Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music for a Renaissance festival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band would you want to hear at a Renaissance Festival?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
6 [12.77%]
12 [25.53%]
12 [25.53%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

The question is not what is best or what you like most, but rather what is most appropriate for a renaissance festival. The only valid answer here is Blackmore's Night.

Well, I didn't actually say it that way but it is implied. Obviously you want someone who fits in and I can understand thinking BN would fit in the best.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 21:53
The question is not what is best or what you like most, but rather what is most appropriate for a renaissance festival. The only valid answer here is Blackmore's Night.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I would lke to see GG anywhere. 

Ok, but do you think they would be appropriate for a RF?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 20:38
I would lke to see GG anywhere. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:57
Ha ha. Well, I did just listen to a  little but but I'm sorry to say I just don't hear it. When I think of renaissance music I think of the different instrumentation or stuff that sounds medieval or like Gentle Giant. Lol. I'll listen to more later but I don't think I will change my mind. I have heard some of their albums and I just don't heart it. Everyone's ears hears different things though and that's ok. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 

My thanks to you, m'lord.  *curtseys*  Big smile

Of course, I am thinking of unplugged everything, although these days, there is (mostly hidden) sound available at large fairs, not so the old days.  And the Northern California faire has an after-hours show with people such as Tempest playing with full on sound systems, etc. , there may be others as well.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 18:47
Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:57
Strawbs would definitely have to be more selectively culled, but certainly songs like "The Hangman and the Papist," "Witchwood," "A Glimpse of Heaven," "Queen of Dreams," "The Flower and the Young Man," "Hanging in the Gallery," "Hero & Heroine," all would fit nicely.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:41
I don't really hear medieval or renaissance in Strawbs or DCD but I guess different ears hear different things. DCD actually does have some of the elements I suppose. I just wasn't thinking of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 17:06
Haven't voted yet, but am an attendee of RenFests over the years (since 1973) and across the country....Blackmore's Night and The Medeival Babes actually play them from time to time (seen them both there, different fests) and I have heard Jethro Tull songs played there.  The missing one would be The Pentangle, for me, who of course were perfectly suited and have heard songs they helped to bring to the fore played there as well.  Fairport Convention and The Strawbs and/or Dead Can Dance would also be fun.....However, from your list, I will choose Jethro Tull, as they would be pretty fun to hear unplugged, as it were.  And now have voted...

Edited by Snicolette - September 07 2019 at 17:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 16:55
You have been assigned to be music director for a renaissance festival and have been given a budget that will allow you to book any band you want. It doesn't have to be a prog rock band but it could be. Which of these bands(mostly prog) would you chose? Also, this is hypothetical so the band doesn't have to still be around.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 07 2019 at 16:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123