Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 16:23
Yes and Rush, first and foremost. They do very little for me, and I can't connect with them. And I think the same goes for the few Canterbury things I have actually heard (which - to be honest - is not very much).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 16:30
Ok, some of you seriously need to consider turning in your prog cards. LOL
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 22:08
There is one band I’ve never been able to get into. All “criteria” say I should like them, but each time I’ve tried I have found them to be too dramatic, shrill, and essentially copycats. I’d rather listen to my neighbor cut ceramic tile than listen to them. Excellent musicians to be sure, but I just can’t stand their songwriting or their sound. I’m not going to say who, out of respect for them, but their beginning marked the end of the Prog eras that I like. It probably just means I’m getting old.   
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 09:35
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

There is one band I’ve never been able to get into. All “criteria” say I should like them, but each time I’ve tried I have found them to be too dramatic, shrill, and essentially copycats. I’d rather listen to my neighbor cut ceramic tile than listen to them. Excellent musicians to be sure, but I just can’t stand their songwriting or their sound. I’m not going to say who, out of respect for them, but their beginning marked the end of the Prog eras that I like. It probably just means I’m getting old.   

Sounds like Marillion to me... LOL
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 05:36
Yes for me. Or no.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 06:03
Gazpacho - sounds like an overblown, pompous version of Radiohead.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 07:00
DeadCry But true Gentle Giant i`ve try numerous times over the years but its a NO!   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 07:51
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Sounds like Marillion to me... LOL

Could be the Flower Kings...
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:31
Peter Hamill. A lot of people say that his 1973-1974 albums are all excellent works of prog, but most of the songs on them are just very boring and monotonous to me.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 23:54
^I've listened to his first two solo albums and so far, I agree. I also had to force myself to get into VdGG. They are slowly warming up to me. I still prefer Godbluff and Still Life to H to He and Pawn Hearts.

Otherwise, Gazpacho didn't do much for me on first listen. Same with Airbag (which I think belongs more in Crossover than Neo, as an unrelated thought).
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 02:28
Im assuming that you only mean bands within the "progressive" field?

For that i only have 2 mentions

Queensryche.   Like them as a traditional heavy metal band, but just cant get into their progressive metal works.  Ive not heard one song by them, where my reaction to it was better than "ermm.....ok i guess"

Marillion.  Ive tried getting into them, but ive yet to hear a song by them where my opinion was better than Queensryche as a prog metal band.   Kayliegh is an alright song, but i guess that doesnt count, cause that was Marrilions attempt at a mainstream rock song.

I gave them a try because Arena have their original drummer, and some early Arena songs do sound Marrilion'ish, like Medusa and The Healer.

As for non prog rock bands, these are my nominations.   Blind Guardian, The Cure, The Mission, Gary Numan
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:21
I watched Spock's Beard in concert last night and fell asleep. I'm not a big fan. Smile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 04:41
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Peter Hamill. A lot of people say that his 1973-1974 albums are all excellent works of prog, but most of the songs on them are just very boring and monotonous to me.
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the Van Der Graafs, but that row of Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night ('73) and The Silent Corner of the Empty Stage and In Camera (both in '74) just don't get my interest, and "boring and monotonous" pretty much sums it up. If Hammill's collective work followed along the lines of his debut Fool's Mate ('71) and Nadir's Big Chance ('75), it would be another story.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 09:13
I have never got into VDGG, have no idea why and I find KC very hit and miss. With KC I like the first 2 albums but I have trouble after that.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the Van Der Graafs, but that row of Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night ('73) and The Silent Corner of the Empty Stage and In Camera (both in '74) just don't get my interest, and "boring and monotonous" pretty much sums it up. If Hammill's collective work followed along the lines of his debut Fool's Mate ('71) and Nadir's Big Chance ('75), it would be another story.

Haven't listened to Fool's Mate yet, but I agree that on the whole, Nadir's Big Chance is certainly more exciting than the three albums before it. 

There are a couple songs that I like—namely "(In the) Black Room / Tower" from Chameleon and "A Louse is Not a Home" from The Silent Corner, but that's about it.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 00:54
I understand what you mean about VDGG. It just sort of clicked for me with VDGG one day, listening to 'Man-Erg'. It was a very, "Ohh, this is actually amazing." moment. 
I always forced myself to listen to songs I don't like, especially prog songs that are praised endlessly by a community like this.

People might think it's crazy to do that. I mean, if you don't like a song then you don't like it, right?

I hate admitting this, but for the longest time I could not understand why everyone loved 'Supper's Ready' so much. I must have listened to it 20 times before I got it. It's one of my favourite Genesis songs now.
So yeah, you don't have to follow my lead, but I'm glad I listened to 'Man-Erg' and 'Supper's Ready' over and over again, because my appreciation/love for them now is otherworldly.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 04:24
I didn't like wine when I first had it, but now I can't imagine life without it. It can be the same with some music if exposed over time. Many reports of listening to a band or song quite a lot before "getting it".

Some I haven't gotten into: VDGG, Gentle Giant, Soft Machine Frank Zappa, Magma, Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend.

There are more 70's music I struggle with than of newer times. I can listen to most of the better bands in the 2000's. Once it slides into progressive metal I tend to lose interest.

Vocals often make or break a band for me. Some bands may have pretty good music and melodies, but the vocals just ruin it. I've never gotten the hang of Hammill, which explains my struggle with VDGG. I like Opeth, but my interest in growling vocals somewhat ends there. I think there are a few others (Satyricon), but I can't think of them right now.
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:40
I've tried several times to appreciated Porcupine Tree. Impossible !
Boring, repetitive or too pop and clean... Less difficulty with metal period, but the main problem is no expressive vocals, soft and icy.
ProgLin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgLin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 14:42
Gentle Giant....
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 17:29
CAN
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>