Hurricane and total solar eclipse in one shot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane and total solar eclipse in one shot
    Posted: July 16 2019 at 21:25
ahh man.. thanks but nothing to be sorry for. Instead of a normal life.. I got to live a rollercoaster of a life A lot of bad things.. more than a few stupid things I should have never lived thorugh.. a lot of great things.  It made me the person I am today.. hence the wonder at how different I might be today if life hadn't thrown that change up to me and lived a normal straight line life.  No way in hell I would have dropped out of college and done my part for God, country and of course the big oil companies and take part in a belly fulll of killing and just plain slaughter n Iraq.  

I'm not sure if things happen for a reason.. but what i do believe is the person I am today is a better one for having experienced thing and done things that many haven't.. and probably couldn't even imagine from the comfort of their normal life perceptions.  The thing my parents inadvertantly did is remove the yoke of expectations from me.  From then on.. it was my life.. and I was living it the way I wanted and yeah.. it cost me a marriage later on when I did drop out of college a semester short of two degrees to do what I wanted to do.. not what was expected of me.. by her.. or my parents.  They are all gone now..  out of my life.. and you know what. Doing what I have been doing as a blue collar working class grunt who (as my ex once infamous told me as she tossed a pan at me once.. going to work with my name embroidered on my shirt) and all it cost me to do it.. the best decision I ever made.  I am one of the best in my field.. make killer money and am highly valued by my company and I enjoy the challenge of a job where one bad day is not a paper cut.. but getting incinerated or having limbs blown off. That kind of work keeps one not only on point and engaged every single day of work.. but keeps one young and sprite to say nothing and being a week short of 50 and I still have the body of a greek God of my 20's and regularly work 20 year olds into the ground.  

Life's been challenging but it has been nothing but interesting. Beer

Edited by micky - July 16 2019 at 21:27
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 16:43
hehe… In a sense sorry t' hear that Micky. 

But things happen for a reason (I think). Indeed it's strange... it makes me think of Shrodinger's cat and stuff like that, and how many choices that don't come to pass, at least in this universe, could've been discarding as one goes on with his life here (not saying it, but according to some interpretations of quantum mechanics etc. etc. etc.), but… also remember if one is to change his actual path in life it means the bad and the good for also the good and the bad of the alternative path methinks… I'm rambling, I know, but since we're in a science related thread… Tongue

In my case I studied Mechanical Engineering at the University and thankfully my parents could afford it, but they were many ungrateful years… it did have its good moments though: with a few friends (some that had also been school mates) we exchanged a lot of music! and we were able to take courses from the Music program at another campus (where it was along with Literature and other Humanity programs… so the girls were darn prettier!) for some semesters... and pass them as electives… that was great! I always did good at math and liked physics a lot... but I'm of those that don't believe in an eternal program of theoretical courses. Also, one is so young at that stage...! Nowadays I work as a software consultant and programmer.

Edited by Machinemessiah - July 15 2019 at 20:54
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 07:51
ahhh... astronomy was one of my great passions when young.  Rivaled only by my passion for history. I got accepted to UofA's astronomy program out of HS and wonder how much different my life might have been if my parents hadn't told me .. umm.. great that you did, proud of you son but we ain't paying for that lol. What a long strange trip life can be man.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 15:34
Great page with next eclipses... solar, lunar and transits.

Next one is a partial lunar on 16-17 July:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 15:18
You're right... I haven't realised that.

Just in case, that reminded me of this great quality video a friend sent to me recently. Jeeze… very good indeed… it answers many questions about Earth's formation. The Moon's in the first 5 mins.

Great animations! it made me remember a very different kind of animation that was shown to us at school back then Smile (without disparaging) ...but seems I needed an update.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 17:33
Thumbs Up hell yeah man..  that is the way to do it.  Hell I read the moon is actually moving away from the Earth and at some point.. these will be the stuff of urban legend for future generations and we will no longer hae total eclipses no more. Not sure what kind of time frame they are talking about.. centuries.. millellium? Imagine it isn't anywhere near our or our children's lifetimes as these would get more import for their soon to be extinction
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Really cool.. was a hotter than hell day in the middle of summer here...and man alive did you feel the temperature drop along with becoming like dusk out... and we pretty much killed the 6 pack and sat on the porch wordlessly and took it all in.  Definitely a real spectacle of nature at its finest. 

Here's winter… and the maximum was past 4:30 pm... it lasted some 2:20 hours, so when the sun was setting it still got a tiny bit of the moon on its upper side. Certainly the temperature dropped (I put on my coat) and the light dimmed... quite bizarre!.

Saw it at home; managed to get a free afternoon at work; got a beer, a cigar and put on Dark Side of the Moon on decibels... Tongue ...oh man...

Edited by Machinemessiah - July 09 2019 at 12:06
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2019 at 12:55
sexy 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 16:29
yeah they are a kick in  the pants aint' they.  That one that passed over the states a few years ago was the first I remember seeing.  Something akin to what you had... not total ..we were just a tad bit north but man alive was it party central.  I was working at this dudes house replacing his service and when it hit Oregon...  he called out to me.. hey Mick.. get your ass in here and see this and as soon as I walked in he handed me a beer and bottle of Jamison's. Needless to say we enjoyed the spectacle for a bit until I needed to get back out and try to finish before it got across the states to us.

Really cool.. was a hotter than hell day in the middle of summer here...and man alive did you feel the temperature drop along with becoming like dusk out... and we pretty much killed the 6 pack and sat on the porch wordlessly and took it all in.  Definitely a real spectacle of nature at its finest. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 15:37

The solar eclipse passed by here! Chile.. Clap

In Santiago, where I live, it was not total, but 92%! 

Absolutely beautiful; I've never seen one… for those of us who dig those things, breath taking…

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 05:10
Its in real a black hole :o
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 05:06
wow that is awesome!  Hadn't seen that picture before.  You rock Friede!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 00:56
This awesome shot by the NOAA/NASA GOES West satellite from July 2nd 2019 shows hurricane Barbara passing North of a total solar eclipse. Since both are clearly recognizable I don't have to point out where they are.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply