Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music for a Renaissance festival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band would you want to hear at a Renaissance Festival?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
6 [12.77%]
12 [25.53%]
12 [25.53%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music for a Renaissance festival
    Posted: September 07 2019 at 16:55
You have been assigned to be music director for a renaissance festival and have been given a budget that will allow you to book any band you want. It doesn't have to be a prog rock band but it could be. Which of these bands(mostly prog) would you chose? Also, this is hypothetical so the band doesn't have to still be around.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 07 2019 at 16:57
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:06
Haven't voted yet, but am an attendee of RenFests over the years (since 1973) and across the country....Blackmore's Night and The Medeival Babes actually play them from time to time (seen them both there, different fests) and I have heard Jethro Tull songs played there.  The missing one would be The Pentangle, for me, who of course were perfectly suited and have heard songs they helped to bring to the fore played there as well.  Fairport Convention and The Strawbs and/or Dead Can Dance would also be fun.....However, from your list, I will choose Jethro Tull, as they would be pretty fun to hear unplugged, as it were.  And now have voted...

Edited by Snicolette - September 07 2019 at 17:14
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:41
I don't really hear medieval or renaissance in Strawbs or DCD but I guess different ears hear different things. DCD actually does have some of the elements I suppose. I just wasn't thinking of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:57
Strawbs would definitely have to be more selectively culled, but certainly songs like "The Hangman and the Papist," "Witchwood," "A Glimpse of Heaven," "Queen of Dreams," "The Flower and the Young Man," "Hanging in the Gallery," "Hero & Heroine," all would fit nicely.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:47
Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 

My thanks to you, m'lord.  *curtseys*  Big smile

Of course, I am thinking of unplugged everything, although these days, there is (mostly hidden) sound available at large fairs, not so the old days.  And the Northern California faire has an after-hours show with people such as Tempest playing with full on sound systems, etc. , there may be others as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:57
Ha ha. Well, I did just listen to a  little but but I'm sorry to say I just don't hear it. When I think of renaissance music I think of the different instrumentation or stuff that sounds medieval or like Gentle Giant. Lol. I'll listen to more later but I don't think I will change my mind. I have heard some of their albums and I just don't heart it. Everyone's ears hears different things though and that's ok. 

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 20:38
I would lke to see GG anywhere. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I would lke to see GG anywhere. 

Ok, but do you think they would be appropriate for a RF?
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 21:53
The question is not what is best or what you like most, but rather what is most appropriate for a renaissance festival. The only valid answer here is Blackmore's Night.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

The question is not what is best or what you like most, but rather what is most appropriate for a renaissance festival. The only valid answer here is Blackmore's Night.

Well, I didn't actually say it that way but it is implied. Obviously you want someone who fits in and I can understand thinking BN would fit in the best.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 01:21
I'm going to go for a band I have seen recently at a festival - Solstice. I thought they were excellent at the New Day festival last year. Strong and powerful.
Other choices I might consider would be Curved Air or Steelye Span. Steelye Span are a perfect festival band and have released some excellent stuff recently. I have a soft spot for the delightful Maddy Prior as well!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 07:17
GG---they were amazing live band and that music was not easy to play.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 08:49
I agree with GG as well, and woke up this am thinking that I'd not mentioned Steeleye Span....I was thinking in lyrical terms as well as the music, certainly there were many folk songs of the day that were more of the story-telling variety, less of the complexity of the music...One could doubtless hear all kinds of music as there was so much crossing of cultures....however, keep going folks, I do enjoy this topic, obviously.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 08:57
Hi,

You must have not gone to one of these like the one in Eugene in the Oregon Country Fair ... the best music there is?

The party with the drum circles, with Micky and on occasion some GD'rs on hand ... and half the audience is dancing around in the buff ... the party is neat and far out and lasts all night!

Of all the bands listed, the only one that might play for 3 or 4 hours or more, would be THE THIRD EAR BAND, who would improvise a lot ... but it still would not beat the huge drum circle ... AND everyone goes to it, not just  a handful of us!

Let's face it ... it is what "getting stoned" used to mean, and it was to be "enjoyed". With all these other bands, the excitement would die after they were done with their hour! Besides the fact that in Oregon, probably none of those would be liked, although one or two bands might do well ... but in general, none of them will ever beat the drum circles ... and that includes Phish and several other bands!

Edited by moshkito - September 08 2019 at 08:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 09:35
I have not been to the newer Oregon RenFest, nor the Oregon Country Fair (not a Renaissance Festival), I've only lived here (2nd time) for a few years....although I do have friends who play(ed) the OCF, from Middle Eastern musicians to all kinds of other musical acts and know a lot of the New Vaudevillian people from my Santa Cruz days.  The faires across the country vary, depending on who owns/operates the faires and there are very different circuits east and west and all in between for the performers and merchants.  Some have stellar acts from all over the world (Maryland comes to mind) and some have less "period," entertainment than others...some are "hard," sites (with buildings that stay in place), some are "soft," sites, with tents that are pitched until the show is over and everyone moves on to the next one.  

Drum circles are at many of the shows, as are end of show "Pub Sings," kind of like a variety show of the various performers in one spot.  They all have their own character, some make up in spirit for what they lack in other ways...I have gone to faires as a "playtron," (one who dresses in garb, but is not employed by the faire), as a player (under the aegis of the creators of the whole schmugugie, Ron and Phyllis Patterson, who would inspect each person make sure you knew how to speak and were dressed appropriately) and also a merchant for a couple of years.  Just providing my personal faire experience in more detail here.  

I realize this may make me taken less seriously with Prog, however, it's a fun thing to do.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - September 08 2019 at 09:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

You must have not gone to one of these like the one in Eugene in the Oregon Country Fair ... the best music there is?

The party with the drum circles, with Micky and on occasion some GD'rs on hand ... and half the audience is dancing around in the buff ... the party is neat and far out and lasts all night!

Of all the bands listed, the only one that might play for 3 or 4 hours or more, would be THE THIRD EAR BAND, who would improvise a lot ... but it still would not beat the huge drum circle ... AND everyone goes to it, not just  a handful of us!

Let's face it ... it is what "getting stoned" used to mean, and it was to be "enjoyed". With all these other bands, the excitement would die after they were done with their hour! Besides the fact that in Oregon, probably none of those would be liked, although one or two bands might do well ... but in general, none of them will ever beat the drum circles ... and that includes Phish and several other bands!

Ok, now I know who (probably) voted for the third ear band. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I have not been to the newer Oregon RenFest, nor the Oregon Country Fair (not a Renaissance Festival), I've only lived here (2nd time) for a few years....although I do have friends who play(ed) the OCF, from Middle Eastern musicians to all kinds of other musical acts and know a lot of the New Vaudevillian people from my Santa Cruz days.  The faires across the country vary, depending on who owns/operates the faires and there are very different circuits east and west and all in between for the performers and merchants.  Some have stellar acts from all over the world (Maryland comes to mind) and some have less "period," entertainment than others...some are "hard," sites (with buildings that stay in place), some are "soft," sites, with tents that are pitched until the show is over and everyone moves on to the next one.  

Drum circles are at many of the shows, as are end of show "Pub Sings," kind of like a variety show of the various performers in one spot.  They all have their own character, some make up in spirit for what they lack in other ways...I have gone to faires as a "playtron," (one who dresses in garb, but is not employed by the faire), as a player (under the aegis of the creators of the whole schmugugie, Ron and Phyllis Patterson, who would inspect each person make sure you knew how to speak and were dressed appropriately) and also a merchant for a couple of years.  Just providing my personal faire experience in more detail here.  

I realize this may make me taken less seriously with Prog, however, it's a fun thing to do.  Smile

It's fine. I actually have only been to one or two RF's. Actually only one that I remember and that was in the late 80's with an old friend who I had a falling out with a long time ago. Lol. But even then(or at least at some point) I think I remember thinking that Gentle Giant's Octopus album would sound appropriate coming from a car speaker in the parking lot and that is the origin of me asking this  question. 

I didn't know they had drum circles at these events. I used to do a drum circle but haven't been to one in several years. There were fun. The ones I went to were at my old church.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 08 2019 at 11:24
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:45
Hard choices here. I guess if I'm the director, I could choose more than one, so I would go for all of them if I could afford it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 12:22
Great answer, Manuel!  Most faires do have several stages....  :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>