Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weirdest Albums Proggers Appear On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 06:51
Cartsten Bohn the drummer of Frumpy and Carsten Bohns Bandstand composed hundred of
pieces of Background music for children audio dramas tapes.

Every child in Germany had some of those in the 70s/80s. And they are still famous here
and still sold on tapes.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 07:27
^ Past members of Soft Machine and Tangerine Dream put out background and library music for companies etc.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:41
Brian Eno played keyboards and contributed also with sound fx & vocals on

The Neville Brothers ‎'s Yellow Moon  album from 1989

Edited by Quinino - August 05 2019 at 08:42
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:49
Robert Fripp played on a Daryl Hall album. Other than that I can't really think of specific albums off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh yeah, the members of Yes played on an album by jazz musician Eddie Henderson back in the mid 70's or so.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 05 2019 at 08:51
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

What are some of the most random album appearances you've discovered?

I was surprised to find Bruford randomly appeared on a partially narrated album based on "Peter and the Wolf" with a number of other proggers, but only contributed a few snare hits to one track.

Also Robert Fripp randomly produced two albums by Irish vocal trio "The Roches" (I have one and it's pretty good - he adds a few nice guitar parts to several tracks).

The Roaches are an American group--specifcially I think New Jersey not Ireland. I know some of them.

not sure if that was a joke but this is the trio I was referring to lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_On_Doing
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 10:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Edit: Oh yeah, the members of Yes played on an album by jazz musician Eddie Henderson back in the mid 70's or so.

I stand corrected. It was Eddie Harris not Henderson and it was Alan White, Chris Squire and Tony Kaye who played on a few tracks on his E.H. in the UK album(which has rather poor ratings and reviews). Ian Paice, Boz Burrel and Jeff Beck(among others)also appear on the album.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 10:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Jon Anderson did some vocals on a Toto song on their 1988 album The Seventh One (Mushanga). 
Nope not that song, but Stoped Loving You , i know cauwe i have doctorate in Totolianisme. Also Miles Davies plays trumpet on the Lst track on "Farhenheit" album "Don't Stop Me Now".

Edited by Icarium - August 05 2019 at 10:52
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 11:08
Laurie Wisefield of Wishbone Ash-fame became the touring-guitarist for Tina Turner.

Chuck Leavell of Allman Brothers and Sea Level-fame became a Rolling Stones-member.

Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep did a few albums with southern-native-american-rockband Blackfoot.

Genesis-singer Ray Wilson sang with eurotrance-dj Armin van Buuren (or at least appeared on some songs produced by Armin van Buuren).

Ian McDonald of King Crimson-fame was one of the founding members of poprock-group Foreigner (great band, but far from prog, I guess).

And check out the 550+ albums that Mel Collins (King Crimson, Cirkus, Camel, etc.) played on: https://www.discogs.com/artist/18160-Mel-Collins?filter_anv=0&type=Credits
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 11:08
Prog and rock session keyboardist Rabbit plays on some well known reggae albums.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 11:10
Ian Anderson, Mel Collins, Rick Wakeman (but also Punk-legend Henry Rollins, Iggy Pop and ZZ-top' Billy Gibbons):

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 12:33
Speaking of Tina Turner, her one time keyboardist and saxophonist, Tim Cappello, played on the first two Peter Gabriel albums. I actually saw her in 1995 and remember that guy specifically because I thought it was unusual that someone who is an obvious body builder could be such a talented musician. Anyway, I also noticed that one of Tina's albums featured Trevor Rabin on guitars(and had a few tracks produced by that other Trevor). 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 14:16
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Genesis-singer Ray Wilson sang with eurotrance-dj Armin van Buuren (or at least appeared on some songs produced by Armin van Buuren).

Armin just mixed one of Ray's songs (Another Day). Ray did the video with the DJ. 
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 15:25
also it's cool that Tina and the Ikettes did the backing vocals on Overnite Sensation
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 16:04
^Wow, I didn't know she was on any of his albums.

Anyway, I think the weirdest combination I can think of is Brian Eno appearing on Paul Simon's Surprise album. Was Eno supposed to be the surprise? LOL Very good album regardless though. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 21:13
The Roaches are an American group--specifcially I think New Jersey not Ireland. I know some of them.

not sure if that was a joke but this is the trio I was referring to lol

It's 3 sisters from New Jersey The Roches--(spelled it wrong) -known for their harmony--one is dead one is still touring with her daughter---shes the one I know---she had a child with Louden Wainwright III---the group has several good albums including a great Xmas album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 22:15
The Roches were folk/folk rock. I listened to a bit of them on youtube but don't really remember much about them. Not bad I suppose. Anyway, kind of uncharacteristic for Fripp but then again he jumped off the prog band wagon when it seemed like everyone else did for a while so it probably wasn't that much of a surprise either. He even eventually wound up marrying a woman who was much more of a new waver than a progger.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 22:22
Billy Sherwood on a William Shatner album was fairly weird!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 22:35
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Billy Sherwood on a William Shatner album was fairly weird!

True, but in this case it's almost difficult to know which one is contributing more to the weird factor. LOL Shatner is weird. We already know that. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 23:36
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Tony Levin played with Paul MacCartney.

And recorded with John Lennon.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 23:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Robert Fripp played on a Daryl Hall album. Other than that I can't really think of specific albums off the top of my head.

And Hall sang on Fripp's Exposure album.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>