Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 96>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 08:08
JON ANDERSON - Olias of Sunhillow (1976)

Part One

Part Two

Album Review #36:- 5 stars JON ANDERSON needs no introduction, but the longstanding frontman of YES deserves an introduction anyway, so here goes..... He was born in Accrington, Lancashire in 1944. Anderson was a member of his brother's band, The Warriors, during the mid-1960's and he joined YES bassist Chris Squire's band, Mabel Greer's Toyshop in 1968. They changed the name of the band to YES later that same year. He was the lead vocalist on all but one of the YES albums from the first self-titled album in 1969, through to the "Magnification" album in 2001. The only exception was the 1980 "Drama" album which featured Trevor Horn on vocal duties. Jon Anderson was also the frontman on the "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe" album, a YES album in all but name. He had a long-lasting musical partnership with Vangelis, recording four sophisticated albums of Electronica together as Jon & Vangelis:- "Short Stories" (1980); "The Friends of Mr Cairo" (1981); "Private Collection" (1983); & "Page of Life" (1991). He joined with fellow YES member Rick Wakeman in 2010 to record "The Living Tree" album. Jon Anderson's most recent collaboration was the "Better Late Than Never" (2015) album with Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings. This album, "Olias of Sunhillow" (1976), is the first of Jon's fifteen solo albums, with his latest album "1000 Hands: Chapter One", released as recently as 2019. His second album "Song of Seven" (1980) is also in the progressive mould, before he branched out into other avenues of music, such as regular Pop/Rock and New Age albums. "Olias of Sunhillow" is a concept album, recorded at a time when the concept album was King in the weird and wonderful world of Progressive Rock. The album tells the story of an alien race looking for a new world to colonise, following the destruction of their home planet in a volcanic catastrophe. Jon Anderson wrote all of the music and lyrics, and played all of the musical instruments featured on the album, so this really IS a solo album, in the true sense of the word. Let's don the flares, Afghan coat and platform shoes now as we travel back in time to those halcyon Prog-Rock days of the mid 1970's.

The album opens in dramatic style with the the sound of rumbling waves in the instrumental "Ocean Song". We then hear the exotic sound of a synth, which somehow conjures up images of the mystical East with its oriental vibe. This acts as a prelude to "Meeting (Garden Of Geda)", a buoyant and uplifting song that sounds like a more melodic and harmonic version of YES. The lyrics tell a story of a spacecraft embarking on a journey to escape a doomed planet:- "There stands Olias to outward to build a ship, Holding within all hope we retain, The frame will be so built to challenge the universe." ..... This is "YES lite" without the constant changes of tempo, sudden key changes and crashing chords that we've become so accustomed to over the years from classic YESSONGS. The "Olias of Sunhillow" album is still very much in Progressive Rock territory, but it's gentle and melodic Prog-Rock with a New Age oriental feel to it. Our journey across the universe continues now with "Dance Of Raynart, a beautiful instrumental number, featuring the gentle sound of a harp combined with mesmerizing keyboards. This leads us into "Olias (To Build the Moonglade), a passionately uplifting song full of optimism, as the alien colonists begin building their spaceship. Onwards now to the mysteriously titled 7-minute-long, three-piece suite,"Qoquaq Ën Transic"/"Naon"/"Transic Tö". It's a gorgeous-sounding oriental instumental, opening to the sound of gently melodic swirling synths. This transposes into "Naon", a bright and breezy happy-clappy New Age chant, before returning to the redolent sound of the oriental synth in "Transic To". Our space colonists now embark on their journey across the universe with "Flight of the Moorglade", to close out Side One. This is an ebullient and uplifting song which is positively aglow with optimistic exuberance. Just take a look at these inspiring lyrics:- "The first to venture, First to gain, Exploring daylight, Clearer than the Talloplanic view." ..... No idea what the "Talloplanic view" is, but it sounds good and the joyfully intoxicating music is guaranteed to put you in jubilant mood and high spirits, without the aid of any alcoholic beverages.

We enter "Solid Space" now with the opening of Side Two. We're in full Symphonic Prog mode here with this rousing and restorative piece of music. It's a surging, tympanic and superlative song, bursting with glorious optimism. Okay, that's enough adjectives for now, so onwards we travel through space to "Moon Ra"/"Chords"/"Song of Search". Yes, it's another three-piece suite (no, not two armchairs & a sofa). "Moon Ra" is another New Age chant. If we weren't travelling through space, then this is the kind of jolly and vibrant song you might hear New Age revellers chanting as they dance around a tree (possibly naked) by the light of a silvery moon. This leads us onto "Chords", which, not surprisingly, is a song full of bright and uplifting, reverberating major chords to elevate the spirits up into the stratosphere and beyond. The three-piece suite concludes with "Song of Search", a hauntingly atmospheric piece of instrumental music to transport you to a higher plane of musical existence. This is soothing and sophisticated melodic prog that reaches the places that other prog-rock albums can only aspire to. We drift gently back to Earth now with the closing song on the album, "To the Runner", a joyous and jubilant hymnal melody. The music is all aglow with some positively inspirational and spiritual vibes. If only they played music in church as good as this, it might be enough to turn an atheist into a religious devotee!

You don't HAVE to be a YES fan to enjoy this album, because "Olias of Sunhillow" is a gently melodic and harmonic departure from the sound of YES, but if you ARE a fan of YES, then the familiar sound of Jon Anderson's voice may be enough to inspire you to go out and buy the album. It's still Progressive Rock, but it's Prog-Rock given a New Age oriental twist, in true Jon Anderson style. If I could choose just one word to describe the beautiful music contained within this marvellous album, it's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 07 2019 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 08:07
GREENSLADE - Greenslade (1973)

Album Review #37:- 4 stars The English band GREENSLADE are named after their founder and keyboard player, Dave Greenslade (born 1943). Greenslade sounds like an ideal name for a Prog-Rock band, conjuring up images of magical castles, occupied by fairies, elves & goblins. It's handy to have a proggy-sounding surname if you're going to name the band after yourself.  It's a good thing Dave Greenslade wasn't named Smith, Brown or Jones. Dave Greenslade and the bass player Tony Reeves had previously been members of the Jazz-Rock band Colosseum. This album is the first of four albums released in the 1970's. The self-titled "Greenslade (1973) album was quickly followed by " Bedside Manners Are Extra" (1973), "Spyglass Guest" (1974)& "Time & Tide (1975). A comeback album "Large Afternoon" was released in the year 2000. Dave Greenslade also released five solo albums between the years of 1976 and 2011. The fantasy artwork for the "Greenslade" album was designed by renowned album cover artist Roger Dean. All but one of Greenslade's albums featured the familiar figure of the Greenslade wizard on the album cover.

The album takes flight with "Feathered Friends". Is it a bird, is it a plane? No, it's a bluesy Jazz-Rock number. If you listen carefully, you can hear the mellifluous sound of a Mellotron in the background, which comes as no surprise, when Greenslade are often referred to as a Mellotron band, alongside other melodic Prog-Rock luminaries such as The Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest and Genesis. Next up is "An English Western". What's it all about you may well ask. Well, it's impossible to say, because it's a bright and breezy, proggy instrumental with not a cowboy or indian in sight. And now we come across a "Drowning Man", a sad lament, which is only to be expected with a song title like "Drowning Man". Although we may have arrived too late to save him, the music is saved by some uplifting and rousing keyboard virtuosity from Dave Greenslade. "Temple Song" closes Side One. We're getting all flowery with this pleasing little Jazz-Rock ditty, as these lyrics reveal:- "See the flowers in the garden, All the petals there are falling, falling, falling." ..... This charming song sounds as English as, well..... an English country garden!

