15 [40.54%]
10 [27.03%]
3 [8.11%]
9 [24.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four albums I love
    Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:26
This is a poll of four albums that just have in common that there's not much talk about them, and that I love them a lot. Also none of these bands is really big and we don't see them in polls too often for a change. They aren't super-obscure either so many here will know some if not all, but maybe somebody may discover something here. Samples:

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:05
I WAS going to say I've heard of three of those albums but never actually listened to them, but you've now solved that problem by helpfully posting YouTube videos for each album, so my vote goes to Novalis. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:08
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Nightingales and Bombers

Novalis is also great.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:38
4 great albums. East of Eden gets my vote.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:49
Mercator Projected gets my vote too.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 19:17
Thanks, Lewian! I knew none of these!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 20:34
Just judging by the samples, the first one sounded really good, I liked it. The second one sounded even better(but it sounded almost as if they weren't speaking American or something). The third one was cool I think it would be great to meditate to. And the fourth one was really good but almost seemed like there was too much going on or something. Anyway I really enjoyed all four! Right on. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 01:54
JJ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 02:23
Thank you for re-introducing me to the Symphonic Prog of Novalis. That's my kind of music. Thumbs Up
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 04:09
I've only heard the MMEB album, and I do love that. It's arguably their best album, certainly on a par with Solar Fire and Roaring Silence, but I've not heard the other three so won't vote.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 17:55
Wouldn't have thought Novalis could be winning this.
Anyway, these albums are all important to me. Nightingales & Bombers was the first album I bought myself (aged 13 or so) that I still have. And I still think it's a phantastic album. A super solid earthly transparent rock sound, but with lots of good ideas. All the instrumental performances are great, but no ego trips, all teamwork.

Novalis are local heroes in my home town Hamburg, I had chats with two of them and saw them numerous times live. My father had this album (and some other cool music, Aqualung, ELP, Deep Purple), but when I was old enough to be interested, he wasn't listening to that stuff anymore, he grew out of rock music pretty quickly. I particularly love the high musicality and taste about that album.

I wanted to add a more modern band and indeed this Jaga Jazzist album is very special to me. I saw them live on the tour for this album not knowing that much of them (and not yet the album itself), and they completely blew me away. I bought the album at the concert and it has a very warm close-to-live sound.

I bought the East of Eden album very cheaply on a flea market not really knowing what I was up for. One of my best random shots. It is full of magical melodies and ideas, very dreamy and unique. It came out about the same time as Court of the Crimson King, maybe even earlier. So these guys are true prog pioneers. 

Ultimately I will have to vote for Nightingales and Bombers, such a milestone in my music journey.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 02:24
Very good Jaga Jazzist album, a true gem of Prog.Jazz 
Also Mercator Projected such a cool and early prog classic
But there is no limits to what Hazy Davey, Killer Joe &  Crazy Janey can do to me
So MM it is.

Dont know Novalis

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 03:08
I've always considered Somewhere in Afrika to be the best  MMEB album. And by some way as well. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 06:13
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I've always considered Somewhere in Afrika to be the best  MMEB album. And by some way as well. 

They have many very good albums - Solar Fire - The Good Earth - Nightingales & Bombers - Roaring Silence - Watch - Angel Station (has some very good songs though a few stinkers as well) and then Somewhere in Africa again. For me N&B is clearly the strongest but all those just listed have been very enjoyable to me reliably through the years.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 06:23
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

Very good Jaga Jazzist album, a true gem of Prog.Jazz 
Also Mercator Projected such a cool and early prog classic
But there is no limits to what Hazy Davey, Killer Joe &  Crazy Janey can do to me
So MM it is.

Dont know Novalis

You aren't a secret Bruce Springsteen fan, are you? Wink
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 06:26
Mercator Projected is the only one I know, but I would've voted for it anyway. A fantastic album that no prog fan should miss.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 05:51
Novalis is my favorite from these. Their Banished Bridge and Sommerabend albums were also great listens. Vielleicht bist Du ein Clown? and Flossenengel  also have some good moments.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 18:05
Mercator Projected is one of my favorite albums.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 19:12
Novalis
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 19:35
Novalis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>