Poll Question: Which is your favorite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [65.12%]
15 [34.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 20:01
^ Thanks. I don't have any album that I play weekly, although if I'm using an album for my meditation then it gets played daily for a while(the last few days it's been Western Culture by Henry Cow).
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 02:37
Another vote for Wobbler. If it was any previous SW album I would have chosen it.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 03:54
I have heard both of these once... I haven't yet decided that I need any of them, but if anything I see myself buying Wilson's first.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 15:05
The best of Wobbler against the worst of Steven Wilson: this is not really a fair poll. Unhappy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 15:21
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

The best of Wobbler against the worst of Steven Wilson: this is not really a fair poll. Unhappy

To the bone is BY FAR his worst. Just awful.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 15:55
A no-brainer. Wobbler. This is a masterpiece matched against a decent album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 22:14
Between these, I guess Wobbler. But if the match had been agains The Raven that Refused to Sing, it would be another story.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 11:37
Wobbler by far!
From Silence to Somewhere is better than anything SW ever did.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 08:19
Both are really good but that Wobbler is GREAT!!!
rooteen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooteen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 19:52
This is no contest. Hand. Cannot. Erase. takes the cake, and dramatically at that.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. is, in my opinion, one of the two best albums of all time (the other being Metropolis Pt. 2 by Dream Theater). The concept gets me rather emotional (something that isn't very common for me), but more importantly, I find this to be the perfect balance of ambience and virtuosity, simplicity and complexity. This albums perfect segues from one track to another, with no filler, no bulls***, and 66 minutes of baller music.

FSTS is great. It's definitely one of the best albums to be released in a while. But it pales in comparison to HCE.

One reason that HCE may be doing so poorly in this poll is the fact that most of the people voting are fans primarily of classic prog, the early 70s stuff. That's where I started, but opening my mind up to modern prog was the best thing I've ever done for my music tastes. Artists who are still truly progressive today (Steven Wilson, Thank You Scientist, Phideaux, Opeth, etc.) are still pushing music's boundaries today. There is no other album that sounds anything like HCE (which is a sad thing for me), combining pop, rock, jazz, psychedelia, and ambience in the same way.

FSTS is a great album, but it's nowhere near as revolutionary HCE was (and still is).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:04
Originally posted by rooteen rooteen wrote:

This is no contest. Hand. Cannot. Erase. takes the cake, and dramatically at that.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. is, in my opinion, one of the two best albums of all time (the other being Metropolis Pt. 2 by Dream Theater). The concept gets me rather emotional (something that isn't very common for me), but more importantly, I find this to be the perfect balance of ambience and virtuosity, simplicity and complexity. This albums perfect segues from one track to another, with no filler, no bulls***, and 66 minutes of baller music.

FSTS is great. It's definitely one of the best albums to be released in a while. But it pales in comparison to HCE.

One reason that HCE may be doing so poorly in this poll is the fact that most of the people voting are fans primarily of classic prog, the early 70s stuff. That's where I started, but opening my mind up to modern prog was the best thing I've ever done for my music tastes. Artists who are still truly progressive today (Steven Wilson, Thank You Scientist, Phideaux, Opeth, etc.) are still pushing music's boundaries today. There is no other album that sounds anything like HCE (which is a sad thing for me), combining pop, rock, jazz, psychedelia, and ambience in the same way.

FSTS is a great album, but it's nowhere near as revolutionary HCE was (and still is).

Great write up, though I prefer FSTS, I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. We’re dealing with two albums I consider perfect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by rooteen rooteen wrote:

One reason that HCE may be doing so poorly in this poll is the fact that most of the people voting are fans primarily of classic prog, the early 70s stuff. 

I would have voted for any of the first SW albums over anything that Wobbler have done. I do like my classic prog bit I feel that HCE was a slight move to a more 'commercial' style so admittedly my prog snobbery kicks in a little at this point. However I do like the album a lot and its only a notch under the first 3 in my estimation. 
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 16:47
Well, cool, another chance to break with the majority:

I got FSTS, as it was getting really good reviews here on PA. I have listened, I think, three or four times.  If it is such a great album, its "greatness" hasn't grabbed me--at least, not yet. I hear a fairly decent album.  I'm still giving it its chance; it could be like several other albums that have grown on me the more I've listened.

H.C.E. to me is a gem of an album. Half the songs grabbed me right away, and the others have grown on me to the point of considering this one of my faves.

So, maybe its just that I've heard H.C.E. more, but it gets my vote.
Z
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 07:59
From Silence to Somewhere - Wobbler
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 10:19
It looks like these two releases have the least amount of votes in your top 10 poll.

Went with SW but The Raven is a better album then Hand.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 10 2019 at 10:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 10:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

It looks like these two releases have the least amount of votes in your top 10 poll.

Went with SW but The Raven is a better album then Hand.

That’s no surprise to me, as obviously the classics among the list will always be more popular here on PA (which is alright!)

While I don’t agree raven is better, it’s a valid opinion that I can understand for sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

That’s no surprise to me, as obviously the classics among the list will always be more popular here on PA (which is alright!)

This is not right and is a major frustration with this website. It seems most people here do not even try listening to current music. They are living in the past, forever. I can't listen to the same music over and over, anymore than I could read the same book, watch the same movie, or eat at the same restaurant over and over. But most people here have no problem with it. It irritates me. Thanks for letting me vent on your post.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 13:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This is not right and is a major frustration with this website. It seems most people here do not even try listening to current music. They are living in the past, forever. I can't listen to the same music over and over, anymore than I could read the same book, watch the same movie, or eat at the same restaurant over and over. But most people here have no problem with it. It irritates me. Thanks for letting me vent on your post.

I think a problem is people some don’t want to like modern prog. It’s upsetting we will likely never see a prog album after 1990 cross into the top 10 just because of what time the album came out.

I know you don’t agree, but I would choose either of these with ease before any of our top 3 albums. Just because something isn’t as groundbreaking as close to the edge or court of the crimson king, doesn’t mean it cant reach the same highs.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 10 2019 at 13:33
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 14:47
In my opinion HCE is superior compared to FSTS. I actually just listened former one and it still does not impress me as a full piece. There are a lot of great parts. For example, "Fermented hours" keyboards at 2.20. "Rendered..." is one of the best "fillers" at any album. "Foxlight" intro is straight Genesis in a good way. By any means it's not a bad album but for me it's missing the spark.

On the other hand, HCE is a full package. Emotional, epic and rather melancholic. It's the best album from the master mixer himself.

I agree that people live in the past on this site. I love 70's and it will always be my favourite era when it comes to music. Sometimes I just listen all King Crimson albums from ITCOTCK to Discipline in a row and feel mesmerized. I think people can have that possibility also in the modern music if they just cut the negative preconception out. Enjoy the great music my friends :)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 15:00
So how can we get those stuck in the past to try new things?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>