Side Two opens with "Melange", which IS a bit of a melange, which can't be a bad thing as variety is the spice of life, or so we're told. It's seven and a half minutes of Jazzy prog, underlaid with the gorgeous sound of the Mellotron, so relax and enjoy "Melange", while you eat a blancmange. Onto the penultimate and sixth song on the album now with "What Are You Doin' to Me", a rollicking, rock & rolling, Jazz-Rock barnstormer of a song. The album is brought to a radiant close now with "Sundance", the stunning highlight of the album. At nearly nine minutes long, it's the longest song on the album, which gives Dave Greenslade time to really get into his element and let loose with some very impressive keyboard dexterity. Take it away Dave!

If you're in the mood for some melodic and Jazzy prog, imbued with the mellifluous and hauntingly beautiful sound of the Mellotron, then "Greenslade" might be just the album you're looking for. It's a worthy addition to the progosphere and after listening to this first album, you may be inspired to check out Greenslade's later albums too!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 15 2019 at 08:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 06:53
TONY BANKS - A Curious Feeling (1979)

Album Review #38:-5 stars Keyboard player extraordinaire TONY BANKS (born 1950) is of course the longstanding Master of the Keys in the band Genesis. He's appeared on all fifteen Genesis studio albums, starting with "From Genesis to Revelation" in 1969, right through to the final Genesis album, "Calling All Stations" in 1997. After all, Tony Banks IS the sound of Genesis. He's been voted one of the greatest keyboard players of all time, and deservedly so. He got together with the other three founder members, Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford & Anthony Phillips, to form Genesis at Charterhouse School in 1967 when they were discovered by record producer Jonathan King, and the rest is Genesis history, which there's no need to elaborate on here. This album "A Curious Feeling" (1979) is the first of six Tony Banks solo albums. The album features male vocalist Kim Beacon and American drummer Chester Thompson.  Later albums were "The Fugitive" (1983), "Still" (1991), "Seven: A Suite for Orchestra" (2004), "Six Pieces for Orchestra" (2012), and his most recent album, "Five" (2018). He also recorded an album under the punningly titled bandname, "Bankstatement" in 1989, as well as composing the music for "The Wicked Lady" (1983) movie, followed by the release of a collection of soundtrack pieces in 1986, titled "Soundtracks", appropriately enough. Tony Banks' albums feature a compelling mixture of Classical music and Progressive Rock. Introduction over, it's time now to give this particular album a spin, and I have "A Curious Feeling" you're going to like it.

The album opens in grand symphonic style with "From the Undertow". It's a breathtakingly beautiful opening piece of instrumental music which promises we're in for a rather special treat with this album. This serves as a prelude to "Lucky Me", an exhilarating song with a joyful vibe, as these uplifting lyrics reveal:- "And I would rather be nobody else, I'm happy as I am, all I need is in my way, And you see no one expects too much from me." ..... It's a gleeful song full of boundless optimism. Song No. 3 "The Lie" is a buoyant and flamboyant toe-tapping number that romps along nicely in rousing fashion, which leads us into "After the Lie", where Tony Banks really shines like a beacon with his stunning keyboard virtuosity. This is lush, melodic and marvellous music! Onto Song No. 5 now and the title track "A Curious Feeling", a commercial-sounding song that has "hit record" written all over it. The song has a joyous and jubilant feel to it in the same way as "Follow You, Follow Me" by Genesis. To close Side One in superlative and uninhibited style comes the 6-minute long keyboard opus, "Forever Morning". Prepare to be lifted to a higher plane of musical existence with this touching, transporting and transcendental piece of magnificent music. This is spectacular!

Returning to Earth now with "You" to open Side Two. The singer Kim Beacon is in romantic balladeer mode here with this tender-hearted melancholic number. Wait a minute though! What's this!?? Tony Banks breaks out into a wild and uninhibited Rick Wakeman-inspired keyboard jamboree to close out the song. Wow! This song is amazing! You really have to hear this to believe it!! This is a glorious symphonic masterpiece, elevating this album instantly to five-star status. What more can I say!? I'm flabbergasted by the technical brilliance on display here!! In fact, my flabber has never been so gasted!!! Okay, that's enough exclamation marks for now. Onwards to Song No. 8 and "Somebody Else's Dream", the longest song on the album at nearly 8 minutes long. It's a sonorous and resonant, keyboard-heavy anthemic song with the awesome power of a runaway steamroller, so get ready to pump up the volume and rattle those windows for this stentorian piece of stirring music. To paraphrase James Bond, you'll be shaken AND stirred after listening to this powerful and passionate piece of music. Into melodic Genesis territory now as we settle into a somewhat mellower mood for "The Gardens of Lethe". What's it all about you may well ask and where on Earth is "Lethe"!? No idea, because it's an instrumental. To call this wonderful piece of music an "instrumental" though doesn't really do it justice, because it's a sublime symphonic masterpiece, which is just what we've come to expect from Genesis keyboard maestro Tony Banks. It's time now to take a break "For a While", because that's the name of our next song. It's a lovely romantic ballad featuring these charming and invigorating lyrics:- "It sure felt good for a while, Yes, it was good for a while, I found somebody to take my hand, To the promised land of the loved." ..... It's emotional, it's inspirational, and above all, it's beautiful! Sadly, we've now reached the end of this impassioned and very impressive album with "In the Dark". It's a sad song that really tugs at the heartstrings with these emotionally-wrought lyrics:- "If you know my story now, Please don't tell, Don't want to hear, It can only bring me pain, Maybe one day before I die, I'll open that door, Maybe I'll cry, But for now I'll live in the Dark." ..... It's enough to bring a tear to your eye, as we say goodbye, but try not to cry, because this album will leave you on an emotional and spiritual high.

A gloriously uplifting album which is choc-a-bloc full of sonorous symphonies and romantic ballads. It's an absolute must-have album, regardless of whether or not you're a Genesis fan, because dare I say it..... this album is as good as, if not better than anything Genesis have ever done. It's certainly better than the 1980's Phil Collins era of Genesis, that's for sure!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 09 2019 at 07:07
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 15:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Some interesting obscure things there..I have the Ithaca, (Agincourt), Nektar, and have heard the others....meant to buy the Canterbury Glass thing but never did.

I'd love to buy every album I've reviewed, including all of Nektar's albums, but you just can't get hold of them in the shops, even when you try to order them. The only albums I have out of those I've reviewed so far are:-

TOMORROW - Tomorrow (1969)
MAGNA CARTA - Lord of the Ages (1973)
HAYWARD & LODGE - Blue Jays (1975)
THE GODS - Genesis (1968)
ANDROMEDA - Andromeda (1969)
ARCADIUM - Breathe Awhile (1969)

I own most of those you mentioned...but not all. I do have all of those above on your list.
I was lucky in that I met this guy about 5 years ago who had an awesome collection on cd and vinyl and he burned many obscure things for me and showed me where to get the rest.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 15:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

FUCHSIA - Fuchsia (1971)

Album Review #26:- 5 stars FUCHSIA were a British Prog-Folk band who released just one self-titled album in 1971 and then promptly disappeared from the scene, in common with many other one-album bands of the era. The album has now come to be regarded as a lost classic and their music has been compared with the Psych-Folk of Comus. If you like the music of Comus, then you're sure to like this album too. The band were a six-piece outfit, featuring a male lead vocalist and guitarist (Tony Durant), a bass guitarist, a drummer, and a mini-choir of three female vocalists providing backing harmonies and playing various instruments. Although the original album virtually disappeared without trace in the early 1970's, the band re-emerged in 2013 with another studio album "Fuchsia II - From Psychedelia to a Distant Place" with Tony Durant still there at the helm. This second studio album has also now become something of a rarity. There's also a compilation album available "Fuchsia, Mahagonny & Other Gems", released in 2005. A CD reissue of the original Fuchsia album in 2018 contained enough bonus tracks to make it a double album. Let's have a listen now and see whether Fuchsia are a rare flowering beauty or whether they're going to wither on the vine.

