Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas vs Pink Floyd song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [50.00%]
12 [24.00%]
9 [18.00%]
1 [2.00%]
3 [6.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas vs Pink Floyd song
    Posted: October 12 2019 at 10:37
Another one I thought of.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 13:45
PF
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 15:38
I give the edge to Kansas.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 18:00
CLose, but I'll vote for Kansas.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 01:51
Neither.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 02:49
Great Kansas song. I am assuming it was written by Kerry Livgren and very much 'heart on the sleeve' stuff.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 06:58
Groups are close, but for these two songs, Kansas easily.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 10:30
I was tempted to put both and while I still like the PF song the truth is it has been played way too much on the radio for me to want to do that. I think I have heard this Kansas song maybe once on the radio. Lol. So anyway, the Kansas song for me.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 13 2019 at 10:30
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 12:13
The Wall is certainly a more interesting song... Although ABiTW pt 2 is a well-written pop song with a great guitar solo. But since I like prog more than pop, my vote goes to Kansas.

Has anyone noticed similarities between the end The Wall and Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 12:22
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

The Wall is certainly a more interesting song... Although ABiTW pt 2 is a well-written pop song with a great guitar solo. But since I like prog more than pop, my vote goes to Kansas.

Has anyone noticed similarities between the end The Wall and Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium?

Which Wall are you referring to in regards to sounding like those DT albums?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 13:25
The Wall by Kansas gets my vote. 
I must say this was an interesting poll.  I never really thought about analyzing these two tracks because these are two bands I never really thought about comparing, but the Kansas song has always been a favorite of mine where the PF song is so worn out that I don't even notice it when I listen to The Wall album.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 13:30
Kansas!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 14:00
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The Wall by Kansas gets my vote. 
I must say this was an interesting poll.  I never really thought about analyzing these two tracks because these are two bands I never really thought about comparing, but the Kansas song has always been a favorite of mine where the PF song is so worn out that I don't even notice it when I listen to The Wall album.

I guess it's easy to see that I chose them because of the wall name. I do think they are both in the aor prog category though(more or less) but other than that no not very similar at all.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 14:12
In general Pink Floyd sh*ts all over Kansas, but Kansas got me into prog and The Wall was one of those songs... but at the same time, another brick in the wall is great, so I'm gonna go with both equally
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 15:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Which Wall are you referring to in regards to sounding like those DT albums?

I was referring to the Kansas song (should also specifiy, I mean the DT songs) - in particular the outro sounds a lot like the orchestral parts on those DT songs. Specifically, one of the first themes in the overture to 6 Degrees is reminiscent of the theme right after the vocals drop out in the Kansas song, and both The Wall and Octavarium end with a very similar scale.

Edited by ForestFriend - October 13 2019 at 15:07
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 18:07
Floyd
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 01:31
I never thought I'd vote Kansas over Floyd, but here goes.

ABITW Pt2 is a fine song, and was the song that got me into Floyd as a kind, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Kansas tune is simply a more interesting piece of music.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 19:32
I voted The Wall by Kansas , there are better songs on pink floyds 'Another Brick in the Wall part 2l' for tougher competition ... heard pink floyds the wall part 2 too many times now on radio etc it was a great song the first 50 times I heard it. I like Kansas more and its because of the great work they did during times when Kerry Livgren was writing great songs ... The Wall is one of many of those great songs.      

Edited by Enchant X - October 14 2019 at 19:36
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 20:15
The Pink Floyd "Wall" for me. I can appreciate Kansas "The Wall", but it doesn't resonate with me.

I am not saying that you should have included it, but Golden Earring's (band listed in Prog Related) "The Wall of Dolls" is good methinks.

Edited by Logan - October 14 2019 at 20:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 04:29
Kansas - The Wall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>