Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Am I alone in thinking focus 3 is their best album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I alone in thinking focus 3 is their best album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I alone in thinking focus 3 is their best album
    Posted: September 01 2019 at 07:07
The title says most, but I never understood why this album isn’t held to the same caliber as moving waves and hamburger concerto. I think it’s a beautiful album with melodic and intense playing. I guess the main complaint is that it’s too long which is fair. But I think the first disc is def made up of their best material. Not to discredit the second disc

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 01 2019 at 07:07
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 08:22
Certainly is a great album, with great melodies and compositions. I guess is a matter of personal taste, but if you think it's their best, you certainly have good taste.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 08:45
You are never alone, as long as you are listening to Focus 3.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 13:48
I agree, a phenomenal album that doesn't get enough attention!!  I'll listen to it today, thanks!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 05:23
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I agree, a phenomenal album that doesn't get enough attention!!  I'll listen to it today, thanks!

It's a neat album, and quite enjoyable ... however, leaving behind things like "Hamburger Concerto" is sad ... it's such a great piece that an international band (with Rachel Flowers as well!) also did this piece in its entirety.

FOCUS fits best as a whole, not which album is best ... "Mother Focus" also has some nice stuff ... and all of this was wonderful on the FM radio dial in days gone by that many folks never heard or appreciated. A lot of this stuff fit really well in the middle of anything. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 00:09
A lot of it always sounded improvised to me. Focus were massive in the UK for a period of time (73/74)  thanks to Hocus Pocus , Sylvia and a great performance at the Reading festival ( this was the 'Glastonbury' of it's day). I always felt they were a bit like ELP. Many great tracks and great live band but no real killer album that put the rest in the shade.

BTW I know it's a bit off topic but the full version of Hocus Pocus features in the film Baby Driver . Great fun!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 08:38
It's one of their best...
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 13:23
It's my favourite of theirs
rotten hound of the burnie crew
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 14:06
An archetype of the category "Good but not essential".
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 14:27
It is certainly one of their best, but I think Moving Waves tops it. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 16:49
I love 3 but think Moving Waves may be more concise. Have to revisit them and get back to you.lol
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 20:46
Yes, it is their best. I like its improvised feeling. It feels live, as though I could imagine reaching in my pocket and pulling out a ticket as I listen. I like all Focus albums, but I agree 3 is the best. I like that it's long. Hamburger Concerto, as delightful as it is, always seems to short to me.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I love 3 but think Moving Waves may be more concise. Have to revisit them and get back to you.lol

Focus 3 is a lot more interesting to me most the time, moving waves has some great stuff with Hocus pocus, eruption and focus2, but the shorter songs in between never did it for me
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 11:42
You are definitely not alone.

I don't tend to think in terms of best, but Focus 3 has been my favourite Focus album at one time or another. It has rather depended on the day and mood, sometimes I would rather listen to the jazzy Focus three, sometimes the "Meaty masterpiece" that is Hamburger Concerto, sometimes Moving Waves. Ultimately, I don't think there is a best as I think different albums have different things to offer.

I haven't listen to Focus much over the past decade, but it was one of my absolute favourite bands.

Focus 3 does have the highest Focus studio album rating at rateyourmusic,see https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/focus , but at PA it has a lower rating than Hamburger Concerto (the highest rated) and Moving Waves.

Here are two reviews from rateyourmusic:

Originally posted by dempsey dempsey wrote:

hadn't listened to this music in years and now I'm wondering why I've passed over it so many times. The is simply the best album from Focus. They really came into form with 3or III (depends on if you're reading the front or back cover). From the gorgeous simplicity of "Love Remembered" to the extended jam of "Anonymous Two" Focus covers most of the bases of prog music. Some jazz, some classical, some rock... and all delivered with a pompous flair and the chops that make it all work.   If you only want one Focus album get 3.

Originally posted by jazzis jazzis wrote:

This is the 3rd album by the great Dutch group Focus, led by flautist / keyboardist / composer Thijs van Leer, which also included the brilliant guitarist / composer Jan Akkerman. Following the somewhat unfocused debut album, this masterpiece finds them at their absolute best, an album which is one of the best classic Prog albums of all times and an essential piece of music history. Originally a double LP it includes the suite "Anonymous Two" (over 26 minutes long) is a beautiful example of the scope and imagination of music made at the time. A timeless classic!
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 07:09
i love focus 3, and do think it is their best
The Wham Daddy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:06
Let's just say that this double studio album would've stronger being reduced to a single disc affair or a three-sided one (live Johnny Winter's Second Winter was), like many double album, such as Tommy, White Album, The Wall, the Lamb, Works Vol 1, etc...

Even the outstanding Electric Ladyland and Quadrophenia have a few bits that are weaker and some lengths.

Of course F3 have two sides that are notably shorter (side A & D), but I would've cut PVdL and Ruiter's solo in Anonymous 3 : the drum solo is absolutely boring and the first part of Ruiter's solo (when he really is solo) is also tedious so some 9 minutes could be saved up. .

Hamburger Concerto rules, though.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:02
I'm embarassed to say it's been so long since I played it I honestly can't recall any of it.....time for a re- listen.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 23:08
My second favourite, behind... 

Ship of Memories!
 Post Reply Post Reply