Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Progressive Rock Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Who's your all-time favourite classic Prog-Rock band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
9 [13.24%]
3 [4.41%]
2 [2.94%]
4 [5.88%]
2 [2.94%]
13 [19.12%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
5 [7.35%]
3 [4.41%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:30
Emerson, Lake and Palmer (not Emerson ,Leke and Palmer lol)

Not the best band and they fell off the end of a cliff somewhat post 1973 , but they were only 3 guys and one of those offered very little creative input and Mr 'Leke' was not exactly prolific either) . Keith Emerson is something of a god to me. But for seeing a brief film of him throwing an organ around a stage when I was about 14 I just would never have got into prog at all. Genesis and Yes bored the pants off me at the time. It was a long time before I was able to gain a wider appreciation of the genre and accept that ELP were not the best but they always occupy a very important place in my affections. I still remember exactly where I was when I heard Keith had passed on. RIP

Edited by richardh - October 21 2019 at 00:31
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 01:00
Thanks for pointing out the typo error in "Emerson, Leke & Palmer". I'd completely missed it. Embarrassed
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 09:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Difficult choice. I like 3 of Pink Floyd's albums and 3 Yes albums, but don't care much for the rest of those bands' catalogues. I love Wishbone Ash but I don't think they're particularly prog. Argus I would argue is a prog album, and Handy, Phoenix and The Pilgrim from the first two albums are progressive songs, but the rest of their catalogue is more classic rock.

So I voted for Camel because I really like all 6 of the Peter Bardens era albums.

Dark side of the moon, wish you were here and animals.

The Yes album, fragile and close to the edge.

How did I do? Tongue
  Two out of three for each. The Wall (not Animals) and Going for the One (not Fragile).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 19:29
Another vote for Yes. I know Yes has beat the other bands  in the past(including King Crimson)but apparently not this time. Oh well. They have always been my favorite band(with Rush a close second) if I had to choose. So there it is. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 19:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (not Emerson ,Leke and Palmer lol)

Not the best band and they fell off the end of a cliff somewhat post 1973 , but they were only 3 guys and one of those offered very little creative input and Mr 'Leke' was not exactly prolific either) . Keith Emerson is something of a god to me. But for seeing a brief film of him throwing an organ around a stage when I was about 14 I just would never have got into prog at all. Genesis and Yes bored the pants off me at the time. It was a long time before I was able to gain a wider appreciation of the genre and accept that ELP were not the best but they always occupy a very important place in my affections. I still remember exactly where I was when I heard Keith had passed on. RIP

That would be a good name for an ELP tribute band. "Hello everyone, we're ELP an ELP tribute band.. Emerson, Leke and Palmer."
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the typo error in "Emerson, Leke & Palmer". I'd completely missed it. Embarrassed

thanks for fixing it although they would probably have had loads more votes if it had been done sooner Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 01:02

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

thanks for fixing it although they would probably have had loads more votes if it had been done sooner Wink

Yeah, PA members might have assumed "Emerson, Leke & Palmer" were an ELP tribute band. LOL
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:16
 Always a toss up with me between Yes & Rush. Went with Rush this time. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:29
Yes is the correct answer!!!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 09:40
hmm too hard for me to vote

It could be any of Camel, Renaissance, BJH, Eloy and the Moody Blues

Excellent list by Digital Dream door though.  I love that it isn't totally Anglo Centered.  They need to fix the spelling of Barclay James Harvest because I almost thought they were unfairly left off. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 12:44
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

hmm too hard for me to vote

It could be any of Camel, Renaissance, BJH, Eloy and the Moody Blues

Excellent list by Digital Dream door though.  I love that it isn't totally Anglo Centered.  They need to fix the spelling of Barclay James Harvest because I almost thought they were unfairly left off. 

Oh yeah, Baryclay. Lol. Anyway, notice which band is number one on their list. Hint it's not King Crimson(although they are number two). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 12:59
It's nice to see FM on the digital door list and it's high time they got booted up from prog related to a full prog sub genre, probably crossover

Edited by kenethlevine - October 22 2019 at 12:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 13:38
^ They are still prog related on here though. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 13:50

^ They are still prog related on here though. 

yes I meant it's time they got recognized as full prog here.  It's inconceivable that they be prog related given they had two full fledged prog albums in the 1970s and plenty of prog on two subsequent albums as wqell as their 2014 reunion album
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 15:03
Gentle Giant.
Over Yes, KC, Genesis and PF.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 21:35

Another vote for Yes. I know Yes has beat the other bands  in the past(including King Crimson)but apparently not this time. Oh well. They have always been my favorite band(with Rush a close second) if I had to choose. So there it is. 

I think part of it on this poll(I could be wrong) is Yes and Genesis splitting votes with each other. They seem to have a lot of the same fans on here. King Crimson does too obviously, but especially Yes and Genesis.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I think part of it on this poll(I could be wrong) is Yes and Genesis splitting votes with each other. They seem to have a lot of the same fans on here. King Crimson does too obviously, but especially Yes and Genesis.

Good point. KC are seen as more 'cutting edge' so the cool dudes vote for them. The rest of us vote for bands that are actually enjoyable to listen to Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:54

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Good point. KC are seen as more 'cutting edge' so the cool dudes vote for them. The rest of us vote for bands that are actually enjoyable to listen to Tongue

Haha! I couldn't agree more. Tongue Apart from King Crimson's classic first album, I generally haven't found them enjoyable to listen to.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 05:08
Pink Floyd for me, always. Then next would be a mixture of Can, Caravan, Focus, VDGG, and perhaps Gong and Hawkwind behind them
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 06:15
I like a lot of bands on that list but Rush is my favorite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>