Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music for a Renaissance festival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band would you want to hear at a Renaissance Festival?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
6 [12.77%]
12 [25.53%]
12 [25.53%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 13:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Hard choices here. I guess if I'm the director, I could choose more than one, so I would go for all of them if I could afford it.

Sorry, but the budget only allows for one band. Wink
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 22:45
I am a regular Gentle Giant detractor, but authentic sounding Medieval music is something they do very well, so I would go with them on that basis. The band I personally would enjoy the most would be Tull, but Gentle Giant could do more straight up historical stuff that would be in the spirit of a Ren Festival. The last time I went to one was last summer 2018. They had a fantastic band called Wolgemut. They played Medieval German pieces with percussion and fife. Very good. I bought two of their albums there and got all the band members to sign one.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:45
Blackmore's Night for starters!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:16
I would add Angelo Branduardi to the lot, even if quite similar to Blackmore's Night (but he started before).
Jansch is passed away, but Pentangle would be another great choice.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I am a regular Gentle Giant detractor, but authentic sounding Medieval music is something they do very well, so I would go with them on that basis. The band I personally would enjoy the most would be Tull, but Gentle Giant could do more straight up historical stuff that would be in the spirit of a Ren Festival. The last time I went to one was last summer 2018. They had a fantastic band called Wolgemut. They played Medieval German pieces with percussion and fife. Very good. I bought two of their albums there and got all the band members to sign one.

Saw Wolgemut at the Maryland Festival the year I attended there, they were a LOT of fun.  Also, if you've not heard Faun, they are highly recommended, would make an excellent choice for any Faire.  But neither are prog.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 10:00
Gryphon would also make a fine band to consider for this....Should also have brought them to the fore when thinking of others that would be fun to see at a Faire.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 

hmm their stuff is readily available so there is that  Tongue

Dragonfly and From the Witchwood would be faire-appropriate

But I think my choice would be Amazing Blondel, and I voted accordingly, though I suppose they were going more for the Elizabethan sound.  It sounds from another time anyway, at least their first 4 albums, with the 5th album (Blondel) still holding some of that character
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:32
Other......
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Trees
Circulus
etc..

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 14:13
There are many here that I don't know, but from what I do know, Blackmore's Night seems to be the ones that fit the best, and I do would love to see them live. Though, for that matter, I guess I would like to see Corvus Corax even more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are many here that I don't know, but from what I do know, Blackmore's Night seems to be the ones that fit the best, and I do would love to see them live. Though, for that matter, I guess I would like to see Corvus Corax even more.
  Corvus Corax also plays the Faires from time to time.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Other......
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Trees
Circulus
etc..

Was going to say Fairport and Steeleye, certainly. They actually played ballads that would date to the 15th century at least. Add the Silly Sisters (Maddy Prior of Steeleye and June Tabor), who are actually singing 15th century songs in a pre-Tudor mode, like...

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 09 2019 at 16:47
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:56
As a long-time though occasional RenFair goer, I have seen a lot of musical groups at the Michigan (Holly, Interlochen, and Castle Farms), Bristol, and Shakopee fairs as well as on YouTube videos. My favorites have been the troubadours, minstrels, religious choral groups, and, of course, the "courtly love" a cappella singers--music as it was intended, sans electricity. 

Though I think German Pagan Folk band, Faun, Katharine Blake's Mediæval Bæbes, Jan Akkerman on lute, Rasmus Fleischer's Vox Vulgaris, or anything former-Faun lead singer Elisabeth Pawelke touches (e.g. Almara) would be my top choices to have from ProgWorld at a RenFest, I would much prefer the crumhorn duo I saw yesterday in Minnesota or the diminutive Elizabethan Church of England singers I used to sit with at the Michigan faire or the Ann Arbor vocal quartet, Anonymous4: their affect and accessibility is more humble and less pretentious. Plus, as mentioned above, they use 0.00% electricity. 

New Jersey band Advent would be awesome, too!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 22:12
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I have not been to the newer Oregon RenFest, nor the Oregon Country Fair (not a Renaissance Festival), I've only lived here (2nd time) for a few years....although I do have friends who play(ed) the OCF, from Middle Eastern musicians to all kinds of other musical acts and know a lot of the New Vaudevillian people from my Santa Cruz days. 

The one in California, south of Oxnard, (can never remember exactly where it was!), I went to twice and the 2nd time as part of our theater group class dressed in complete Elizabethan garb and doing vignettes and pieces of theater ... with a lot of twisted Shakespeare in it ... more like George and Martha get drunk sometimes!

In those two instances, I can not even remember the artists or bands that played there, which ought to tell you my attention span, and I was ALREADY into the European music scene by that time, and a lot of the "local music" stuff was not specifically exciting, though catching Robin Williamson was fun and neat ... and he fits into the the idea really well ... but I think that he would say that he would go to those for a lark and fun, and maybe play a little, but I doubt that he would stick to "hits" and likely only play traditionals, most of which would be labeled "what" when it came to southern California ... which is bad for a band or audience! But he did really well in the folk and bluegrass circles in California ... but not Oregon ... go figure!

By the time I came up here the story about the OCF was already huge and the main attraction for many years, would be the unannounced show by the Grateful Dead ... one member would show up, and then another join in sometime, and there was no rhyme or reason, except to party! I'm not sure that these days, folks can even relate to this at all.

