Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:24
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.

Perfect encapsulation of how I feel too about Hogarth-Marillion.  That soggy voice is like overcooked sphagetti or something to me.  I guess it's very hard to relate to him coming from Fish-Marillion given that Fish, if anything, magnified the emotions and had this huge dynamic range and all.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:28
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Lots of talk about Dream Theater....as a practicing musician who's seen them in concert, I'd like to say that DT seems to be into fast, long solos for their own sake.  Amazing technicians, but really, you could cut down on the blazing guitar solos and put some heart & soul into it! 

Technically, John Petrucci is one of the "best" guitarists I've ever seen (spoiler alert = I know RF), and his technique and skills are amazing!  I especially enjoy when DT covers other bands like King Crimson.  

However, I just don't listen to them much.  The keyboards are also quite over-done and overwhelming IMHO.  Wish I could play like that!

Also ruined by LaBrie.  I mean, I think they would sound at least a tad more engaging emotionally with a singer like Russell Allen. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 01:50
Comparing Benny the Bouncer to Epping Forest?
A. The Genesis Mini epic, is prog. Benny is chas n dave.
B. Forest fits in perfect with the concept of SEBTP.
C. The lyrical quirky character vocals are the best of any satirical prog song.

I can accept that non English peoples, especially septics, would struggle with the early seventies colloquialisms and not get into the monty pythonesque subleties that make the lyrics multi layered with meanings. Gabriel's finest moment if you ask me....and very badly copied by ... collins...

Edited by Logan - October 21 2019 at 14:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 05:55
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I assume most people on this site are pretty open minded about music & enjoy exploring different artists but I'm sure there are bands we all try to get in to, but we just can't . We don't say that are bad or not talented , they're just not for you. 

None, really, as I can listen pretty much to anything. But I'll admit that I do not always enjoy the cookie cutter metal stuff and the copy of the vocal styles ... but that just makes the bands secondary for me, and all that means is I am not spending 2 cents on any of them!

My take is ... I DON'T LISTEN TO PROG .... I listen to music! PERIOD

(... AND I don't think that many folks around here get it! ... )

Edited by moshkito - November 14 2019 at 08:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 11:12
I happen to love "Battle of Epping Forest" and don't think it's in any way on the level of ELP's attempts at whimsy.

PROGMATIC
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 11:14
Pattern Seeking Animals
Dream Theater
Anything with Nad Sylvan's vocals
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Soundmaster1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundmaster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 19:54
GDGG
Gentle Giant

and the unlistenable KC albums (lizard, Island, the 80s stuff)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 23:24
Originally posted by Soundmaster1 Soundmaster1 wrote:

GDGG
Gentle Giant

and the unlistenable KC albums (lizard, Island, the 80s stuff)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds King Crimson's "Lizard" album unlistenable. Smile

Who are "GDGG"?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Comparing Benny the Bouncer to Epping Forest?
A. The Genesis Mini epic, is prog. Benny is chas n dave.
B. Forest fits in perfect with the concept of SEBTP.
C. The lyrical quirky character vocals are the best of any satirical prog song.

I can accept that non English peoples, especially septics, would struggle with the early seventies colloquialisms and not get into the monty pythonesque subleties that make the lyrics multi layered with meanings. Gabriel's finest moment if you ask me....and very badly copied by ... collins...

agree with A (not all epics are good) and B is true but couldn't careless about quirky vocals C (why bother?). It's still stuff of nonsense and after about 2 minutes it doesn't go anywhere interesting. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 05:15
Hindsight is 20-20 vision. But given the relative weakness of more fool.me and after the ordeal...Banks and hackett should have put in some seriously self indulgent solos into the forest and made it a proper epic of 20 minutes or more...What an album SEBT would have been then!!!

Edited by M27Barney - October 22 2019 at 05:15
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:26

Hindsight is 20-20 vision. But given the relative weakness of more fool.me and after the ordeal...Banks and hackett should have put in some seriously self indulgent solos into the forest and made it a proper epic of 20 minutes or more...What an album SEBT would have been then!!!

given that I Know What I like is also weak, you must hate the album, then

Personally, I love Epping Forest (the best of the album) and After the Ordeal is a perfect soothing piece after the battle... But yeah the track is a little wordy and some cool solos would've been great too.

my weakest three tracks on SEBTP are Fool (by a light year) than Wardrobe, then Firth

Edited by Sean Trane - February 01 2022 at 14:53
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 07:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man more than i can count I suppose.. I guess the big one will always be prog Genesis. The years they spent f**king around before finally doing what they were really good at and where their talents really were.. good pop music.   

Strange seeing this ... they started out as pop music, albeit one would think that the songs were a bit more towards "art pop music", than just regular top of the pops stuff.

I enjoyed GENESIS, but they were never the very best ... there were a lot of European bands that were doing a lot of music that was much more exciting and valuable ... other than the 2 albums of GENESIS that stand out for me ... SEBTP and TLLDOB. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:03
I think "Selling England by the Pound" is a perfect album as it stands. I wouldn't change anything. It's my favourite Genesis album. Thumbs Up Heart
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:26
SEBTP is so good (probably four of the top ten symphonic prog tacks of ANY era) that the god awful MFM is definately the most overshadowed track EVER!!!! BUT IT COULD BE IMPROVED. Extend the four genius tracks and make it a double like Tales and bobs yer uncle...
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

then Firth

Lol

Good one.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 09:47
Mythos.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:01

SEBTP is so good (probably four of the top ten symphonic prog tacks of ANY era) that the god awful MFM is definately the most overshadowed track EVER!!!! BUT IT COULD BE IMPROVED. Extend the four genius tracks and make it a double like Tales and bobs yer uncle...

extending everything doesn't make it better

Make Epping Forest 2 minutes long and the album would get an extra star from me. More Fool Me is absolutely okay as a song but doesn't fit. Wardrobe is just the equivalent of Money (overplayed) . There are 3 brilliant tracks and certainly Firth Of Fifth could be considered one of the best prog tracks ever , totally perfect from start to finish.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 04:35
Perhaps it is me. I think that Dancing, Firth, Cinema and Epping are all in the Finest symph prog tracks of all time. However, later prog bands esp Transatlantic and the Flokis have examples of the extended epic. Stardust we are, Monsters and Men (best guitar solo on pure length alone) and Garden of Dreams are all of the required length for an epic. All of the above (monster solo by stolt) show how it can be done. I would buy an extended version of SEBTP..even at £100 notes...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 04:43
Enchant. They do nothing for me. I checked them out after Ted Leonard joined Spock's Beard.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 08:21

Perhaps it is me. I think that Dancing, Firth, Cinema and Epping are all in the Finest symph prog tracks of all time. However, later prog bands esp Transatlantic and the Flokis have examples of the extended epic. Stardust we are, Monsters and Men (best guitar solo on pure length alone) and Garden of Dreams are all of the required length for an epic. All of the above (monster solo by stolt) show how it can be done. I would buy an extended version of SEBTP..even at £100 notes...

Who are "The Flokis"? I can't see any mention of them anywhere. Question
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>