The album blossoms into life with "Gone with the Mouse", a very proggy-sounding song which sounds like Fairport Convention with bells on. One wonders what a song with such an obscure title could possibly be about. Well, it's a tale of derring-do in a medieval kingdom with gallant knights battling to defend a maiden's honour, in time-honoured tradition. The song is abounding with the sound of acoustic guitars, violins & cellos and lovely vocal harmonies from the 3-part girl choir. This song is as English as strawberries & cream at Wimbledon with the charming English accents of the singers very much in evidence. It's traditional English Folk with a progressive twist, and very good it is too. This album promises to be very special indeed if this opening number is anything to go by. Once more into the breach dear friends with "A Tiny Book", one of the two long songs on the album with a running time of just over 8 minutes. There are cellos and violins galore on this song, giving it something of a classical feel. The Prog-Folk elements are all there though, with fast-paced drumming, dextrous guitar riffs and constant changes of pace. It's compulsive, it's progressive, and above all, it's very impressive. Onwards and upwards now with "Another Nail", another tale of nefarious goings-on in medieval times. There' a long 3-minute instrumental intro in this entertaining fast-paced number. It's a real humdinger of a song, guaranteed to get the feet tapping with its spritely rhythm. In keeping with the medieval theme of castles & kings and gallant knights, the song opens with these lyrics, "Is that your daughter, Drinking some water, Laid on an altar, Selling a king for his crown?" ....... It's another 7 minutes of pure Folk-Prog joy and delight. The intriguingly-titled "Shoes and Ships" is up next. The cryptic lyrics are a mystery wrapped in an enigma, but who cares when the music is this good!? If you like the conventional Folk-Rock of Fairport Convention, and you'd like to hear it given an unconventional progressive twist, then this is the album for you. We come to "The Nothing Song" now, although this 8-minute wonder has everything! It's a lively and stirring number that proudly wears it's English heart on its sleeve. It's all about a day in the life of a typical Englishman, going out on a Saturday night, and having a long lie-in on Sunday - and what better way to spend a Sunday morning than lying back and listening to this wonderful album. And now for the penultimate song on the album "Me and My Kite", a jolly little tune with whimsical lyrics to lead us onto the seventh and final song, "Just Anyone," to play out the album. It's a brooding and mysterious song with enigmatic lyrics and it's a marvellous ending to a superb album overall.

For any fans of Prog-Folk out there who are looking for something fresh and original in the style of Fairport Convention & Fotheringay stirred into a progressive cocktail, then look no further than this compelling album of English Prog-Folk at it's very best. Fuchsia are blooming marvellous!

Love that one and play it regularly....I downloaded that from I Tunes btw.
btw...Fuchsia refers to Lady Fuchsia from the Gormenghast novels by Peake. The Strawbs also reference her in a song.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 09 2019 at 15:12
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 15:22
Here's another obscure one for you....great early proto prog stuff....
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 15:24
 I also have these on cd...love to have the original vinyl...

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 15:27
^^ Did you see my earlier post where I was asking if you had any more suggestions for obscure British prog albums from the 1970's for me to review? I'm always on the look-out for long-lost British album treasures to review. I've reviewed 38 albums so far with another 62 to go to reach the nice round number of 100 reviews, so I still have a long way to go. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 04:59
BADGER - White Lady (1974)

Album Review #39:-3 stars BADGER were a short-lived, British rock band with a soulful sound. They were founded by ex-YES keyboard player Tony Kaye. Badger's first album was a Live album titled "One Live Badger" (1973) (the clue is in the title) and this album "White Lady" (1974) is their only studio album. Badger's first album was in the Hard Rock genre, but this album "White Lady" was much more bluesy and soulful, due to the influence of singer Jackie Lomax, who wrote/co-wrote all ten songs on the album. The band also featured drummer Roy Dyke, of Ashton, Gardner & Dyke fame. The album was produced by the noted American musician, arranger and producer, Allen Toussaint. Jeff Beck made a guest appearance on the title track.

The album opens with "A Dream of You", a bluesy and soulful number in the style of Blood, Sweat & Tears, with some charming harmonising from the female backing singers. It's rock & roll with a heart full of soul, because this song has got SOUL in abundance! The song has a romantically passionate appeal, as these lyrics reveal:- "All I have to give, I'd give it all away for just a dream of you, All I ever knew, It doesn't mean anything beside a dream of you, Without a dream, Life is just a broken mirror, Without a dream of you, The way ahead don't get no clearer." It's All About Soul for the second song too with "Everybody - Nobody". It's a care-free song with a laid-back mellow groove, so if you approve, make a move, and get down into the groove. You can do a slow-dance to this groovy and breezy ballad, preferably with a romantic partner for company. "Listen To Me" the singer implores us with the next groovy ballad. It's a horny song (no, not THAT kind of horny) with the brass section sounding in fine fettle and having a blast. This song is oh-so-soulful with the sound of those lovely backing singers, they're together in perfect harmony, just like ebony and ivory, side by side on my piano, Oh Lord, why don't we..... but that's another song altogether. Onto Song No. 4 now and "Don't Pull the Trigger", a swinging and upbeat Jazzy number rooted in the blues, so what have you got to lose, put on those dancing shoes. It's "Just the Way It Goes" with the next number. This song is mellow, and it's all about a lonely old fellow, who's been given the elbow, and finds there's no pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow.

Opening Side Two, We now come to the title track, "White Lady", which features Jeff Beck on guitar. It's a soulful bluesy number which features the requisite guitar solo from Mr. Beck, and very good it is too, so take it away Jeff! "Be with You" is another song in the British blues tradition, but don't let that put you off, because it's also bright and brassy, groovy and soulful with a feel-good vibe. We're getting all religious now with Song No. 8, "Lord Who Give Me Life". Now this is the kind of uplifting spiritual music they SHOULD be playing in church. The vicar and his parishioners would be dancing down the aisle to this lively Jazzy number. Hallelujah brothers! There's "One More Dream To Hold" before we reach the end of the album. It's another nice slice of bluesy and soulful music with these imploring and heartfelt lyrics:- "Moaning pains in aeroplanes, Who's to blame in losing games, I really don't care anymore, Can't put myself there anymore, I really don't care anymore, It all goes by so fast and cold, Can I have one more dream to hold?" ..... This is British blues in the tradition of some of Paul Rodger's and Free's slower numbers, when they weren't rocking and rolling with "Alright Now" and "Wishing Well". It's time to get down and get funky now for the final song on the album, "The Hole Thing". It's a funky syncopated groove all about getting down and getting with it with your soul brothers, so shake your booty and get funky!

We're very much in Blood Sweat & Tears territory with "White Lady". This laid-back album of smooth and sophisticated Jazz- Rock is not in the slightest bit proggy, or even heavy, but if you're looking for a smooth and soulful slice of good old-fashioned British blues, blended with some bright and brassy horns,  then this might be just the album for you, especially if you're looking for fun and feeling groovy.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 10 2019 at 07:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 05:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Here's another obscure one for you....great early proto prog stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm planning to review the "Still Life" album tomorrow. It sounds good from what I've heard of it so far. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 07:21
STILL LIFE - Still Life (1971)

Album Review #40:- 5 stars STILL LIFE were a four-piece, English Heavy Prog band, featuring the powerful sound of the Hammond organ providing the backbone to the music. They released just one self-titled album on the Hard-Rock Vertigo label in 1971, before going their separate ways. The energizing and invigorating music has been described as similar in style to the heavy Hammond organ- driven sound of Ken Hensley's Uriah Heep. Let's clear away the cobwebs now from this long-lost "Still Life" album and find out if it's "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble".

