Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weirdest Albums Proggers Appear On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 07:46
Look up Gavin Harrison over Wikipedia
Quite the studio musician that has played with all kinds of artists..literally!

Then again a lot of the musicians we know from prog and fusion bands probably makes a living playing alongside big pop stars, when they aren’t involved in a feisty solo in front of a bearded crowd of 50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

Rick Wakeman is credited on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Don Airey played on Never Say Die , perhaps not so strange as tends to me more associated with metal than prog although he can play as well as any prog keyboard player!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 11:53
IF PA JRF counts, the weirdest in my collection is probably Space Jazz: The soundtrack of the book Battlefield Earth which features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. It's not strange that those Scientologists would appear on such an album, Return to Forever having Scientology themes (including in the same itself), but I find Scientology to be very strange and I do find the album itself strange.

Chick Corea was also involved with L. Ron Hubbard's The Road to Freedom album, and the, I'd say, Prog related artist Edgar Winter produced, arranged and performed on Hubbard's Mission Earth (released after LRH's death following details written out by LRH for the album). To the Stars is another Scientology album from the Chick Corea Elektric Band.

Edited by Logan - August 28 2019 at 11:54
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 12:13
^ I'm pretty sure Stanley is an ex-scientologist, not sure about Chick, but at least he does not mention it much anymore. Scientology is bad, very bad.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 13:28
I've read before that Stanley Clarke left Scientology in the 80s, and was going to say that I'm fairly confident that he remains an ex-Scientologist, but I looked it up and now I'm not so sure. https://tonyortega.org/2018/08/16/stanley-clarke-turns-out-to-be-as-deep-into-scientology-as-we-feared-all-these-years-later/   I think Corea is still a Scientologist, but maybe not so involved now.   In the late 90s he was still very involved.

And yes, Scientology is very bad (I got very into researching that org at one time). A while ago I went to a night market and they offered auditing there.

That said, this Scientology produced video is very entertaining in a creepy as f*** way:

Getting more off-topic, but the Dan Jones soundtrack for Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie is a modern, if rather retro, fave of mine.

Edited by Logan - August 28 2019 at 13:28
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 13:59
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ I'm pretty sure Stanley is an ex-scientologist, not sure about Chick, but at least he does not mention it much anymore. Scientology is bad, very bad.

Chick Corea is still a scientologist. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 14:06
So who was worse L. Ron Hubbard or Ayn Rand? At least Ayn Rand influenced Rush. Tongue 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2019 at 14:06
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 14:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So who was worse L. Ron Hubbard or Ayn Rand? At least Ayn Rand influenced Rush. Tongue 

Just for that, I'll give worst to Ayn Rand. ;)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"I've read before that Stanley Clarke left Scientology in the 80s," ...
Good thing, too. I saw that one documentary on the "religion" (can't remember its title) and got spooked pretty good.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 15:37

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Just for that, I'll give worst to Ayn Rand. ;)

Don't blame me. Blame Rush. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 16:38
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Speaking of Ozric Tentacles, a couple band members split off to do the trance/techno group Eat Static.

Merv Pepler and Joie Hinton. Abduction was the best one. But none of it's aged well, unless you're really into that stuff.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 17:06

I've read before that Stanley Clarke left Scientology in the 80s, and was going to say that I'm fairly confident that he remains an ex-Scientologist, but I looked it up and now I'm not so sure. https://tonyortega.org/2018/08/16/stanley-clarke-turns-out-to-be-as-deep-into-scientology-as-we-feared-all-these-years-later/

How disappointing. Confused

I think Corea is still a Scientologist, but maybe not so involved now.   In the late 90s he was still very involved.

Corea certainly is. Other notable rock/prog/jazz musicians who are members of the CoS are Billy Sheehan and John Novello of Niacin, Mark Isham, Steve Miller and Edgar Winter. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 06:31
bump

nice thread, deserves a resurrection, any more stories of unexpected collaborations? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 08:34
NOt answering this thread's theme, but Mrs. Edith Fripp on her son's Exposure.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 08:53
Hi,

I was thinking that Mel Collins might have a hard time remembering how many groups he has played with and how many albums!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 09:01
Maybe someone could start a  thread called 'Rockers and Scientology'....

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 10:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Jon Anderson did some vocals on a Toto song on their 1988 album The Seventh One.
That same year, Anderson's In the City of Angels had Toto's Lukather, Paich, and the Porcaro brothers as supporting players.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking that Mel Collins might have a hard time remembering how many groups he has played with and how many albums!
Come to think of it, Collins was on Tears for Fears The Hurting.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Jon Anderson did some vocals on a Toto song on their 1988 album The Seventh One.
That same year, Anderson's In the City of Angels had Toto's Lukather, Paich, and the Porcaro brothers as supporting players.
Funny enough, a couple of weeks ago I was listening to Spotify radio and they played Stop Loving You by Toto.  It was one of those songs that I knew I had heard before but I couldn't place who the artist was.  I was trying to figure out who it was when it was like "hey, I think that is Jon Anderson singing background vocals".  At which point, I thought it might be Toto.  I checked my Spotify playlist, and sure enough that is who it was.  
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 09:52
Jon Anderson singing b vox on this wonderful Christian rock song "All I Need" by the band 4HIM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sNTGhvVjs&ab_channel=ChrisBurgess

Also, anybody ever heard Peter Gabriel's 1976 version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" from the album All this and World War II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5T9ZW5gN7M&ab_channel=CthulhuWaitsDreaming

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>