Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weirdest Albums Proggers Appear On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 23:43
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Billy Sherwood on a William Shatner album was fairly weird!

Yep those albums are fun!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 23:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics to "Land of Make Believe" by Bucks Fizz.

and it was a UK number one Tongue

he also wrote the lyrics for I Believe In Father Christmas (not Lake as is often mistakenly believed) and Closer To Believing
Smile

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 23:46
Ian Anderson played a guest spot on Mary Youngblood's album Feed the Fire.

Fripp backed up Howe on a version of Sleep Walk from Quantum Guitar.

Howe did a guest appearance on the title track of Queen's Innuendo, but I suppose that is common knowledge.

Ollie Halsall was one of the Rutles.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 00:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Edit: Oh yeah, the members of Yes played on an album by jazz musician Eddie Henderson back in the mid 70's or so.

I stand corrected. It was Eddie Harris not Henderson and it was Alan White, Chris Squire and Tony Kaye who played on a few tracks on his E.H. in the UK album(which has rather poor ratings and reviews). Ian Paice, Boz Burrel and Jeff Beck(among others)also appear on the album.

Curiously enough, when going to Discogs to track down the album (based off of your original post), I found another jazz (or jazzy) album with 3 Yes members (Howe, White and Anderson) from around the same time by Johnny Harris. Although it doesn't sound too far out of their comfort zone.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 02:20
I was pleasantly suprised to hear Ian Anderson play flute on Honeymoon Suite-song.
Also the keyboardist (Ray Coburn) of Honeymoon Suite was touring musician of popprogband Saga during the late 80's.

David Sancious (a fusion-keboardist/guitarist, not really prog) played with Bruce Springsteen and Sting.
Sting had a lot of fusion-musicians in his band.

Fusion-musicians tend to crossover much easier than progrock-musicians.
A lot of fusion-musicians did hip-hop, acid-jazz, jazzfunk, metal, etc.

Also Phil Collins (of Genesis-fame) played drums on Woman in Chains of Tears for Fears.

Another fun-crossover is the Ozric Tentacles playing a significant role in the completion of https://www.discogs.com/Senser-Stacked-Up/master/21425 (rapthrashacidjazzpsychrock)
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 02:36
^ Speaking of Ozric Tentacles, a couple band members split off to do the trance/techno group Eat Static.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 02:41
^ And don't forget ZubZub (more drum&bass, but also very techno-inspired).

Ozrics were closely related to a lot of psybient and psytrance bands like Ott, Entheogenic, Sphongle, etc.
Very great stuff, maybe some of those bands could be included as progressive electronic.

The link of progrock and electronic is more obvious than people realize.
The members of Hidria Spacefolk contributed to electronic albums. In Finland the different scenes are more interwoven.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 02:50
True, and Fripp was part of that world via The Orb and FFWD, plus some other artists too.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 08:26

The Roches were folk/folk rock. I listened to a bit of them on youtube but don't really remember much about them. Not bad I suppose. Anyway, kind of uncharacteristic for Fripp but then again he jumped off the prog band wagon when it seemed like everyone else did for a while so it probably wasn't that much of a surprise either. He even eventually wound up marrying a woman who was much more of a new waver than a progger.

I think Fripp may have been romantically involved briefly with one of the sisters which is why he worked with themSmile

Billy Sherwood on a William Shatner album was fairly weird!

True, but in this case it's almost difficult to know which one is contributing more to the weird factor. LOL Shatner is weird. We already know that. 

very true!! Seems Sherwood will appear anywhere LOL

Edited by twosteves - August 06 2019 at 08:30
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 08:53
 I almost forgot to mention the "The Deep End"-sessions by Gov't Mule.

Because of the death of founded bassist Allen Woody, they invited a multitude of bassplayers (and other guests) to play on 2 full lenght albums and a double live cd/dvd.

Some progsters that appeared on these albums were:

Chris Squire (Yes)
Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
Dave Schools (Widespread Panic)
Alphonso Johnson (Weather Report)
Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel etc.)
and a lot lot more (mostly jazz, funk, blues, jamband)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Jon Anderson did some vocals on a Toto song on their 1988 album The Seventh One (Mushanga). 
Nope not that song, but Stoped Loving You , i know cauwe i have doctorate in Totolianisme. Also Miles Davies plays trumpet on the Lst track on "Farhenheit" album "Don't Stop Me Now".

right, my bad Embarrassed
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:22
The legend that is Jem Godfrey of Frost* fame wrote some of Atomic Kitten's biggest hits...I kid you not
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:53
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The legend that is Jem Godfrey of Frost* fame wrote some of Atomic Kitten's biggest hits...I kid you not

I knew he had produced them.
According to Wiki they were founded by OMD members Stuart Kershaw and Andy McCluskey and their big hit was co written by all 3 plus a guy called Bill Padley. They were all nominated for the Ivor Novello award for excellence in song writing!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:57
Did you also know that Jem worked with Gary Barlow on several songs including those for a Broadway musical? Wiki is a mine of interesting information!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 08:46
^^

Also Gary Barlow was produced and backed on keys by Peter John Vettese of Jethro Tull.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 09:20
And of course Take That's bassist is It Bites' very own Lee Pomeroy.....he was nearly close enough to call out to when we saw them in May!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:34
Subtly weird, but David Gilmour played on the McCartney albums Give My Regards to Broad Street, Flowers in the Dirt, and Run Devil Run. He also appeared in McCartney's 1999 concert film shot at the Cavern Club along side Ian Paice.

Edited by Rednight - August 15 2019 at 10:38
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 14:29
Also - I forgot to mention the three Joni Mitchell albums that Vinnie Colaiuta appeared on - Wild Things Run Fast, Dog Eat Dog and Night Ride Home.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 07:42
Rick Wakeman is credited on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 07:44
Jon anderson is background / featured vocals on a track by Gowan called 'Moonlight Desires' he also appears prominently in the video. Lawrence Gowan currently is with Styx.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>