Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite song in Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 16:09
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Who cares what was going on at the time. Is it relevant today? Does it stir emotion, admiration, and respect now, today? 

Can't believe Hawkwind and Planet Gong are mentioned as examples of what was truly reflective of the times (1977)! If this were the case, why weren't their albums A) big sellers, B) the talk of the world at that time (in the media), and C) rated higher here on PA where people care about progressive rock music? 

I believe you are missing the point and mis-representing its worth.

Creativity is usually tied to the social/political time it came from ... it (very rarely) is just a song from MARS with melodies from VENUS and a feel from PLUTO!

In the 60's, the majority of the music that sold, was played on radio, and it was the late 60's and one of the main drives of "psychedelia" and the "revolution" that changed things a lot ... you don't have to make a case for commerciality to prove your point. THE DOORS were not there "for the money!" ... neither were the JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, though later they found how much they were ripped off!

Big sellers has NOTHING to do with quality or value of the material ... your question is very offensive ... something like ITCOTCK did not sell a whole lot, since one song was actually a single ... and I can easily tell you that in Madison, and then Santa Barbara, not a single one of any friends I knew that had lots of music in their house, even had the album!

Your argument is very hurtful to the story of "progressive music" ... since with the exception of a handful of bands, most of them were not even that well known and were not selling. And you conveniently forget that GENESIS, did not became a "great" in the "Progressive" world until much later after many of these bands ... it was the delivery of SEBTP that got GENESIS on the air in the big stations, but even then, there were problems ... which song is the BLUE DOT? NONE. That means, it can only be played from midnight to 6 AM ... that was the reality ... but you think that has nothing to do with the bands history, and it does! And in a place like LA, with KMET and KLOS then, that would be a death knell ... so it was up to the lesser stations to make this album come alive ... and they DID SUCCEED, despite you not giving a damn!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 00:28
It's true that Genesis only became really big when in 1978 they released ATTWT (an album I love btw) because it was easy to program the songs for radio. It was clever that at least they kept the prog vibe going on tracks like Deep In The Motherlode and Undertow. Wasn't to last long though.
Yes biggest selling album is well known to be 90125 which is a truly depressing stat to me!

But that said the likes of ELP , Yes , Genesis were very popular in the UK in the early seventies and the albums also sold very well in Europe despite the lack of airplay. Even the likes of Focus and Camel had a fair few fans! 

Th UK being a relatively small country meant that a band could become big by word of mouth and if you were prepared to do a bit of work (ie get off your arses and play live) then there were rewards. I often wish we could go back to this. Modern music is being strangled by radio and commercial interests. I hear bits of this and that at work and its just horrible auto tuned crap. Also worryingly , the line up at Glastonbury must have been one of the worst yet. Music is not in a good place at the moment.

Signed ''Old Fart''
Smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes biggest selling album is well known to be 90125 which is a truly depressing stat to me!

I think that FRAGILE was, however, "Roundabout" was more of a hit on the FM dial than it was in the AM radio where it never really showed up! But the song from 90125 did show up on both dials, although by that time AM radio in America had lost its ability and was much less important than ever. FM radio had the "new" generation of hit makers, and ELP, YES, and many others were being played regularly.

The big issue, is that YES more than likely never got paid a whole lot for the first 4 albums, and the one album that is still paying them is CTTE, at least according to Bill Bruford's book ... he's not complaining and at the very least he is thankful for it.

Back to the thread title ... MONEY was released as a single for the AM dial in America, and it was cut in half (with the one word not there of course!), and even the FM radio stations lambasted the AM stations for playing the small version ... however, I never thought that the song was as valuable as the whole album was, and I did not like separating one song from the whole idea/concept of the album ... it felt like I had to take your right arm off so I could show it off to all the folks what a magnificent specimen it is of the human culture .... !!!!!!!! 

But that said the likes of ELP , Yes , Genesis were very popular in the UK in the early seventies and the albums also sold very well in Europe despite the lack of airplay. Even the likes of Focus and Camel had a fair few fans! 

FOCUS made it in America with the rowdy single that was quite a fun piece of music to play. CAMEL got played, I think a lot after Guy Guden played so much from MIRAGE, and the next month or so, MOONMADNESS flew out and it got played a lot.

Guy Guden should have gotten credit for a lot of these bands ... PF was not a regular play anywhere until after DSOTM and even then, not right away either ... but Guy had been playing PF since the days of Syd Barrett. Guy should have gotten some credit for Gentle Giant, Supertramp, Golden Earring (with the famous moment and one of my favorites of one DJ speaking over "Are You Receiving Me?" ... saying that it was not "rock'n'roll ... and Guy slowing the song to a complete stop and then saying ... "I don't care ... it's GREAT MUSIC!". And the song re-wound up to normal speed again. Average White Band should have gotten him some credit ... he even had a fake commercial created (Guy was also a writer and actor!) where a music industry guy was saying that Ernie and the Crotch-hairs would be the next hit and that this new thing will never, ever hit the air waves ... and he went on to play AWB ... and it took a week, and everyone at the station started playing it and the following week someone in LA "discovered" AWB.