The opening track, "People in Black", is the longest song on the album, which opens to the gentle sound of the flute, but don't be misled into thinking this is going to be a Jethro Tull-type proggy Folk album. No, because there's a crazy Hammond organist just waiting in the wings to take centre stage. This powerful number has the sound of Ken Hensley's Uriah Heep written all over it and the singer even sounds remarkably like Ken Hensley at times. This band might be "Still Life" in name, but they're certainly not "Still Life" in nature. This album rocks!! At over 8 minutes duration there's plenty of time for some keyboard histrionics and fireworks in this sonorous organic blast from the past. If you're wondering who those "People in Black" might be, then the lyrics might give us a clue:- "People in black wander round in the night, So that they can be seen, Writing their letter of protest, To say how they think things should be, About you and me, And how things should be, Writing about you and me." ..... No, we're still none the wiser, but who cares about the lyrics anyway with music as good as this. We're in full-on anthemic mode now with Song No. 2 "Don't Go". This invigorating song with a beseeching message is very reminiscent of "Sympathy" by Rare Bird. It's soulful, it's doleful, but above all, it's tremendously powerful. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this exhilarating and impassioned piece of music. We're getting all spooky now for Song No. 3, "October Witches". I'm guessing this intoxicating heavy keyboard number might have something to do with Halloween, so let's take a look at the lyrics:- "Long days ago of the summertime are fading fast, Leaves in the trees are falling at last, Darkness falls, Rooftops merge with the sky, Thought I seen something staring right in your eyes, October witches are at work again, You can say you don't believe in them." ..... Well, this song has me convinced that this is great music, regardless of whether or not one believes in witches. Just try not to have nightmares.

Onto Side Two now and Song No. 4, titled "Love Song No. 6". Confused? Me too! The song is subtitled "I'll Never Love You Girl", so it all becomes a little clearer now. It's a power ballad with a take-no-prisoners attitude. The song opens gently enough with the sound of an acoustic guitar, but the singer is ready to shout it from the rooftops, and prepare yourself for another powerful blast from the Hammond organ. In the time-honoured tradition of power ballads, it's a story of a broken relationship as these heartfelt lyrics reveal:- "I'll never love you girl, You'll never love me, I've given you eveything money could buy, Got so much pride now, Oh, but you're still too blind to see, Yes you are, too blind to see." ..... Yes indeed, whoever wrote those lyrics sounds like they were writing from bitter personal experience. Onto Song No. 5 now and it's time to wake up and smell the coffee for "Dreams". There's no chance of falling asleep and dreaming through this thunderous musical maelstrom though, with the stentorian sound of the Hammond organ making its presence loudly felt. And so, it's time now for the final song on this sensational and stupendous album with "Time", another tremendous 6-minute blast of musical dynamite, so light the blue touch paper and stand well back!

If you love the powerful Hammond organ-driven sound of Uriah Heep, then you're gonna love this album too. "Still Life" it ain't. This is rousing and rambunctious heavy British prog at its best. This long-lost album treasure is lost no more and it makes its sonorous presence felt in no uncertain terms. R U Ready 2 Rock!??

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 13:22
I think Psychedelic Paul has taken over PA.

Great thread. Paul is a breath of fresh air around here: someone who doesn't claim to know every album by every band ever termed progressive. We should all listen with childlike ears...

Keep up the good work, dude.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I think Psychedelic Paul has taken over PA.

Great thread. Paul is a breath of fresh air around here: someone who doesn't claim to know every album by every band ever termed progressive. We should all listen with childlike ears...

Keep up the good work, dude.
Thanks! Thumbs Up Yes, I've been pretty busy here over this past 3 months. It's nice to see someone other than me posting on my Prog Brittania blog for a change. It was beginning to get pretty lonely on here.  Dr Wu 23 has given me some great British album suggestions for me to review, some of which I've reviewed already. I've barely scratched the surface of the huge number of albums on Prog Archives though. There are people here who are far more knowledgeable about music than I am, so I'm just sticking to my specialist niche of long-lost British prog album treasures on this blog. I'm planning to retire when I've reviewed one hundred albums. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 11 2019 at 14:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 05:54
QUATERMASS - Quatermass (1970)

Album Review #41:- 5 stars QUATERMASS were a British Hammond organ-driven power trio, specialising in the kind of reckless keyboard abandon heard from such prominent bands as Emerson, Lake & Palmer and The Nice - bands who were just as well-known for their frantic stage antics as their music. The line-up consisted of bass player and vocalist John Gustafson, keyboard player Peter Robinson and drummer Mick Underwood. The original "Quatermass" (1970) album on the Prog-Rock Chrysalis label, was followed 27 years later by the second "Quatermass II: Long Road" (1997) album, when drummer Mick underwood put together a new line- up of the band. The original Quatermass album was reissued on CD in 1990 with two bonus tracks included. Let's dive into the Quatermass pit now and take a trip back in time to that magical proggy year of 1970 when Progressive Rock was just emerging like a phoenix from the ashes of the psychedelic sixties.

It's a very sedate 1-minute opening to the album with "Entropy". It sounds like we're attending a solemn religious occasion in church with the delicate sound of a solo organist introducing us to the album. Don't be fooled though, because this is just a prelude to "Black Sheep of the Family", a rip-roaring, organ-driven rocker. This is a solid-as-a-rock, heavy rocking song with a good pedigree: it was originally recorded by Chris Farlowe in 1970, turned down for Deep Purple's "Stormbringer" album in 1974, and later covered by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow on their first album in 1975. Forget about piano fortes, this is a full- force organ forte, played loudly, played proudly, and played powerfully. This raucous rocker is as rock solid as reinforced concrete! And now we come to the first of the long epic numbers on the album, "Post War Saturday Echo". At nearly 10 minutes in duration, it's a multi-part suite, opening with a moody and magnificent organ piece. There's no peace for the wicked (or the good) though, because this song really explodes into life like a stick of dynamite before we're even halfway through the song. Make no mistake, this is powerful all-guns-blazing rock & roll with a take-no-prisoners attitude. Prepare to be blown away, because this music will make your day! Let's take a look at the impassioned lyrics:- The city is a ravin' neon nightmare, Freudian symbols lay my soul bare, And every way I turn, Electric hoardings burn, And words that mean nothing, Are endlessly rushing, Telling me nothing I really wanna learn." ..... This is invigorating and reverberant music with powerful lyrics to match. "Good Lord Knows" we're onto Song No. 4 now, an altogether mellower number, so you can take it easy, make a cup of tea and put your feet up to this laid-back 3-minute ballad. It's back to some good old-fashioned hard rockin' again for the next song though, the 7-minute barnstormer "Up on the Ground". This powerful organ-driven number has Deep Purple written all over it. It's a riveting, rollicking, rock & rolling number with all of the surging power of a steam locomotive!

Well, after the sonic attack of Side One, what does Side Two have in store for us. Let's find out. Fasten your seat belts and hold on tight because there's no let-up. We're going supersonic up into the stratosphere for "Gemini", a romping, stomping, branstorming song that's positively pulsating with energy. There's enough radiant power here to light up a lighthouse. It's time to "Make Up Your Mind" now for Song No. 7, another multi-part epic, running at nearly 9 minutes long. Well, I've made up MY mind that this song and the album as a whole is very reminiscent of the powerful keyboard-heavy sound of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, which has to be a good thing. This grand-sounding piece of music has all the power and resonance of the Big Ben bell. Next comes the longest song on the album so get your "Laughing Tackle" around this. It's a 10-minute long instrumental number, giving the power trio a chance to flex their musical muscles with some very impressive and superlative soloing. This epic number features the requisite long pounding drum solo, an energetic and pulsating bass guitar riff, and of course, some frantic antics from the omnipresent keyboard player, who could give Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord or Ken Hensley a good keyboard run for their money any time of the day. And so, we end this high-flown, hard as a rhinestone Quatermass album the same way as we began, with a brief gentle reprise of "Entropy". You can stop headbanging and stomping those feet now.

This grandiose and spectacular album of relentless, pile-driving British Rock is sure to appeal to fans of the sonorous keyboard-heavy sound of bands such as Deep Purple, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Uriah Heep. This stupendous 50-year-old album has all the power and hard driving energy of a pneumatic drill. Quatermass are a supersonic blast from the past!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 12 2019 at 12:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 05:21
DAVID GILMOUR - David Gilmour (1978)

Album Review #42:- 5 stars Legendary Pink Floyd guitarist and singer DAVID GILMOUR (born 1946) has played on all of Pink Floyd's albums apart from the first one, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (1967). David Gilmour was brought in for the second Pink Floyd album "A Saucerful of Secrets" (1968), when the drug-induced, unreliable behaviour of Syd Barrett was becoming increasingly erratic. Gilmour replaced Barrett during the making of the album and he went on to record fourteen albums with Pink Floyd in total from "A Saucerful of Secrets" in 1968, right through to "The Endless River" album in 2014, which also included a posthumous appearance by keyboard player Richard Wright. With a long career spanning over 50 years, David Gilmour has won numerous awards both as a singer and guitarist, including being inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 as part of Pink Floyd, and in 2011, he was voted one of the greatest guitarists of all time in Rolling Stone magazine. He's also made guest appearances on a multitude of albums over the years. This self-titled album "David Gilmour" (1978) is the first of four acclaimed studio albums. He followed it up with "About Face" (1984), "On an Island" (2006), and his most recent album "Rattle That Lock" (2015). David Gilmour's four solo albums might be few and far between, but that makes them all the more special amongst his devoted fanbase. He's also released a couple of very well-received Live albums on CD & DVD, "Live in Gdansk" (2008) and "Live at Pompeii" (2017). The "David Gilmour" album we have here was produced and written by Gilmour and featured the guest musicians Rick Willis on bass and Willie Wilson on drums with three female backing singers providing vocal harmonies. Okay, that's enough waffle for now, so let's plunge in and have a listen to the album.

David Gilmour is in stonking good form with the instrumental opening number "Mihalis" (the Greek name for Michael). It features the kind of long-drawn-out soaring Floydian guitar riffs we've come to know and love from Pink Floyd. Although there are no lyrics, the music has a joyous and jubilant feel-good vibe to it, which makes it a perfect album opener. "There's No Way Out of Here" for Song No. 2, and it's a good thing too, because we're not going anywhere. We're sticking around to listen to this uplifting song and album in its entirety. "There's No Way Out of Here" might be a moody bluesy number, but it definitely won't leave you feeling moody or blue. The sound of David Gilmour's captivating guitar riffs is enough to brighten up the dullest of days and there's some lovely vocal harmonising too from the three female backing singers. We're getting all down and dirty now for some hard drivin' blues now in Song No. 3: "Cry from the Street". It begins as a slow bluesy number, but don't let that put you off, because the song quickly gathers in pace and concludes with some magnificent guitar flourishes from Mr Gilmour to leave you on an emotional and spiritual high. We're not "So Far Away" from being halfway through the album now. This song probably most resembles classic Pink Floyd than any of the songs on the album so far. It's similar in style to "Us and Them" and wouldn't seem out of place at all on the "Dark Side of the Moon" album. Even the vocal harmonising from the three female singers is very reminiscent of the Pink Floyd sound, which has to be a good thing.

Side Two opens with "Short and Sweet", which is not particularly short, but it's a little bit bittersweet. It's five and a half minutes of inspirational and uplifting music, given the masterly Gilmour touch of magic with some euphoric-sounding vocals and magnificent guitar work, in true Floyd-esque fashion. It's one of the highlights of the album in an album that's packed solid with great songs. Song No. 6 is "Raise My Rent", an instrumental number, featuring those oh-so-beautiful, trademark Gilmour glissandos. If you weren't on Cloud 9 already from listening to this superb album, then you may be after hearing this stunning virtuoso performance. You may not reach seventh heaven, but this uplifting piece of music will show you the way there. Song No. 7 is another song rooted in the blues, but there's "No Way" you'll be feeling blue after listening to the sound of David Gilmour's intoxicating guitar solo midway through the song. Onto Song No. 8 now and "Deafinitely" (no, that's not a spelling mistake or typo error). It's another instrumental piece giving David Gilmour a chance to really shine and do what he does best with some sublime soloing. Somewhat unusually, this uptempo and exuberant piece of music also features the sonorous sound of a synth with some weird electronic effects thrown in for good measure. We now reach the concluding song on the album with "I Can't Breathe Anymore", which could have been a Pink Floyd classic for sure, if it wasn't included on this solo album. It's classy and sophisticated Progressive Rock in true "Floyd-esquian" tradition.

This invigorating and uplifting album is absolutely essential for fans of Pink Floyd, although I expect most Floyd fans will  already have this album nestling in their treasured LP record and CD collections. It has all the hallmarks of the classic Pink Floyd sound we've come to know and love over the years from guitar maestro David Gilmour. I "Wish You Were Here" with me to hear this album because it's sensational!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 13 2019 at 11:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 05:32
QUINTESSENCE - In Blissful Company (1969)

1. Giants

2. Manco Capac

3. Body

4. Gange Mai

5. Chant

6. Pearl and Bird

7. Notting Hill Gate

8. Midnight Mode

Album Review #43:- 5 stars QUINTESSENCE were a quintessentially English Psych-Folk band. Their unique brand of Indian-influenced psychedelic folk music came to be defined as Raga Rock. The London-based, six-piece band released five albums between the years of 1969 and 1972, beginning with the album we have here "In Blissful Company" (1969), and followed by "Quintessence" (1970), "Dive Deep" (1971), Self (1972), and finally "Indweller" (1972). There were also two later offshoots of the band, named Kala's Quintessence and Shiva's Quintessence. The 2004 CD remaster of "In Blissful Company" included two bonus tracks added to the original eight songs on the album. It's time now to cook up a hot Madras curry and settle down with the sitar for some psychedelic Raga Rock.

"Giants" opens the album with a real giant of a song. It's a four and a half minute long psychedelic freak-out, featuring not only the sound of a wailing acid guitar, but some wailing vocals too. Tune in, turn on, and drop out to this psychedelic blast from the past. In the immortal words of Austin Powers, "It's groovy baby!" Onwards now to the intriguingly-titled "Manco Capac", who, just in case you wondered, was the first governor and founder of the Inca civilisation in Cusco, Peru. This Lovely song is overflowing with Love and flower power. It's sensual, it's spiritual and it's a song with perpetual appeal 50 years on from its recording. Take a look at these inspirational and devotional lyrics:- "High on a mount in the sacred place, The Holy sun is born to the lake, He radiates his life - the sun's so, In water and cosmic energy the God's flow, And he is the spirit in the lake of time, His eyes are the Truth you seek, His face is blue wishing cloud skies." ..... Hallelujah brother! This spiritual slice of late 1960's psychedelia will take you on a cosmic journey along the free love freeway, without the aid of any psychedelic substances. Far Out, Man! Onto Song No. 3 now and "Body", another song drenched in swinging psychedelic 1960's vibes. If you're looking for fun and feelin' groovy, then chill out to this mellow and laid-back groove and dream about going to San Francisco and wearing some flowers in your hair. And now we come to an uptempo and uplifting number "Gange Mai". What's it all about you may well ask. Well, it's all about the sacred (but very polluted) River Ganges as these lyrics reveal:- "Gange Mai, The river, Gange Mai, Holy water." ..... Yes, that's it in a nutshell. It's a lyrical, spritual hymnal tribute to the Indian river and Hindu goddess Ganga. The title of the next song, "Chant", might give you a clue as to what to expect. You won't be surprised to hear it's a devotional song full to the brim with repeated chants of "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna", so you might be inclined to put on a robe and shave your head for this spiritual number. Then again, perhaps not.

Onto groovy Side Two now and it's time to get on the magic bus for "Pearl and Bird". It's an enchanting and entrancing, laid- back devotional groove, with the golden-voiced rich mellow tones of the singer inviting us on a spritual journey. This inspiring music is your ticket to musical heaven. Onto Song No. 7 now and the best-known song by Quintessence which they'll always be remembered for, "Notting Hill Gate", which just happens to be the district of London where the band come from. This bright and lively, flutey psychedelic number was released as a single in 1970 and reached No. 22 in the UK charts. We come to the end of this inspirational and spiritual album now with "Midnight Mode", an epic 9-minute midnight mass, featuring a gorgeously-long flute solo. which Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull would be proud of. It's a song full of Indian mysticism and psychedelic guitar grooves. It's hippy, it's trippy, and if you're in the right kind of mood, the music will make you feel part of an ever-expanding, loving, joyful, glorious, and harmonious universe. Far Out Man!

If you've been in blissful ignorance of this marvellous album for the last 50 years, then give "In Blissful Company" a listen. This beautiful, inspirational and spiritual album will take you on an emotional, mind-expanding, psychedelic journey of love and devotion. Who needs a dopamine high from drugs to reach the heights of spiritual ecstasy when you can achieve an emotional and devotional high with this wonderful debut album. "In Blissful Company" is indeed a blissful album, which is best listened to in romantic company. It's fabulous, baby!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 18 2019 at 14:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2019 at 07:39
GNIDROLOG - Lady Lake (1972)
1. I Could Never Be a Soldier

2. Ship

3. A Dog with No Collar

4. Lady Lake

5. Same Dreams

6. Social Embarrassment

Album Review #44:- 4 stars GNIDROLOG were a British Prog-Rock band with a sound that is somewhat hard to define, so they've inevitably found themselves in the Eclectic Prog section of Prog Archives. The band were most notable for not including a keyboard player in their line-up. So, how did they come up with that bizarre bandname? Well, a little bird called Google tells me that they mixed together the letters of the band members names (a bit like Scrabble) and arranged them to form the name Gnidrolog, which just happens to sound like a fantasy world inhabited by goblins, elves and trolls. Their first album, the bizarrely-named "In Spite of Harry's Toenail" (1972) passed by vitually unnoticed at the time of its release and this album "Lady Lake" (1972) didn't fare much better either. The "Lady Lake" album with its distinctive album cover, is by far the better-known of the two albums and it's now gained something of a cult following with the advent of the Internet. The band broke up shortly after the release of "Lady Lake", due to disappointing sales, but they made a comeback with a third album "Gnosis" 27 years later in 1999. A remastered CD version of "Lady Lake" was released in 2012 with a bonus track added to the original six songs on the album. So, without further ado, let's step into the fantasy world of Gnidrolog.

We begin with the anti-war song, "I Could Never Be a Soldier", the longest song on the album at over 11 minutes long. It's a proggy folky number, sounding like a cross between Van Der Graaf Generator and Jethro Tull, so if you like those two bands, then you'll probably like this band too. In fact, the singer sounds remarkably like Peter Hammill of VDGG and there's an accomplished flautist very much in the mould of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. The horn section, particularly the tenor sax, also reminds one of VDGG, so any fans of Van Der Graaf Generator will feel right at home with this offbeat album. Sailing on now with "Ship", another song with the sound of the tenor sax very much at the forefront. This uplifting and upbeat 7-minute-long piece of music is a real highlight of the album. This is exuberant and exhilarating music, which will transport you back in time to those heady and wonderfully proggy days of the early 1970's. We come to the end of Side One now with a short and sweet gentle ballad, "A Dog with No Collar", a sad and maudlin acoustic number, which might bring a tear to the eye, but don't get too sentimental, because we still have Side Two to come yet.

Side Two beckons us with the 9-minute-long title track "Lady Lake", which, dare I say it, does sound slightly discordant in places, but that shouldn't put off fans of Van Der Graaf Generator, as this is precisely the kind of experimental and Jazzy rock we've become accustomed to hearing over the years from VDGG. Yes, this track is definitely in VDGG territory, so you'll know pretty much what to expect here. You might even hear elements of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" in this song if you listen VERY carefully. We're in romantic balladeer mode for the next song, "Same Dreams", a beautiful piano piece with these emotionally- wrought and heartfelt lyrics:- "We share the same dreams, the same hopes, the same cigarettes. They said we had a lot of growing up to do, Well I've done some without you, But I wish that you could have been here, And I wish that you could have been here, Yes I wish that you could have been here too." ..... Yes, it's an emotionally appealing good old-fashioned love song where the singer unashamedly pours his heart out to the listener in time-honoured tradition. You can put the hankie away now though, because the final song "Social Embarrassment" is a raucous and rambunctious uptempo number. The song barrels along at full-pelt with the horn section in full flow for six and a half minutes of lively and energetic, bright and breezy Jazz-Rock. A suitably uplifting finale to a superb album.

A Prog-Rock album with elements of Jazz and Folk which should appeal equally to fans of Van Der Graaf Generator and Jethro Tull. If you've listened to all of your VDGG albums over and over again and you want something in a similar style, but at the same time, a little bit different, then this could be just the album you're looking for. It *almost* sounds like a missing VDGG album from the classic early 1970's era. "Lady Lake" is a worthy addition to the progosphere, so dive in and give this memorable and long-lost album treasure a listen.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 16 2019 at 16:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 05:24
QUIET SUN - Mainstream (1975)

Album Review #45:- 3 stars QUIET SUN were a short-lived, British Jazz-Rock combo. Their line-up included Phil Manzanera (of Roxy Music fame) on guitar. Their one and only album "Mainstream" (1975) has been described as Canterbury Scene music, although none of the London- based band members are actually from the city of Canterbury. After all, Canterbury Scene is more of a musical description than a geographical location. Although Quiet Sun split up in 1972, Phil Manzanera got the band together again in 1975 for a one-off studio session and this album was the result. Renowned record producer and former member of Roxy Music, Brian Eno, participated in the making of the album, although he wasn't credited as the album's producer. The 2011 CD reissue of "Mainstream" included five bonus tracks added to the original seven mostly instrumental pieces on the album. So, what can we expect from Quiet Sun's "Mainstream" album? One suspects that the band were being a little bit ironic with the "Mainstream" choice of album title. Is it going to be mainstream music or something a little more offbeat? Well, let's find out.

