree that the two parts of the pigs on the wing are the biggest flaw on the album. Anyhow coming to Meddle I found that album a bit boring apart from "One of these days" and the masterpiece "Echoes". The four songs between those have nothing new for me. (except the dog's singing). It feels like Beatles did better ones years ago. Ummagumma is great tho!

But in terms of a great album I also value the production. Animals mixing is top-notch as is almost all the Pink Floyd's albums. For example, comparing Animals to the two albums you mentioned. Yes I know the other one is a live album.

I think the Planet Gong album is pretty cool tho but I just really can't get into hawkwind.

Anyhow, back to DSOTM :)

production NEVER is a criterion for me; what counts is the music and only the music. it is nice if an album has a good production, but if not - so what?

and production is a double-edged sword. many albums sound sterile due to production. the albums of my own band Bald Angels were all recorded live in the studio, with no overdubs whatever. we rather have some guest musicians than using overdubs

Edited by BaldJean - July 05 2019 at 04:22

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 04:27
It's also not a criterion for me but I if something has good production I think it's just a plus. Do you think Dark Side of the Moon would be as popular as it is IF it would sound like Ummagumma? I bet not... Which is also unfortunate because I know many that can't listen some albums because of the sound quality. And for that reason they are missing quite many masterpieces...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>