Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumvirat Appreciation Thread
    Posted: October 13 2019 at 13:40
As my older lengthy Triumvirat thread has been closed for some time, and it is exactly 50 years since the band was formed, I thought I would start a new Triumvirat Appreciation Thread.
           It is hard to believe that this group was started so long ago, and has gone through so many changes over the years, in personnel, musical focus, popularity, and status.
            As you folks know, I have tried my best to keep the flame of this prog band alive with my Triumvirat focus on the net, and this thread hopefully will continue to keep people listening to, and talking about, what will always be my favorite band.
             I encourage those who read these opening words to join with me in keeping alive Triumvirat and it's music.

Edited by presdoug - October 13 2019 at 14:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 12:39
Never heard of these guys. Where to start? LOL
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

And I thought you were familiar with them.LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 14:20
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

And I thought you were familiar with them.LOL

They're Czechs, right? LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 14:37
I think they are that band that sound just a tiny bit like ELP. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 17:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

According to Doug, they do NOT. They sound like T'rat. LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 17:35

The debut album, Mediterranean Tales, sounds quite nice -- sounds quite The Nice that is.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 20:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The debut album, Mediterranean Tales, sounds quite nice -- sounds quite The Nice that is.
Seriously, they have their own, inimitable "vibe" or atmosphere to their music-they are truly unique-definitely a group in their own right.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 20:44

LOLWink

I recently revisited the first three albums.

Mediterranean Tales was a bit of a chore, I'm afraid. Yeah, it's not an outright ELP lampoon album, but you know Jurgen wants to be Keith. 

Illusions on a Double Dimple is a bit better, but for me, it lacks some oomph.

Spartacus — a clear winner as far as symphonic keyboard trio prog goes.

Ditto for Old Loves Die Hard.

So, Spartacus and OLDH remain the ones I'll hang on to. I'm not interested in anything they did post-OLDH.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 21:46
Ooh, what a Lucky Girl she was... (Lucky Girl doesn't sound like Lucky Man).

Spartacus is good, with Illusions on a Double Dimple I really like a lot of "Mister Ten Percent" and the bonus tracks on the remaster. Don't get me wrong Doug, and I think I made that The Nice joke before, just because it reminds me of ELP and The Nice (Keith Emerson), it has its own flavourings too throughout albums (and other influences), but that ELP influence sounds pretty obvious at least in the early albums, and Jurgen compares pretty favourably to Keith. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Logan - October 14 2019 at 21:47
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 00:31
Illusions is the album. Better than all ELP albums bar Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy and should be a top 50 prog album. Never cared for Spartacus though and that was a real sticking point for me initially. It is original (perhaps except for a few cheeky Keith Emerson keyboard refrains) but I find it all a bit too cheesey ( and I like cheese!) . BTW Jurgen did an excellent solo album Hard To Be God in the eighties a little bit in the style of Vangelis. Try to track that down if you can!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Illusions is the album. Better than all ELP albums bar Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy and should be a top 50 prog album. Never cared for Spartacus though and that was a real sticking point for me initially. It is original (perhaps except for a few cheeky Keith Emerson keyboard refrains) but I find it all a bit too cheesey ( and I like cheese!) . BTW Jurgen did an excellent solo album Hard To Be God in the eighties a little bit in the style of Vangelis. Try to track that down if you can!

I don't hear anything as compelling as "Tank," "Take a Pebble" or especially "Knife-Edge" on Illusions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:00

Jurgen compares pretty favourably to Keith. Nothing wrong with that.

That's right.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:38
It is hard to say in a few words or sentences why I consider Triumvirat so special. Frankly, they do things for me that ELP don't, that no other group does, really.
        But the capability of appreciating and sensing something of value in music is a subjective analysis, I realise.
           Give me any of their first four albums over their colleagues in prog rock any day of the week! There is something so refreshing and vital in that early Triumvirat music that it floors the competition.
            And they never needed any theatrics in getting that across to audiences when they performed live; just the music sufficed.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:06

Edited by presdoug - October 15 2019 at 20:07
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:09
^Photos of Triumvirat live in America on July 19th, 1975 from top left, Juergen Fritz, Helmut Koellen, and Hans Bathelt below
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 00:25

^Photos of Triumvirat live in America on July 19th, 1975 from top left, Juergen Fritz, Helmut Koellen, and Hans Bathelt below

Doug, I admire your loyalty to your favorite band!! 

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to send you what I promised, hang in there!  You'll like it!

Best, Chuck
Smile
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 00:51

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't hear anything as compelling as "Tank," "Take a Pebble" or especially "Knife-Edge" on Illusions

I'm talking about whole albums and the first couple of ELP albums are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned even as a fan. Triumvirat were so much more organised and the music is impressively fluid . ELP were perhaps just too ego based (cliché number 133) but Karn Evil 9 and Toccata raised ELP to a level that few could follow (all in my opinion of course)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 06:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Doug, I admire your loyalty to your favorite band!! 

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to send you what I promised, hang in there!  You'll like it!

Best, Chuck
Smile
Hey, Chuck, great to hear from you, and thanks for your continued interest and support. It means a lot, man! And am looking forward to the package-thanks!

Edited by presdoug - October 16 2019 at 06:22
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:04
Well, I've tried listening to them but I'm afraid they do nothing for me. ELP trounce them in all departments for me - songwriting, musical ability and probably crucially the vocal department. Not a patch on Lake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>