It's sunny side up for the 7-minute-long opening number "Sol Caliente" (Spanish for "Hot Sun"), a warm and inviting sunburst of fuzzy guitar-driven, psychedelic Jazz-Rock. This long uptempo instrumental piece really gives the musicians a chance to shine in a psychedelic jazz guitar freak out, with a nifty keyboard player in his element and with the drummer pounding away on his kit with frenetic energy as if his life depends on it. It's not exactly a toe-tapper, because your feet could hardly keep up with the frantic pace of this upbeat and offbeat piece of music with its unusually complex time signature, so just lie back and enjoy it. There's more funky fusion on the way with "Trumpets with Motherhood". It's anybody's guess what this bizarrely- titled piece of music is all about, because it's another instrumental number. You might at least be expecting to hear some trumpets though in a piece of music titled "Trumpets with Motherhood", but no, there's not a toot of a brass trumpet horn to be heard anywhere, because this is another uptempo fuzzy guitar and electric piano combination. It's less than two minutes long though so there's barely time to nip out the room and make a cup of tea, so you may as well stick around for the next number, "Bargain Classics". You're unlikely to find this rare album in the bargain classics section of your local store though, as it's a pretty hard album to get hold of these days. So, what does the music sound like you may well ask. Well, it's a very offbeat and "off-piste" piece of music in a highly irregular time signature, which is intricately complex and fascinating to put it kindly, but which is all over the place, to put it unkindly. It all depends on your point of view: if you're an aficianado of Jazz Fusion, then you may go into rhapsodies of delight upon hearing this musical mayhem, but on the other hand, if Jazz-Fusion is not your thing, then you may want to skip to the next piece of music, which is "R.F.D.". The meaning of the initials "R,F.D." are shrouded in mystery, but this is a pleasantly soothing, laid-back mellow number to close out Side One, so lie back, relax, and let the music play as the cares of the day drift away, because this gorgeous piece of music is like a bright ray of sunshine on a hot sandy beach.

Side Two opens with one of the most bizarrely-titled pieces of music of all time: "Mummy was an Asteroid, Daddy was a Small Non-Stick Kitchen Utensil". It's just as well it's an instrumental piece, because if this song had lyrics, they'd probably make no sense at all, although that's never been a problem in the wierd and wonderful world of prog, where just about anything goes when it comes to song lyrics. Anyway, back to the music we have here, and it's another intense and fast-paced Jazz-Fusion freak out, which is *almost* as freaky as the track title implies, but don't let that put you off, because the music is very impressive. It's also pretty wild and "finger-licking" good, so be prepared to hear some fast and furious acid guitar riffs. We're off at a "Trot" for Song No. 6 now, a 5-minute-long piece of uptempo Jazz-Fusion which gallops along nicely to bring us to the closing piece of music on the album, "Rongwrong". It's another bizarre track title in an album full of peculiar and offbeat track titles, and at times, peculiar and offbeat music to match. "Rongwrong" is the longest song on the album at nearly 10 minutes in duration. It's also the first real song on the album, as it actually includes lyrics for the first time. If you think the song title is bizarre though, take a look at these off-the-wall lyrics:- "I'm looking in my little black book, to see if I was right or rongwrong, within the confines of whoremonger logic, to even try to sing this song. I could have asked the I Ching, but that would have taken up too much time, And with the time before fall, I didn't see there was no time to lose, If things got bad it could always turn into a blues, Like they do back home on the Delta ? grunt and groan." ..... Confused? You will be! Never mind the lyrics though, what about the music? It's joyful, uplifting and exuberant, but also quite offbeat, which is just what we've come to expect by now from an album that is a little bit off the beaten track.

This Canterbury Scene album of Jazz-Rock/Fusion is certainly not "Mainstream" and it may not be to everyone's taste, but it is pretty good and definitely worth a listen. One can't help feeling though, that the album could have been better if most of the tracks had included vocals instead of just the final song on the album. It certainly would have made the music more memorable if most of the tracks had included lyrics. That said, if you're heavily into Jazz-Fusion, then this rare long-lost album might be right up your street.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 16 2019 at 17:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2019 at 06:56
ROGER GLOVER - The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast (1974)

Album Review #46:- 4 stars ROGER GLOVER (born 1945) is of course best-known as the longstanding bass player with Deep Purple and Rainbow. In the second Deep Purple line-up during the early 1970's he appeared on four Deep Purple albums:- "In Rock" (1970), "Fireball" (1971), "Machine Head" (1972), & "Who De We Think We Are" (1973). He joined Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow in the late 1970's, appearing on four albums:- "Down to Earth" (1979), "Difficult to Cure" (1981), "Straight Between the Eyes" (1982), & "Bent Out of Shape" (1983). He rejoined his Deep Purple bandmates in the mid-1980's, returning for the 1984 album, "Perfect Strangers", and he's remained with the band ever since through the recording of ten albums, up to and including the most recent Deep Purple album, "Infinite" (2017). Roger Glover has also made numerous guest appearances on other musician's albums, as well as having a whole bucketload of production credits to his name. The album we have here, "The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast" (1974) is Glover's first solo album. He followed it up with "Elements" (1978) and "Mask" (1984). He teamed up with his Deep Purple bandmate Ian Gillan in 1988 to record the album "Accidentally on Purpose" and he's also recorded a couple of more recent albums, "Snapshot" (2002) and "If Life Was Easy" (2011) under the name Roger Glover & the Guilty Party. This album, "The Butterfly Ball" is a rock opera with all of the nineteen songs on the album written and produced by Roger Glover. It's a real ensemble effort though - with Glover acting as ringmaster - featuring a whole host of notable guest singers from the world of rock, including Tony Ashton, David Coverdale, Ronnie James Dio, Glenn Hughes & John Lawton amongst others. The music on this album is a real departure from the Hard Rock sound of Deep Purple that we've become so accustomed to hearing over the years from Roger Glover and his bandmates, so we could be in for a real surprise here. Let's have a listen now to "The Butterfly Ball" and see if it floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

"The Butterfly Ball" is really one long suite of music with all of the nineteen songs segueing into each other. As "Dawn" breaks on the album, we hear the sound of birdsong and the melodious sound of a synth, conjuring up images of a peaceful Sunday morning spent lazing in bed. This leads us nicely into the bright and lively "Get Ready", with the quirky sound of the synth giving the song a New Wave feel to it, before the term "New Wave" had even been invented. Remember, this is 1974 we're talking about here. The song is a real rocker at heart though, with Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple given a chance to really stretch his vocal chords. Next up is "Saffron Dormous and Lizzy Bee", a very silly song title with silly lyrics to match, but with a childishly charming appeal. Barry St. John & Helen Chappelle share vocal duties on this cheap and cheerful little number with its happy-go-lucky vibe. It's only a mere 90 seconds long and it sounds a little offbeat and off-the-wall, but being "Off The Wall" never did Michael Jackson's career any harm. The next song "Harlequin Hare" barrels along at a rapid hare's pace with the relatively unknown singer Neil Lancaster doing his best impression of David Essex. Burrowing onwards now with "Old Blind Mole", featuring John Goodison (who?) on vocals. It's a playful lyric sung in the nursery rhyme style of "Old King Cole". It's short and sweet at 70 seconds long, featuring the sound of a tabla drum, which somehow reminds one of Indian curries and poppadoms. Fluttering into view comes "Magician Moth", a mournful synthesiser piece, featuring the man himself, Roger Glover on keyboards, proving there are many more strings to his musical bow than "just" being a bass player in a Hard Rock band. Next up is "No Solution", a brassy and rollicking Jazz-Rock number which you could be forgiven for thinking it's titled "Don't Drink the Water", as that's the main recurring lyric of this romping stomping song. It features Micky Lee Soule on vocals, who, just in case you may not have heard of him before, was a member of Ronnie James Dio's band Elf, as well as being a founder member of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. You'll have no problem recognising the rich velvety tones of the singer on "Behind the Smile" though, because it's no less than David Coverdale, the acclaimed frontman with Deep Purple and Whitesnake. It's a quirky little song with an offbeat time signature, which is quite a departure from the Hard Rock songs we're more accustomed to hearing from Mr. Coverdale. We're in Countrified mode now for the bright and twangy Pop song "Fly Away". The virtually unknown singer on this song Lisa Strike sounds remarkably like Kiki Dee , which has to be a good thing. Next up is "Aranea", an imitation white Reggae number featuring Judy Kuhl on vocals. It's a happy-sounding song with the same kind of cheerful vibe to it as the cod Reggae song "Tropical Loveland" by ABBA. We reach the end of Side One now with Song No. 11: "Sitting in a Dream", featuring the barely-recognisable voice of Ronnie James Dio, no less. This beautiful ballad represents the high point of the album so far, with it's gorgeously-rich orchestration and with hard rocker Ronnie James Dio in romantic balladeer mode. Yes, really! This is an album FULL of surprises.

You may recognise the singer on the opening song on Side Two: "Waiting", because it's the sweet and soulful voice of Jimmy Helms. "Waiting" is a lovely Pop-Rock song with a heart full of soul which sounds as happy and carefree as a bright ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds. The lyrics are uplifting too:- "I'm waiting here for something good to come my way, And I've been waiting patiently all day, The sunshine begins to stretch upon the sky, I'm just waiting, Oh I'm waiting." ..... This bright sunshiney song is enough to brighten up anyone's day. Creeping along now comes "Sir Maximus Mouse", a song which is the complete antithesis of a timid mouse, because this is a powerful, hard rockin' mouse (and song) with attitude, featuring Eddie Hardin (of Hardin & York fame) on vocals. Next comes "Dreams of Bedivere", an instrumental number combining synthesiser and lush orchestration. Roger Glover does his best impersonation of Rick Wakeman on the keyboards before the orchestra takes over, concluding with a classical piece in the style of J.S. Bach. It's back for some more synthesiser virtuosity from Mr. Glover in the opening to "Together Again", before taking a completely different turn with the sound of a honky-tonk pub piano and with the Chas & Dave-style singer, Tony Ashton (of Ashton, Gardner & Lake), sounding like he's had a bit too much to drink. There's a complete change of pace again for the next song "Watch Out for the Bat", which brings to mind Ozzy Osbourne. It's a good old-fashioned lively rock & roll number (complete with orchestra) with John Gustafson giving it his all on vocals. It's time to feast your ears on the next piece of music because this is a beautiful solo piano piece titled "The Feast", which leads us into "Love is All". This is a real humdinger of a song, featuring Ronnie James Dio on vocals. It's a very commercially appealing and happy-sounding Pop song, so you won't be surprised to hear this uplifting Beatle-esque number was released as a single. It didn't make much of an impression in the U.K. charts, but it reached number one in The Netherlands, so I guess the Dutch know a good song when they hear one. The song also received a lot of airplay in America, often being featured in children's TV shows. It's "Homeward" now as we reach the end of our entertaining musical journey. Ronnie James Dio returns again for this beautifully-orchestrated romantic ballad. It also features a charming, sweet-voiced children's choir. This emotionally-rich and enchanting ballad closes out this marvellous album in fine style with an unrestrainedly joyous song of love.

"The Butterfly Ball" is a very musically diverse rock opera album where you never quite know what to expect next. The album is a veritable smorgasbord of music, featuring primarily Pop-Rock songs, but also including Hard-Rock songs and gentle ballads, with a sprinkling of Reggae and Classical music thrown into the mix too. If there's one thing this album definitely isn't though, it's not in the slightest bit proggy. If you're in the mood for some bright and cheerful Pop/Rock though, then look no further, because this is the album for you. You'll really have "A Butterfly Ball" with this sensational album. It's "Poptastic!"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 17 2019 at 06:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 04:25
MAGIC CARPET - Magic Carpet (1972)

Album Review #47:- 4 stars MAGIC CARPET were a British Psych-Folk band who - along with Quintessence - were one of the early pioneers of Indian- influenced Raga Rock. The band were led by Clem Alford, a classically trained player of the sitar, tamboura and esraj(?). The band released the self-titled "Magic Carpet" album in 1972, but broke up shortly afterwards, due to poor album sales. This rare album has since been described as "a jewelled crown in the treasure trove of psyche-tinged folk music", and deservedly so. It seemed as if the band had disappeared without trace until 1996, when Clem Alford got the band together again to record the aptly-titled "Once Moor - Magic Carpet II" album. A 1990's CD reissue of the first Magic Carpet album added the 20- minute-long "Raga" as a bonus track to the original twelve songs. Let's take a "Magic Carpet" ride to the Indian subcontinent now and have a listen to the album.

The album opens with the instrumental title track "The Magic Carpet", which sets the scene (and the table) very nicely indeed. Imagine, if you will, that you've just sat down and ordered a meal at your local Indian curry house. The waiter arrives with your chicken vindaloo curry and a plate full of poppadoms with a turban-headed man dressed in a dhoti robe playing away merrily on his sitar next to your table. That's the kind of hot and spicy image this music conjures up. The next track is like "The Phoenix" rising from the ashes because that's the title of the song. It's an uplifting song featuring an Indian tabla drum and we get to hear the beautiful lilting tones of Alisha Sufit for the first time. It's a gorgeous spiritual song full of radiant beauty and love and Alisha's warm and delightful voice will carry you away to a warm and exotic place somewhere in the distant land of the Raj. "Black Cat" is another lovely Indian-themed song, served up hot and spicy at your table. Alisha Sufit's dulcet tones are very reminiscent of some of Sally Oldfield's exotic songs from her first album "Water Bearer" (1978). We're still in the exotic land of a thousand and one Indian nights with "Alan's Christmas Card", a nicely laid-back instrumental guitar and sitar number, although there's nothing particularly Christmassy about it. This charming piece of spicy exotica will put you in a mellow mood with the sound of an Indian drummer gently tapping away on his tabla drums. Try not to get too laid back and fall asleep though because we're not even halfway through the album yet. It's time to gather in the "Harvest Song" now as Alisha sings "You reap what you sow, You sow what you reap". Her mellifluous rich tones are part of what makes this a very special album indeed. We're still in the land of The Far Pavillions for "Do You Hear the Words", another hot and sultry sitar number to close out Side One.

A gong announces the arrival of "Father Time" to open Side Two. It's four and a half minutes of sheer delight with the ever- present sitar player and Alisha Sufit's charming voice bringing to mind evocative and exotic images of India. We're in La-La Land next for "La-La". There's no need to ask what the lyrics are about, because as you've probably guessed, the only "lyrics" are "La-La" repeated ad infinitum until the sitar player finally runs out of steam. It's still a jolly nice tune though. If you're not in a peaceful mood already, then you will be after the next spiritual song, because it's the Magic Carpet "Peace Song", which is just as relaxing and peaceful as the song title implies, so just lie back and think of India. It's time to order your "Take Away Kesh" now, because that's the title of the next song on the album. If you can't afford a trip to exotic eastern lands, then close your eyes and let this side order of Indian exotica take you there. It's time to take a trip down to your local Indian restaurant now on the "High Street", which, as I'm sure you'll guess by now, features a tabla drummer and a sitar player to entertain you while you dine on curry and poppadoms. You'll need something to quench the thirst after all that hot and spicy food, so take a good long swig of your favourite aperitif and have a listen to "The Dream", the final song on the album. Alisha's passionate and mellifluous tones are a real dream and delight to listen to and she's in unusually high voice for this divinely spiritual closing number. Wait a minute though, our magic carpet ride is not quite over yet, because there's the long bonus track "Raja", which is 20 minutes of heavenly sitar bliss!

"Magic Carpet" really IS an Indian "Jewel in the Crown". It's a hot and spicy spiritual adventure, conjuring up images of exotic and distant foreign lands somewhere in the Indian subcontinent. It's not an essential prog album, because it's not in the least bit proggy, but it IS an essential Raga Rock album. Give it a listen. It might just spice up your life.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 18 2019 at 09:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 96>