Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:17
I will leave Tull, VDGG and GG for a while...I have other music to explore...Spocks beard? So.e of their stuff is very accessible on first listen...V has two epics which are superb...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:24
Magma
Dream Theater
Tool
Marillion
Pendragon
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Gazpacho
Cosmograf
Jadis
Soft Machine
Fates Warning
Saga

The list could go on and on. We all hear music differently. But that's awesome!!!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:29
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Magma
Dream Theater
Tool
Marillion
Pendragon
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Gazpacho
Cosmograf
Jadis
Soft Machine
Fates Warning
Saga

The list could go on and on. We all hear music differently. But that's awesome!!!

what's wrong with Fates Warning? Why can't you get into them?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:35
Not exactly a whole band, but there's so much rave about Tales from Topographic Oceans that I indeed gave it a lot of spins... still nothing doing...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:58
Believe it or not there aren't many examples I can think of off the top of my head. However, a recent example for me would be Coheed and Cambria. I just don't get it. They sound like every other emo/nu metal band out there.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 17 2019 at 10:59
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This topic comes up every year or so. I will say the same thing I always say: if you are listening to a band/artist to "try to get into them", you are doing it wrong.

Not sure I agree with this statement. Some bands I like right away, for others it takes a little while to warm up to them. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.

Ditto. I don't own anything after Clutching at Straws. I tried. I do like the title track of This Strange Engine, though.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:40
Most of all prog-metal bands, Marrilion, IQ, The Mars Volta, to name a few.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:50
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

The Mars Volta
Devin Townsend
Supertramp
and all the heavy metal groups where I do not hear prog like: Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.

Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't Prog
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:11
Gentle Giant: Octopus is the only album I like and even that I do not love.
King Crimson: Some tracks I like a lot but many others don't appeal to me at all.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:16
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 

I much prefer King Crimson influenced bands than King Crimson themselves.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:32
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 

I much prefer King Crimson influenced bands than King Crimson themselves.

I quite commonly prefer The Beatles influenced bands than The Beatles themselves (that's lot of bands to choose from).

I like Yes best when it sort of meets King Crimson.

I'm not big on Yes. I loved Fragile as a teenager, and I still like it but rarely return to it, and I enjoy Time and a Word as well as The Yes album. For an album, I've probably given Close to the Edge more "tries" than any other album I never got into. I like the title-track, but even that not altogether.

One certainly needn't enjoy Yes to enjoy this forum.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 13:57
Wilson/Porcupine Tree >> I stopped after Lightbulb, but only Sky Moves Sideways did something for me... during the 90's.

Saga - they were not really a hit in their hometown (Toronto) before hitting it big in Germany

Flower Kings - I tried hard to, but I totally gave up the first time I saw them live (on the Stardust tour, I think) when they couldn't playe Retropolis.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 15:13
Interesting topic.  I can appreciate the aesthetic of prog music.  I am primarily a jazz guy so prog definitely feeds that need.  But there were some bands who have been labeled prog and i just dont like them for one reason or another:
VDGG
IQ
Dream Theater (although I love Kevin Moore)
Spocks Beard (hate the voice on all these).

not a fan of Art Bears, but I love Henry Cow and Slap Happy.

Blasphemy as it is, I've never been a die hard beatles fan.  I will occasionally listen but never purposely play a beatles song.  Oddly enough a lot of my favorite things are born out of beatles fan-dom so maybe I'm nuts.

Prefer King crimson but only Larks tongues to three of a perfect pair.  Everything else is kinda crap to me although I am a total fan of Jakko Jakszyk and Adrian Belew.

This question/post has almost nearly driven me mad.  I think I could go on for days.  The beauty of Progressive Rock and music in general is the variety of flavors.  It is important to note, that taste evolves.  Who knows I may eventually fall in love with all the stuff above.  This is what makes life worth living and FUN.

Cheers! Cool

listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 17:46
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I will leave Tull, VDGG and GG for a while...I have other music to explore...Spocks beard? So.e of their stuff is very accessible on first listen...V has two epics which are superb...
Accessible probably. There was something I didn’t like right off the bat with the harmonies, especially with the vocals. It’s hard to draw the line between “not getting into” a band and just plain disliking them. It doesn’t quite seem the same to me. Maybe it works in combination with one’s level of familiarity or something.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 20:51
Well Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are on this site. There are a number of artists on this site that I do not consider to be Prog.
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:26
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

Well Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are on this site. There are a number of artists on this site that I do not consider to be Prog.

Well, Iron Maiden and Metallica are in "Prog Related", which is not thought of as a Prog category (although I would argue that Prog exists in the category, but Prog is to an extent in the ear of the behearer -- often depends on the specific associations we make with particular music). Anyway, such music is not my scene so I won't comment on the Prog quotient or Prog relatedness of any of those (even if I have read the arguments over the years). Except, I do know Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity" from its music video when it was new, and that certainly sounded very Pink Floyd related to me (as to how Prog Floyd is is also debatable).

Personally. I don't "try" to get into metal bands, or really any bands for many years, and my enjoyment is not predicated on how "Prog" something sounds to me. Most of the so-called Prog I like fits more under a Prog umbrella and a purist might consider outside of it.

Edited by Logan - October 17 2019 at 21:31
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:41
^ Maybe I need to hear more Queensryche but I don't really see how they are more progressive than Iron Maiden or Metallica. It seems to me the only reason they are considered prog metal and Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't is because of their use of keyboards. Metallica and Iron Maiden both seemed to have the technical elements of prog metal(time changes and instrumental sections) but without the window dressing(strings, keyboards etc). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:51
^ And here I thought Prog Metal equaled metal plus keyboards. ;)

There's some awesome to my ears early "heavy metal" with keyboards, but that's for another topic.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 22:11
Henry Cow, I've tried but feels like work to try to like it. Some of it didn't even really sound musical to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, I think. I love Gentle Giant, starting to love Van der Graaf Generator, been listening to a lot of King Crimson this past week, love Spock's Beard, LOVE Frank Zappa. But Henry Cow idk, I'll try again at some point though.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>