That ought to give you a bit of an idea about the time and place ... I first saw PF in 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl, a famous time for them with the QUADRAPHONIC sound going around the whole place, giving it a "reality" that helped the music feel a lot more personal and real to your experience. Later, they converted this to a concept/story (DSOTM) and of course, later still they even made a movie of it all ... the "experience" was now "real" and complete, instead of just apparent sound effects with a few lines for fun, that came off as stoned ... but probably weren't.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 16:52
It's obvious isn't it? Time is the greatest song by leaps and bounds. Heads above the rest. In fact, most songs and albums centered around the concept of time are pretty darn tootin'. Time is an interesting concept, second only to ... I digress.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 20:59

It's true that Genesis only became really big when in 1978 they released ATTWT (an album I love btw) because it was easy to program the songs for radio. It was clever that at least they kept the prog vibe going on tracks like Deep In The Motherlode and Undertow. Wasn't to last long though.

Th UK being a relatively small country meant that a band could become big by word of mouth and if you were prepared to do a bit of work (ie get off your arses and play live) then there were rewards. I often wish we could go back to this. Modern music is being strangled by radio and commercial interests. I hear bits of this and that at work and its just horrible auto tuned crap. Also worryingly , the line up at Glastonbury must have been one of the worst yet. Music is not in a good place at the moment.

Signed ''Old Fart''
Smile

OK, perhaps to restore a little bit of faith to you, in contrast to your saying that 90125 being the best selling Yes album, I remember particularly at the music store I visit frequently, lately they have had some Genesis albums (I'm not sure if they still have them at the moment), and the ones they have are the Gabriel era ones, not the 80's pop ones.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 00:42
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Signed ''Old Fart''
Smile

OK, perhaps to restore a little bit of faith to you, in contrast to your saying that 90125 being the best selling Yes album, I remember particularly at the music store I visit frequently, lately they have had some Genesis albums (I'm not sure if they still have them at the moment), and the ones they have are the Gabriel era ones, not the 80's pop ones.

Is that vinyl only or includes CD?

I suspect the 'Vinyl Crowd' are in general a very different animal and more interested in the checking out the 'good stuff'.

Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 13:16

Nowadays… Eclipse.

I recently saw one. Listened to DSOTM. 

Wow… DSOTM is such a mature work… it leads me to think it's THE ultimate mature album ever… both musically and in concept; each song deals with some central aspect of modern adult life, with so much elegance, needless to say... (I already thought so, but seeing the eclipse that afternoon listening to it, especially the same name song -which I've never cared much about before- got me thinking... perhaps the whole album was inspired by these guys seeing one of these).

Seeing something like this (possibly a once-in-a-lifetime view), makes one certainly reflect about time, life, work and existence, many of such topics addressed by DSOTM, (alongside war, money, etc.), but I mean, some of the central issues of one's 'modern' life both at a global and personal level.

In any case, my all time faves are:

· Breathe (that start... sound-wise, oh my! and Gilmour's voice...)
· Time (especially the chorus/quiet part: 'Tired of lying...' and the Breathe reprise)
· Us and Them
· Any Colour you Like
· Great Gig..

All of them really… perhaps Money is the most listened to, but still a great track. "On the run" I find it interesting; and Brain Damage, perhaps among the more approachable at very first, and guitar-friendly for playing it, maybe I don't listen to as often.. but is a hallmark of this album, deals with another theme, insanity, and IMO is a great antechamber for the grand conclusion, Eclipse.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 14:07
no way i can choose
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 18:57
Favorite: Time

I often skip On the Run and Great Gig.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 19:08
The masterpiece is the sequence

- Time /The Great Gig in the Sky

Very Good
- Us and Them
- Money

The other songs are fillers, mostly quite good, but not so great.

On the Run is the worst, maybe the only bad song.

In my opinion, TDSOTM is an overrated album.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 20:49

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Signed ''Old Fart''
Smile

Is that vinyl only or includes CD?

I suspect the 'Vinyl Crowd' are in general a very different animal and more interested in the checking out the 'good stuff'.

No, on the CD section. The Vinyl sections is still rather small (though it's been increasing slightly), and I haven't payed so much attention to it. I was telling one of the guys over there the other day that if they had vinyls, they should have Brain Salad Surgery, just because of the cover. Of course, I don't expect them to take it seriously (though they had that album on the CD's section lately too).
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 08:33
Favorite: Us and Them
Least favorite: Speak to Me
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:17
Favourite: Brain Damage
Least Favourite: Any Colour You Like
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:30
Best: Us and Them
Worst: Speak To Me (because it's short and doesn't really do much)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Worst: Speak To Me (because it's short and doesn't really do much)

it's just an intro that goes smoothly into Breathe. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123