Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retro VU meter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retro VU meter
    Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:24
Here's an idea. ;-)

In the garage, I've got a pair of new old stock 6E5 magic eye valves. These used to be used as tuning indicators on vintage radios. The eye (top of the tube) used to open and close to allow you to tune into a radio station. There are lots of different types of magic eye valves out there, all of course replaced with new technology. I had one on a reel to reel tape recorder when I was a kid - signal indicator. 

Mine are 6 pin and needed UX6 bases, which are basically made of Unobtainium. Finally managed to find the bases. 

So the idea is to make a magic eye stereo VU meter out of these. ;-) Yes, you can buy kits but they're very expensive and no one seems to do a 6E5 one. 

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:27
Aha, just found you can buy the driver boards. Which I've found on eBay. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpbTz1rraI

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:53
So. Now to find a 250v DC transformer which will kick out 4ma for the cathodes. Basically, these are somewhat like a cathode ray tube. They don't need a lot of power. As the title suggests, you need 6v DC for the heaters ("6E5") and the eye is basically opened and closed by an 0 - 8v input. Which makes it ideal for a modular synth. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - September 28 2019 at 04:53

Post Reply Post Reply