Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 96>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 05:45
GRACIOUS - This is...Gracious!! (1971)

Album Review #48:- 5 stars Goodness GRACIOUS me! What have we here!? "This is...Gracious!!", the second album from the British Prog-Rock band Gracious! - complete with exclamation marks!! Their first album, self-titled "Gracious!" (1970), passed by virtually unnoticed at the time of its release, but the band remained undaunted, and on the presumption that you can't keep a good band down, they got together again around a year later and recorded the album we have before us now, which ALSO passed by virtually unnoticed, leading to the break-up of the band shortly afterwards, which is a shame because this is a damned good album. Gracious! might have been down and out for the count in the early 1970's after the commercial flop of two albums in a row, but they returned with a vengeance in 1996 with their third album, "Echo", although sadly, this album also failed to make much of an impression on the record buying public. A remastered CD version of the "This is...Gracious!!" album was issued in the 1990's with the non-album single "Once on a Windy Day" added as a bonus track to the original five songs on the album.

"Super Nova" occupies the whole of Side One of the album. This 20-minute-long epic is a four-part suite, so prepare for blast- off with "Arrival of the Traveller". it's a pounding and throbbing Space Rock instrumental opener which immediately brings to mind Hawkwind and early Pink Floyd. That opening assault on the ears leads us into "Blood Red Sun" a two-part song, opening with a harsh-sounding and strident slow marching rhythm, foretelling a bleak dystopian future for the Earth, which has obvious parallels with King Crimson's "20th Century Schizoid Man". The second part of "Blood Red Sun" is a fast-paced, instrumental freak-out jam session, where the talented group of musicians sound like they're really having a blast. This powerful and energetic blast from the past might not have the awesome power and brightness of a super nova, but it's a luminous red giant of a song. We're really slowing things down now though for "Say Goodbye to Love", an unashamedly romantic tearjerker, so it might be time to get out the hanky, because this emotionally appealing ballad might just bring a tear to the eye. The singer really pours his heart out with these touching lyrics:- "Once there was peace on earth, Joined were thoughts of people, Who knew more of love and kindness from them, Living life always a thought for each other, So I can say good bye to love, Say goodbye to happiness." ..... You can put away the hanky now though and "Prepare to Meet Thy Maker" with the fourth and final part of the "Super Nova" suite. The song opens with a gloomy doom-laden atmosphere, but don't get too downhearted because the singer emerges in fine voice from the gloom with what turns out to be a very uplifting and exhilarating piece of beautiful music. The Prog Gods will be Graciously appeased, because this is a really grandiose and triumphal anthemic masterpiece to lift the spirits heavenwards.

If you're looking for fun and feeling groovy, then have a listen to "C.B.S", the 7-minute long funky jam session which opens Side Two. There's no clue in the lyrics as to what "C.B.S." might be referring to, but it's nothing to do with the well-known record company of the same name. Just groove along and shake your booty down to the ground for this invigorating and intoxicating piece of music. This is a fast-paced, toe-tapping, organ-driven number with attitude. Onwards now with "What's Come to Be", a moody bluesy Mellotron song which sounds remarkably like The Moody Blues! It might not be quite as grandiose and spectacular as "Nights in White Satin" but it's not far off. In the immortal words of Barclay James Harvest, this symphonic epic could be described as a "Poor Man's Moody Blues", but in a good way. There's a nice use of alliteration in the title of our next song "Blue Skies and Alibis", even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a great piece of music though which barrels along at impressive speed with all of the musicians going hell for leather to keep up the pace. A well-earned tea-break might be in order for both the band and the listener after this frantic and frenetic jam session. Good Gracious, is that the time!? We've nearly reached the end of the album now and it's time to slow down the pace just a little for the closing song, "Hold Me Down". You can't hold this band down for long though because they're still in good solid rock & rolling form with this uplifting barnstormer of a song.

