6 [27.27%]
16 [72.73%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Cars vs Supertramp
    Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:04
I was thinking about this one and although Supertramp is technically on this site this is their more poppy album.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 23 2019 at 09:43
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:14
How about Supertramps in Cars. Now that's a thread worth voting on LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:37
pffff..   2 words

Paulina Porizkova... oh wait..hell yeah.. make that 4 words

Phoebe Cates!  Woo hoo!!!  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:39
The person that coined the name Supertramp is the guitarist and lyracist of thier first album Riachard Palmer-James
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:45
do I have to post it people.. really... do I for I will..   the album.. the song.. the movie that gave rise to a legend.  Great album Supertramp.. and by far the best you did.. but you really can't compare to the legend..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:16
Supertramp- Breakfast in America
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:20
The Cars were fun when they first came out...but even though it's pop rock at times...Breakfast is a keeper...
Tramp it is.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:46
Both superb albums. Giving a *slight* edge to Supertramp because its high points are higher, though the. Ars might be more consistently good on their album (though I’ve never liked Dontcha Stop).

Edited by HolyMoly - July 22 2019 at 16:46
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:12
Breakfast in America
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:43
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Both superb albums. Giving a *slight* edge to Supertramp because its high points are higher, though the. Ars might be more consistently good on their album (though I’ve never liked Dontcha Stop).

Maybe the weakest link on a great album. The second Cars album "Candy O" is quite good too and probably more experimental/progressive(in a new wave sort of way of course). 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe the weakest link on a great album. The second Cars album "Candy O" is quite good too and probably more experimental/progressive(in a new wave sort of way of course). 

And I think the third, Panorama, even more so (experimental in a new wave way)?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pffff..   2 words

Paulina Porizkova... oh wait..hell yeah.. make that 4 words

Phoebe Cates!  Woo hoo!!!  

Speaking of women associated with the Cars and models the model on the cover of the Cars first album unfortunately passed away in 2003 at the age of 44. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:52
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I never heard Panorama. Is it good? I had heartbeat city as a teen on cassette tape and recently bought it again on cd but I find the eighties production kind of tough to get used to. It hasn't worn so well with time imo.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 19:42

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I never heard Panorama. Is it good? I had heartbeat city as a teen on cassette tape and recently bought it again on cd but I find the eighties production kind of tough to get used to. It hasn't worn so well with time imo.

Yeah, I think it is. It is the most "out there" Cars album. The shift you detected on Candy O toward experimental/new wave went the furthest on Panorama. Then they pulled things back a bit on Shake It Up, before going big time commercial on Heartbeat City. If you liked that side of Candy O, you'll def want to hear Panorama sometime.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 19:59
^So Panorama is the Cars equivalent of U2's Zooropa? I'll keep that in mind. I actually knew a guy who's favorite band was the Cars and he said the only one to really stay away from unless you are a hardcore fan was "door to door"(the last one they did for a while). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2019 at 20:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:08
^
And even that one isn't horrible. I'll admit that it is not as exciting to me as the first four, which are my faves, but it's a grower. They just weren't quite as hungry at that point and it shows, but it doesn't suck.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:26
Maybe not but it is their lowest rated album on all music and rate your music. I won't rule it out though. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:42
Both are great but I prefer Supertramp.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 03:28
I like very much Breakfast in America!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 03:39
Supertramp!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>