Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Anderson Stereophile Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson Stereophile Interview
    Posted: August 30 2019 at 00:18
In the Steven Wilson a Hater thread I mentioned an interview of Jon Anderson by Stereophile magazine. He spent a day with one of the writers talking and listening to music, it is written as if Jon is speaking to you.

I especially like his statement about progressive rock: "Progressive rock was like a stone around your neck, though I don't like the term "progressive rock." I like adventurous music."

Very well done interview.

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 06:56
Thanks for the link!
I'll need to devote some time this weekend to listen to it.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 08:18
I seem to remember an article where Greg Lake said something similar. He didn't like being termed a progressive or prog band.
I have to believe for the most part that many bands don't set out to fit into a genre but are more focused on creating music that resonates with them personally. This would appear to be both an advantage and an impediment for bands like ELP who moved all over the map with their music.
The fault really lies with critics who have to create pigeon holes for bands to be put in so they can make comparisons and with programmers (back when that was a thing) who need to format a feed. In the end it's really only the music that matters and what it provides to those who are listening to it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 08:32
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

The fault really lies with critics who have to create pigeon holes for bands to be put in so they can make comparisons and with programmers (back when that was a thing) who need to format a feed. In the end it's really only the music that matters and what it provides to those who are listening to it.

Fault or not, it ends up making websites like PA at fault for the whole thing, and I'm not sure that's fair, or that they are the only ones ... it goes way back ... that interview on the net with Gary Green and the guy explaining to GG what "progressive music" was, and how GG ignored it. And he said ... "we didn't write anything then, we just played" ... and to this day, EVEN HERE, this is NOT ACCEPTED, and now, even worse, it's all become a fan poll and number, and the music, players, time, place ... is completely ignored ...

So in that sense, "progressive" is a stone around your neck and then some ... and my preferences is that we ease up the definitions, and clean things up, because we're killing it ... for folks/fans that don't even CARE about music whatsoever ... just their songs!

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2019 at 08:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 08:42
Great interview! Thanks for sharing, José Thumbs Up
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 06:37
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 15:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Great interview! Thanks for sharing, José Thumbs Up

I agee Sam......I think it an excellent piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply