Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma “Zëss” Gold Colored Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma “Zëss” Gold Colored Vinyl
    Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:45
French Music Legends Magma To Release New Album “Zëss” On Limited Edition Gold Colored Vinyl

Limited edition of 1500 numbered copies on 180 gram audiophile gold colored vinyl

Magma's critically acclaimed newest album Zëss is a 38-minute musical work by Christian Vander. Composed in 1970, Zëss had long been plagued by its incompleteness, its recording was deferred for years. Four decades after its first draft, the work has finally been recorded in an orchestral version that gives it both its true dreamlike dimension and its transcending power. The first public performance took place in Bourges in 1979. It is the last piece in a series of unfinished compositions from the 1970s. During the last 15 years, they finished and released all these different pieces. Zëss is described as a work that touches the philosophical domain by its treatment of the idea of nothingness and its evocation of the theme of time.

Magma turned fifty this year, catapulting into the very exclusive circle of bands who for five decades have never laid down their instruments, nor turned down their volume! The oldest French band still in existence has always played at full sail, never yielding to the siren song of passing trends. The fiercely original music has tirelessly adhered to the highest artistic standards while still reaching a wide audience of all ages.

Zëss is available for pre-order as a limited edition of 1500 numbered copies on gold colored vinyl. The package includes a 4-page booklet. The vinyl edition will be released on September 20, 2019.

Magma zess vinyl expanded med.jpg

180 gram audiophile vinyl
Brand new album
Gatefold sleeve with UV spot varnish
4-page booklet
Limited edition of 1500 numbered copies on gold colored vinyl

More information about this release: 

To pre-order: 

Magma's official website: https://www.magmamusic.org/en/home/

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 1-828-350-8158 (US), [email protected]

Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 16:09
WTF...?!

I received my gold "Zess" today, and the b-side has been mistakenly mastered in MONO!

Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 06:40
Hmm.

It seems I'm the only person on Planet Earth who actually listened to this, and actually cares that it's not mastered correctly. 

1. There's been zero response on this board, even from the original poster (whom would would presume has the vinyl). 
2. I contacted musiconvinyl (who pressed it) immediately about the problem. No response. 
3. I contacted Seventh Records (Magma's company) (who promises a response with 48 hours). No response. 
4. I contacted Amazon (U.S.) who thanked me and said they'd remove the item for sale. They didn't. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:40
Originally posted by Penguhwin Penguhwin wrote:

Hmm.

It seems I'm the only person on Planet Earth who actually listened to this, and actually cares that it's not mastered correctly. 

Either way, this is a magnificent album and I have heard this several times, and not on a CD ... it was on SPACE PIRATE RADIO, done by Guy Guden. AND IT WAS PLAYED IN ITS ENTIRETY ...  the only time, and place that you will EVER hear it in its entirety, except maybe, your home!

Guy has played MAGMA since 1974 and has never cheated, and always played the complete pieces each and every time he could and made room for it. Even if not "mastered" perfectly as you expect, this is an incredible piece of work and should have been treated like one ... and we don't know the specifics of that recording as yet, but maybe one should make some noise on the boards THAT MATTER, in order to try and get a response, and maybe get the record company to rescind their product until it is cleaned up and fixed.

My guess is that it is impossible to make that part "better", without hurting a lot of the recording ... some of those vocal parts by Christian ... I'm not sure I would have the courage to touch them! And mono would likely have to stay in order not to make a mess of things ... wish I knew better the situation but this particular reason is one ... that I never fall for ... pretty soon it will be covered in .... 

Oh, btw, keep SW off this, please!

Edited by moshkito - October 11 2019 at 06:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 07:05
Hi, moshkito

Thanks for your reply. I, too, absolutely love this piece of music. So much, in fact, that I bought the CD, and then wanted it on vinyl as well. The CD, of course, is in stereo throughout, but (as I said) they've screwed up side two of the LP by mastering it in mono. I HAVE contacted the record company (no response), and I don't know where you mean by "boards THAT MATTER," since I don't generally participate in progressive rock boards. 
glassonyonpr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 09:05
I will check with the label but your are the first to mention...
Thanks
Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 11:55
Thanks, glassonyonpr. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 09:47

Thanks, glassonyonpr. 

I'm always concerned when we start on the stereo/mono or digital/crapper something or other ... and the reason is really simple ... we are not listening!

