Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree vs Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [13.11%]
45 [73.77%]
6 [9.84%]
2 [3.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree vs Yes
    Posted: July 25 2019 at 15:11
I thought of adding a "Yes by far" option but that can be said in the comments section. Plus I'd have to put a PT by far option too. Yes is maybe the first real prog band I got into and go deep with me. I'll discuss my feelings about PT later. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 15:20
I’m tempted to vote yes, but admittedly I haven’t listened to Porcupine Tree enough to fairily judge so I’m not gonna vote. I could see myself voting either though as I get more into PT
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 15:30
I respect your honesty. I think Yes is a band that has sort of gone down the tubes in popularity while PT has gained popularity in recent years so I feel like it's definitely a fair match up. Also, being that PT has broken up a while ago now and Yes is still touring evens things out a bit. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 16:23
You don't seriously think that PT stands a chance here!?
Anyway I'm not the biggest Yes fan around and quite like some PT, but there's no way around the fact that Yes has a few stellar albums. I'd rate PT's best probably about as high and my preference depends on the mood of the day, so ultimately it's a draw. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 16:41
Yes, easily.  I consider Porcupine Tree ok.  I mean I'll listen to them before I listen to Rush.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 16:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You don't seriously think that PT stands a chance here!?
Anyway I'm not the biggest Yes fan around and quite like some PT, but there's no way around the fact that Yes has a few stellar albums. I'd rate PT's best probably about as high and my preference depends on the mood of the day, so ultimately it's a draw. 

It's a good way to see how many younger prog fans are on here. Wink Seriously, I don't know. I won't assume anything here. Yes beat Rush so anything is possible.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 17:34
All the Porcupine Tree albums laid end to end, slathered in gold and studded with diamonds are not as good as The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE or Relayer, singularly.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 17:56
YES
E  E
SEY
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 18:36
Both are among my favorites. 

Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 18:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I thought of adding a "Yes by far" option but that can be said in the comments section. 

I'll bite: Yes by far.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 19:07
Steven Wilson is a true Prog-rock hero.

But Yes by a mile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 19:13
Hmmmm, it looks like someone did this same poll(but without the additional options that I usually add)back in 2011. The final results of that were Yes with 62 votes and PT with 38. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. I don't know if PA has as many active members as it did back then so the results might be a bit different.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2019 at 19:14
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 19:50
when Yes was great few could match their progginess---but their career has had many ups and downs and for years it has been a big sad down--no classic guys no Yes----but still classic Yes by far.

(But P Tree is more interesting music and better  than Yes west --Wink)

Edited by twosteves - July 26 2019 at 07:14
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 20:13
Yes is one of the biggest bands in our genre and Porcupine Tree? Well.... Not even close!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 20:32
I do like Porcupine Tree a lot, but I believe even Steven Wilson himself would vote for Yes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 21:14
Well many seem to think Yes's peak was 71-72 and it was more or less all down hill from there. Three very solid albums, a few minor classics after that but not much else. For Porcupine Tree the consensus seems to be 2002-2007 which includes 3 solid classics and a few minor classics before it and one good album later(their final album). So in many ways it's a very close match up. In theory Yes should not win a landslide over PT. I think maybe most prog fans are a bit on the older side(no offense since I'm not exactly a spring chicken either anymore)and maybe have a bit more of a nostalgia soft spot for Yes than for PT.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2019 at 21:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 21:16
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Yes is one of the biggest bands in our genre and Porcupine Tree? Well.... Not even close!

Can you name a bigger band in prog from the past 25 years than Porcupine Tree?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 21:55
yes
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 22:01
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Can you name a bigger band in prog from the past 25 years than Porcupine Tree?

Dream Theater.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 22:01
Yes by a gazillion lengths.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>