If you're in a Gracious mood for some good old-fashioned, classic British Rock from the early 1970's, then this is the album for you, because "This is...Gracious!!" - with two exclamation marks!!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2019 at 10:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 05:54
CATAPILLA - Changes (1972)

Album Review #49:- 5 stars CATAPILLA were a short-lived, London-based, psychedelic Jazz-Rock ensemble who released two albums in the early 1970's. They released their eponymously-titled first album in 1971 and the album we have here, "Changes", was released in 1972. "Changes" is an apt title, because a keyboard player was brought in for this album, giving the album a distinctly different sound to the first album. Catapilla featured the lovely voice of Anna Meek, who also wrote all of the lyrics for this album. The album also features saxophonist Robert Calvert, although he's not to be confused with THEE Robert Calvert of Hawkwind fame. There's a side-long piece of music titled "Embryonic Fusion" on Catapilla's first album, and that could quite easily apply to the early fusion of jazzy psychedelia contained within this enthralling album. There are four extended pieces of two-part psychedelic Jazz-Rock grooves on the "Changes" album, so let's have a listen now and see if Catapilla will turn out to be a bright and beautiful butterfly or just a dull-coloured moth.

There's plenty of time for "Reflection" on this opening 12-minute-long, psychedelic Jazz-Rock freak out. If you're on a mission to boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before to explore strange new music and to seek out "new" artists and "new" albums, then beam up right here and be transported back nearly 50 years in time and have a listen to this extended and exotic psychedelic Jazz-Rock Jam session. "Reflection" features echoey swirling vocals, a reverberant saxophone atmospherically phasing in and out and the ever-present sound of a psychedelic acid guitar soaked in reverb. If you're in an insouciant mood, then a bright sunburst of unrestrained Jazz-Rock "painted" in vibrant psychedelic colours might be just what you need. Be prepared for a dramatic metamorphosis eight and a half minutes into the song though, when this Catapilla song emerges like a beautiful butterfly into a floaty hypnotic ambience of swirling and echoey sound where you can be carried away peacefully into a sea of love and heavenly dreams. This music is groovy, baby! Returning to Earth now and our destination is London for "Charing Cross". This begins as a lovely laid-back and mellow Jazz-Rock groove. Prepare to be carried away by the soaring and uplifting vocals from Anna Meek with a cool saxophonist in accompaniment. There's a dramatic change of pace midway through the song though, when there's a sudden burst of energy and the song barrels out of "Charing Cross" station with all the power of a diesel locomotive daubed in psychedelic rainbow colours.

Side Two opens with "Thank Christ for George". There's no clue as to who the mysterious George might be, but putting that aside, it's another 12-minute-long psychedelic Jazz-Rock jam, featuring those lovely swirling and mellifluous vocals from Anna Meek with the gorgeously smooth and sophisticated sound of the saxophone in accompaniment. It's another two-part number, beginning as an uptempo and upbeat psychedelic Jazz groove and emerging into a slow dreamlike sequence where you may be tempted to just lay back and let the hypnotic and transcendental waves of music wash over you in an ocean of calm and peaceful serenity. If you haven't quite reached the heights of musical nirvana just yet, then the final meditative laid-back instrumental groove on the album, "It Could Only Happen to Me", might just help get you there. It's seven minutes of sheer unadulterated psychedelic joy and saxophonic delight!

This mesmerising album of hypnotic beauty is like a potful of calming musical nirvana without the aid of marijuana. In the same way as nature can transform a grubby caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly, the British band Catapilla have transformed sound into beautiful music with this marvellous album of Jazz-Rock drenched in bright and radiant psychedelic colours.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2019 at 08:32
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 10:58
Thanks for all the reviews...fun to read...I own all of those on cd you have posted lately...just played Quiet Sun and Gnirdrolog the other day.....need to pull out the Gracious (both of them) and Catapilla....
if I think of any others in my collection I'll mention them.

I'd love to have many of those on lp but original copies are not easy to get and cost an arm and a leg.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 11:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thanks for all the reviews...fun to read...I own all of those on cd you have posted lately...just played Quiet Sun and Gnirdrolog the other day.....need to pull out the Gracious (both of them) and Catapilla....

I'd love to have many of those on lp but original copies are not easy to get and cost an arm and a leg.
;)
Thanks for your support! I'd really like to hear some more obscure British prog recommendations from you, because I've given nearly every album you've suggested so far a full five-star rating. You have excellent tastes in music. Thumbs Up I'd love to buy all of the albums I've reviewed so far on CD, but some of the CD's cost an arm and a leg too and they're very hard to get hold of in the shops, but I'll keep trying. Half the fun in finding rare long-lost album treasures is all of the searching that goes into it, and it's even better if I can find them at a bargain price in a second hand record store for instance. I'm looking forward to hearing more suggestions for future reviews. Gryphon's third album "Red Queen to Gryphon Three" is up for review tomorrow. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 13:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

;)
Thanks for your support! I'd really like to hear some more obscure British prog recommendations from you, because I've given nearly every album you've suggested so far a full five-star rating. You have excellent tastes in music. Thumbs Up I'd love to buy all of the albums I've reviewed so far on CD, but some of the CD's cost an arm and a leg too and they're very hard to get hold of in the shops, but I'll keep trying. Half the fun in finding rare long-lost album treasures is all of the searching that goes into it, and it's even better if I can find them at a bargain price in a second hand record store for instance. I'm looking forward to hearing more suggestions for future reviews. Gryphon's third album "Red Queen to Gryphon Three" is up for review tomorrow. Smile

Heh there...
Even some of the cds can be hard to find but most of my early prog and psych cds were bought many years ago and some were burned for me by a friend who has a remarkable collection on vinyl and cd. He even transferred some from original vinyl to cd for me. I have some very obscure and hard to find things from him.
I'll go through my cds this weekend to see what I can recommend to you.
btw...I have 2 original lp copies of Red Queen To Gryphon 3. :)

Edited by dr wu23 - December 20 2019 at 13:04
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 13:13

MOGUL THRASH - Mogul Thrash (1971)

Album Review #29:- 4 stars The six-piece MOGUL THRASH were a short-lived, brassy and bluesy, heavy Jazz-Rock band from London. Who knows where they came up with the bizarre name, but maybe Mogul Thrash refers to the powerful drumming on the album. The band were originally known as James Litherland's Brotherhood, which sounds like an Easy Listening MOR group, so perhaps the change of bandname was no bad thing. Singer/guitarist James Litherland was previously a member of Colosseum. Mogul Thrash also features John Wetton on bass and vocals. Wetton is best-known as the frontman of Asia, as well as being a one-time member of Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music and Uriah Heep during his long and distinguished career. Sadly, John Wetton is no longer with us, having passed away in 2017 at the age of 67, but he'll be long-remembered for many years to come, gaining the musical equivalent of immortality. This one and only self-titled album by Mogul Thrash was produced by renowned Hammond organ maestro Brian Auger, who also played piano on Track 5: "St, Peter". The 1999 CD reissue also included the single "Sleeping in the Kitchen." Are you ready to Rock!?? Well, Let's Go!!

The album opens with the bright and brassy number "Something Sad", but something sad it definitely isn't! This music will invigorate you, exhilarate you, and maybe even rejuvenate you with its raw energy and power. It's brassy and bold, which is just what you'd expect from a Jazz-Rock band. The heartfelt plea contained in the lyrics tell a story of a relationship gone sour:- "Where is the love, That you said you would bring me today?, Nothing is left, Of the debt that I had to repay, 'Cause when you get to making your mind up, When you get to telling your lies, There's one thing that will always deceive you, The look of something sad in your eyes." ..... It's bluesy, it's brassy, it's gutsy, but above all, it's great music! Onwards now to Track 2, the 10-minute-long epic "Elegy". This is a re-working of the classic Colosseum song that originally appeared on the "Valentyne Suite" album. This song features a wild and extended psychedelic jam to stimulate and delight the senses. If you're in the mood for a hefty slice of Psychedelic Rock, then you'll be in seventh heaven with this song. As the song title implies , it's another moody blues number, but sounds nothing like THEE Moody Blues. No, this is bold and brassy blues with an attitude. It's another sad tale of lost love with these mournful lyrics:- "Baby don't you leave me in this world alone, We'll go and see somebody who won't shake his head and moan, Doctors can do anything, it is said today, I'll do anything, yeah I'll even pray, But don't you leave me alone like this, I couldn't stand it without your kiss, So don't go, Oh don't you go." ..... It's another good old-fashioned slice of British blues, spiced up with some loud and brassy horns. The intriguingly titled "Dreams of Glass and Sand" is up next. What's it all about, you may ask? Well, maybe the lyrics will enlighten you:- "Lost in the answers, Under the sea, Trapped, staring outwards, Waiting for me, You can stay with me, You hold the last scars of light in your hand, Stay with me, In the dreams of glass and sand." No, I'm STILL baffled, but who cares about the lyrics anyway when the music is this good!? It's another upbeat and lively Jazzy number with brassy horns in abundance, and who could ask for anything better than that when it comes to classic British Jazz-Rock!? We come now to the longest song on the album, "Going North, Going West", with a running time of 12 minutes. This is one long extended jam session without vocals. The brass section sound like they're having the time of their lives on this energetic number, not to mention the wild guitarist who goes off on one hell of an acid trip with some freaky psychedelic riffing. This is where the musicians really get to strut their stuff and show what they're made of. Prepare to be amazed! It's All That Jazz and a lot more besides. And now we come to the penultimate song on the album, "St. Peter", another energetic song that's as bold as brass with the spirited horn section sounding like they're having a blast. And "What's This I Hear?" Have we come to the final song already? Yes, indeed we have, because "What's This I Hear?" is the sixth and final song on the album. The singer gets down and dirty with this raw bluesy number, with lyrics that are too rude to be re-printed here, so I'd better leave them to your imagination. This is a powerful Jazz-Rock number to close the album in memorable style with the sonorous brass section in solid form again. This album Rocks!

If you're in the mood for a good old-fashioned dollop of classic British Jazz-Rock, then this might be just the album you're looking for. This one-off album is bound to appeal to fans of the bright and brassy sound of Colosseum and other bands of that ilk. It's very heavy, but not so very humble. Play it loud and proud, but try not to annoy the neighbours.

I paid a local kid...$70 for that on original vinyl..but it;s in VG+ shape.
:)
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 13:28
Here's one for you...Brit acid folk 1971...very obscure...Count Me Out by Moonkyte.

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 13:35
One of my favorite psych/proto prog things....pre Spooky Tooth......Art-Supernatural Fairy Tale.1967/8

I have this on original vinyl..in good shape.....Big smile

Edited by dr wu23 - December 20 2019 at 13:36
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 13:41
You like American psych rock...here's one for you..I have the cd, but would buy the vinyl if I came across it ...but they start at $150.00 and go up....;)
Great west coast sound like Quicksilver, Airplane, etc...

Edited by dr wu23 - December 20 2019 at 13:45
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 14:03
I'd like to have reviewed "Supernatural Fairy Tales" by Art but it's not in ProgArchives database. I suggested it for inclusion in the Proto-Prog section, but it was rejected. Confused Luckily, I managed to pick up the CD from FOPP in Nottingham recently for the bargain price of £5.

I remember hearing that great album by Kak several years ago and the reason I remember it is because I thought it was a funny name for a Prog-Rock band. Smile

I'm looking forward to listening to the Moonkyte album. I'll write a review for it too if it's on ProgArchives. I'd never heard of the group or the album before.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 14:43

You like American psych rock...here's one for you..I have the cd, but would buy the vinyl if I came across it ...but they start at $150.00 and go up....;)

please stop encouraging/engaging him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Hi Cristi. It's lovely to hear from you again. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:41

don't flatter yourself, i wasn't talking to you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:43

Why not? Have you fallen out with me?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:48

fallen out is an understatement and if you've never understood that, even a little bit, maybe i should never talk to you ever again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:56

fallen out is an understatement and if you've never understood that, even a little bit, maybe i should never talk to you ever again.
I thought we were best friends because you've always been the biggest contributor to my blogs. Anyway, why would you object to Dr Wu23 suggesting albums for me to listen to and review?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 15:58

I thought we were best friends because you've always been the biggest contributor to my blogs. Anyway, why would you object to Dr Wu23 suggesting albums for me to listen to and review?

because you do not deserve the attention and the appreciation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 16:04

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm detecting a distinctly unfriendly attitude here. I'm mystified. This is after all the nice things I've said about your album reviews too.  What have I said or done to upset you?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 16:11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm detecting a distinctly unfriendly attitude here. I'm mystified. This is after all the nice things I've said about your album reviews too.  What have I said or done to upset you?

Oh, you don't know, go figure.
I'll just go back to ignoring you...
oh wait, you did not know that.
Shyt...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 16:15

Oh, you don't know, go figure.
I'll just go back to ignoring you...
oh wait, you did not know that.
Shyt...
We were getting along so well together up until now. What went wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 96>