The GD's experimental side and free form essence, was huge, and something that a lot of "progressive" music idolized from the late 60's when many European bands were doing similar things and thanking the West Coast folks for their direction. However, the free form noodling that the GD did, was fun for a lot of these fairs not only because they knew that a song would show up somewhere in the middle of it, but that in between you could go on groovin' and holerin' ... which was one of the attractions of the Fair in the first place!

In this particular manner, I would not pay 10 Cents for any of the bands listed at all ... though I might make an exception to The Third Ear Band, but what is it that they will do ... turn water into wine and wine into water...? If you can get the crowd to sing along it might work, but otherwise, I think most of it would fall flat ... and the listing of well known bands in those fairs, is not specially attractive, although Phish has been listed a couple of times in their day ... but I'm not sure they would be the "perfect" band for the festivals at all, anywhere in America. 

I think I would rather see a FOLK/BLUEGRASS revival in these fairs for the stoned and party fun ... a lot more than any of the folks listed.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 19:09
I would start with Gryphon and Motis.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 02:00
Well, IMHO, Third Ear Band, Gryphon and Gentle Giant's main influences are medieval, and not renaissance stuff (baroque music), so they should be eliminated...
And Renaissance's musical foundations (despite their name) is well past the renaissance era, but purely XIXth & XXth symphonic

In terms of veracity, it's clearly Amazing Blondel (I see my buddy and PF colleague also voted them in ClapHug) that shoould/would win it hands down, but they're so boring Sleepy, that everyone would leave and move to the medieval festival next doorLOL

Edited by Sean Trane - September 14 2019 at 02:05
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 07:40
"King Henry's Madrigal", an adaptation of Henry VIII's "Pastime With Good Company" (written by the king circa 1509, before his later hobbies of collecting and beheading wives kicked in)....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 07:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, IMHO, Third Ear Band, Gryphon and Gentle Giant's main influences are medieval, and not renaissance stuff (baroque music), so they should be eliminated...
And Renaissance's musical foundations (despite their name) is well past the renaissance era, but purely XIXth & XXth symphonic

In terms of veracity, it's clearly Amazing Blondel (I see my buddy and PF colleague also voted them in ClapHug) that shoould/would win it hands down, but they're so boring Sleepy, that everyone would leave and move to the medieval festival next doorLOL

I don't find Amazing Blondel's music boring at all! Plus, the RenFairs I've happened to attend seem to blur the lines with regards to what is fitting to the exact era they're claiming to represent (e.g. Whose Renaissance? 13th Century Italy's? France's with François I/Leonardo in the 1500s? Great Britain's with Edward IV through Elizabeth I?) Plus, I find that the average person has a very difficult time pinpoint particular musical styles to particular eras of history much less countries and composers, so "medieval" versus "Baroque" versus "Elizabethan" could mean Merovingian (do we have any music that we know survives from the early medieval? John of Damascus? Peter Abelard?), Gregorian (von Bingen), Carolingian, Occitan troubadours, the Eleanor of Aquitaine era of courtly music, Dufay and des Prez, Palestrina and Vivaldi, Teleman and Haydn, but who would know? I think we, the listeners, care about the use of period(-sounding) instruments (wood and brass) and pre-Industrial Rev-sounding music. Most Renaissance Fair personel seem to prefer the term "anachronistic" anyway. Thus, any time will do! Today's musician/performers are quite eclectic anyway and rarely show any allegiance to any single composer or single pocket of music, thus they fit into the world of "anachronistic" performers perfectly! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 08:58
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I don't find Amazing Blondel's music boring at all! Plus, the RenFairs I've happened to attend seem to blur the lines with regards to what is fitting to the exact era they're claiming to represent (e.g. Whose Renaissance? 13th Century Italy's? France's with François I/Leonardo in the 1500s? Great Britain's with Edward IV through Elizabeth I?) Plus, I find that the average person has a very difficult time pinpoint particular musical styles to particular eras of history much less countries and composers, so "medieval" versus "Baroque" versus "Elizabethan" could mean Merovingian (do we have any music that we know survives from the early medieval? John of Damascus? Peter Abelard?), Gregorian (von Bingen), Carolingian, Occitan troubadours, the Eleanor of Aquitaine era of courtly music, Dufay and des Prez, Palestrina and Vivaldi, Teleman and Haydn, but who would know? I think we, the listeners, care about the use of period(-sounding) instruments (wood and brass) and pre-Industrial Rev-sounding music. Most Renaissance Fair personel seem to prefer the term "anachronistic" anyway. Thus, any time will do! Today's musician/performers are quite eclectic anyway and rarely show any allegiance to any single composer or single pocket of music, thus they fit into the world of "anachronistic" performers perfectly! 
You are absolutely right.....only the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) tries to truly stick to "period correct," in as much as possible with what they do.  And the stretch of time does differ from Faire to Faire and some are more period correct than others, with budgetary and availability of talent playing in mightily.  The original RPF (Renaissance Pleasure Faire) did strive to be period correct, but there have always been asides to modern culture, thanks to the participation of groups like the Firesign Theatre founders.  There are also Medieval and Fantasy Fairs about the country that try for a different approach than the Renaissance Faires.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 09:03
Other: Comus.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 09:04
never been to a Renaissance Fair..  perhaps it was seeing Westworld one too many times as a kid and having a few too many fantasies about large buxomed serving wenches...who aim to please... and oh yeah...evil knights..  the old west? Pfff...No problems..  guns brandished by black hats are relatively clean in comparison to broad swords wielded by black plate mailed thugs. Messy sh*t man hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>