Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trick of the tail at the time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trick of the tail at the time
    Posted: September 16 2019 at 22:34
I’m curious if any of you genesis fans were around at the time when Peter quit the band and Phil took over on lead vocals. What was your first reaction to hearing trick of the tail? What was it like?
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 23:48
There was a lot of question whether Genesis would survive at that time, and thankfully they did. I had a love-hate relationship with Trick of Tail when it came out. Dance on a Volcano and Squonk were great; Squonk also got a lot of airplay. Robbery, Assault, and Battery got on my nerves, and it took me a while to appreciate Mad Man Moon. I had difficulty adjusting to their new sound, which seemed antiseptic compared to the more edgy Gabriel era. But I was in love with the material by the time Wind and Wuthering came out, and I loved that album, too. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 23:55
Not me. Too young. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 00:11
Too young as well for me. in fact I just didn't like Genesis at all when I was a teenager and it wasn't until much later than I started to appreciate them.
I did hear a story that when Gabriel quit Genesis he expected the band to fold. After they carried on he was in the front row of their first concert without him arms folded and 'wtf' look on his face. Must have been very intimidating for Collins if true!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 03:55
I didn't follow the crisis inside Genesis (didn't know there was one at the time, FTM)
Back then, I only owned SEBTP - bought in 75 - and only moderately appreciated it (too weird a production to my still-relatively-untrained ears), but when TotT came out I tried it and fell instantly for it...
Within hours, I'd had relistened top SEBTP and loved it and within weeks, I owned everything by them (including FGTR)

Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 03:59
Oh yeah, I was there at the time: a junior in high school too, and Genesis was my first love (musically, I mean!) so Trick still resonates with me. Coming so soon after Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte, it left an indelible impression, especially the stronger tracks: Dance on a Volcano; Squonk; Los Endos...although Entangled wove a romantic spell around my sensitive teenage psyche.

The tour in support of the album, with Bill Bruford on drums, was my first rock concert too: at the Berkeley Community Theatre, across the Bay from my San Mateo home...my Proghead buddy and me had to ask our parents for permission to go!

43 years later and 2,700 miles down the road I got a chance to relive that experience (sort of) when I saw Steve Hackett in concert at the historic Riviera Theatre in North Tonawanda, New York, last week...a packet house, and I bet there wasn't anybody there under the age of 50..!
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 05:43
I remember thinking how similar Collin's voice was to Gabriel's at the time, but that may have been because of his vocals on previous Genesis songs.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 06:35
I knew of Genesis, but that was about it.I visited my cousin and he took me along to visit some friends.They were all 4 or 5 years older than me.They played Trick  several times, passing the cover and the chillum around.I remember them laughing about the lyrics and how the 'stuttering' was printed too.Do do do you want to dance, do do do you want to dance with me. They certainly liked it.I liked it too after the repeats.

That was the night I was also introduced to Montrose's first album.Now that one was an instant like. :-) 
Shake & bake.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 07:29
First reaction was a resounding: "Peter Who?"

What a record. And Wind & Wuthering was almost its equal.

Too bad the four man Genesis didn't last. It could have eclipsed the Gabriel era - if Steve hadn't left...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 07:30
At a friend's place they had Nursery, Foxtrot, SEBTP and The Lamb, all of which we loved. I didn't know Trespass nor FGTR yet. At my place there was no Genesis until I started buying all their albums shortly afterwards, my brothers were more into ELP, Yes, the Beatles, the Who, Oldfield and others, but for some reason not Genesis.

When Trick came out I remember thinking that it sounded very much like "the old" Genesis, and that Phil's vocals were quite similar to Gabriel's (now I find them so different!). I immediately loved Squonk, Entangled, Ripples and Los Endos. Robbery, Mad Mad Moon and ATOTT took the longest to sink in.

At that time I was still unaware of the issues which had led to Gabriel's departure.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 08:10
when I first heard it thought it sounded like Genesis---not realizing that Phil's voice was on earlier Genesis albums a lot  in overdubs and background vocals and some lead vocals---Agree with Hackett that while Peter and Phils voices are different--they both have a soulful earthiness that is very appealing. Two of my top 5 fav male singers coming out of one band is quite an accomplishment .
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 08:27
They were not my favorite band, but I do remember all of this. Phil Collins' star was rising at the time due to his drumming with Brand X and Eno. The merger of fusion and prog rock was a big deal then and Phil was starting to be considered part of the big leagues with Cobham and Bruford. The music and production on the new Genesis album definitely gave him a stronger drum presence.
As for the vocals, at first he sounded a lot like Peter and I guess many of us assumed that was on purpose. Musically the band was a bit more pop, but also better organized and more contemporary sounding.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 08:42
I was just a kid.  I had a bunch of Yes, ELP, and Pink Floyd albums.  Nothing by Genesis.  Late one night I saw the video "Robbery, Assault, and Battery" on some rock show.  I thought, "Wow, a story song! How groovy different.   Finally, that band Genesis wrote a song I like."   I didn't have a clue, the actors were the band. 

Though impressed, I wouldn't purchase my first Genesis album "Nursery Crimes" till the early 80's.  It took another decade before Fox Trot galloped into my growing collection.  Quickly, a stampede of 70's Genesis albums followed.    

Edited by omphaloskepsis - September 17 2019 at 08:52
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 09:32
I remember it well.  What struck me was how much less ornate it was than Gabriel Genesis.  Much more accessible and instantly likable (with a few exceptions that I find on pretty much every Genesis album, even SEBTP).  Like with Sean Trane, it made me go back an listen to older Genesis with fresh ears.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 10:10
Oh, what does a grand slam feel like?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 03:09
In 1976, I was -12 years old, so I can't tell you Wink.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 05:42
Absolutely.
What was it like? It was like this !

(First concert of the Trick of the Tail Tour)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 06:09
Relieved because of it's total accessibility. Something that was missing on the previous albums regardless of how good they were.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 11:10
I was born at the wrong time and on the wrong side of the planet
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

First reaction was a resounding: "Peter Who?"

What a record. And Wind & Wuthering was almost its equal.

Too bad the four man Genesis didn't last. It could have eclipsed the Gabriel era - if Steve hadn't left...

I agree and although SEBTP was at one point my favorite and admittedly is their definitive album(their CTTE or DSOTM if you will)I have since decided my two favorite Genesis albums are TOTT and W&W with SEBTP being number three. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 18 2019 at 11:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>