THERE IS A SOURCE FOR THE WORK AND WHERE IT CAME FROM ... AND THAT SOURCE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS ... ITS FEELING IS WHAT ALLOWS YOU TO ENJOY IT ... not the recording quality ... if it is not sounding perfectly clear the way you like it, you are telling me ... that not only are you NOT LISTENING to the artist, but you are expecting that artist to sound like something he/she is not.

I am of the opinion, that this is the GREAT FALSEHOOD in the commercial and perverse world of fame and fortune ... in the end, you do not know who/what the artistry is all about, because the thought is that it can not be done without the great recording bullcrap around it ... and c'mon ... you know that's not true ... there are millions and millions of performances never ever recorded that were far better than what you find on a CD or a LP ... and thinking/saying that the music suffers because of it ... I don't know ... for me, I was tripping on the vocals ... a mono/stereo bs would not make any difference whatsoever!

The music, has ONE SOURCE ... and everything else between that source and you or I, is immaterial ... the art is in the source, and i will not downplay the artistry of the electronics and its effects and how they can be used, which is something else ... but all this fancy stuff, can NEVER EVER even consider not knowing what the source is ... the only issue is, that we no longer know the difference and completely forget what it is about the music that attracts us ... 

... maybe one day we will know ... too late for us to enjoy it! Clap
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 10:13
Nonsense.

Try to understand this. Read slowly and carefully, if that helps. 

The music was recorded on multi-track tape and mixed down to stereo. 
How do we know that? 
Simple. The CD is in stereo. All the way through. Zess does not switch from stereo to mono half way through. 

The vinyl is in stereo only on side ONE. Side TWO is in mono. Why is this wrong? See above. 

What on earth is so unclear about that? 

Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 12:18
Evidently, both Seventh Records and musiconvinyl have admitted the mastering mistake. 

Both, however, are evidently still selling the defective stock - even after knowing they're defective. 

Neither has responded to my e-mail about this. 

Anyway, I've written the manufacturer AGAIN to ask if they're going to do a corrected repress. I'll post here if I hear anything from them. 

Edited by Penguhwin - November 19 2019 at 13:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 22:32
According to Discogs entry, the mastering was done at Greasy Records in Paris. Seventh Records and MOV are just the distributors, they would have no clue on what happened. Marcus Linon mastered it and his father Francis mixed it........He is old so there might lie the problem.

And yes Pedro, Steven Wilson should be the choice to remix/remaster this recording and do it right. He is a brilliant engineer and is evident on pretty much all recordings he has worked on, very respected. Once Bob Ludwig, Bernie Grundman, Andy Van Dette, Steve Hoffman give it up we will need Steven Wilson.
Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2019 at 19:13
" Seventh Records and MOV are just the distributors, they would have no clue on what happened"

That doesn't mean they should keep selling defective product once they're aware of the problem. 

I completely agree about Steven Wilson, of course. Having a version of MDK where you can actually hear the drums (not to mention a 5.1 remix!) would be a dream come true. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2019 at 21:51

" Seventh Records and MOV are just the distributors, they would have no clue on what happened"

That doesn't mean they should keep selling defective product once they're aware of the problem. 

I completely agree about Steven Wilson, of course. Having a version of MDK where you can actually hear the drums (not to mention a 5.1 remix!) would be a dream come true. 

My point is cut to the chase if you want a real answer, contact Greasy. Salespeople are all liars.......As the distributor they would have to track down all the unsold copies all over the world and cease sales. Ain't gonna happen, they will all sell as people will want them as a collectible. 
To remaster the album they will need money to pay for the engineer and then press more records, so they will sell what they made first.
I bet in a few years you might see a new reissue. 
Penguhwin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguhwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 04:15
It doesn't matter. You screw something up - you make it right. 

MOV pressed the records and sells them. Surely SOMEONE there could have listened to one (it's called "quality control"), noticed that side two was mono (it took me about 5 seconds) and stopped the presses cold. Didn't happen. 

And surely SOMEONE at Seventh would say "Hey, side two of our latest album is in MONO?!" and pulled it off the webpage. Didn't happen. 

So they can re-issue it all they like - I'm not likely to give either of them any business in the future. 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 05:46
Wow I'm glad I didn't order this vinyl yet! Thanks for warning us. I guess that on the scale that Magma operates it is just too expensive to fix this.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 05:47
Recently I ordered a gold vinyl of Major Parkinson's latest which also sounded terribly flat, compared with the digital album.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply