Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree: The Great Debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which music genre best describes Porcupine Tree?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.89%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [61.11%]
4 [11.11%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree: The Great Debate
    Posted: October 24 2019 at 09:01
Psychedelic Heavy Rock.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 16:27
^Oh I see. Well, like every other prog or band in general they aren't always going to be everyone's cup of tea. I personally think it's an excellent album and one of the best prog albums from the 90's for sure but that's ultimately just my opinion just like when someone says any album is one of the best. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 14:54
No, I haven't heard the "Jurassic Shift" album. I've never listened to any of Ozric Tentacles albums all the way through. I'm more of a Hawkwind fan when it comes to Space Rock. Smile
The "Spirit of the Age" video below features TV presenter and Hawkwind fan Matthew Wright on vocals.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 23 2019 at 14:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 14:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

A band that I personally think would be more interesting to analyze would be Ozric Tentacles because their sound didn't change as much as PT's did but have different sounds(and styles) on the same track or album. 
I've always considered Ozric Tentacles to be a Space Rock band.

Have you ever heard Jurassic Shift? That one has elements of prog, psych and fusion. There's even a little bit of a grunge element on there. The others I have heard were similar. Apparently some stuff even has some techno and electronica elements too but I'm admittedly only familiar with a small subset of their catalog. Nonetheless I feel they are more than just a space rock band but I don't deny they have that element as well. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 13:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

A band that I personally think would be more interesting to analyze would be Ozric Tentacles because their sound didn't change as much as PT's did but have different sounds(and styles) on the same track or album. 
I've always considered Ozric Tentacles to be a Space Rock band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

'progressive alternative';
Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Gazpacho, Radiohead, Muse, Riverside, Leprous, Alice in Chains

What about Airbag and The Pineapple Thief? Also, I like AIC a lot but never really considered them to be part of progressive music. Also, Muse not Muze. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 23 2019 at 11:51
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 11:11
'progressive alternative';
Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Gazpacho, Radiohead, Muze, Riverside, Leprous, Alice in Chains

I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 09:37

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 23 2019 at 10:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I think you could actually list a lot of bands in the 'progressive alternative' crossover that now fall between genres. Lots of progressive metal, heavy prog and crossover prog.

I'd probably need another poll to determine which bands fall within the Progressive Alternative' Crossover genre. Wink
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 08:48
I think you could actually list a lot of bands in the 'progressive alternative' crossover that now fall between genres. Lots of progressive metal, heavy prog and crossover prog.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 03:59
PT ran the gauntlet from space/psychedelic to a combination of heavy prog and post prog (Radiohead inspired prog.) Take your pick, there's no wrong answer.

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2019 at 05:59
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 03:50
No band that can clearly an comfortably be assigned to a single genre deserves to be called "progressive" - unless they started that genre...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 14:36
I think the ProgArchives system of assigning just one genre to an artist is ideal as it stands anyway. It's less complicated and far more practical than the multi-genre designations they use for each artist on AllMusic.com.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 14:20

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ PT is the definitive reason PA needs a multi-tag system where every album can be labeled accordingly. May it be so some distant day

That sounds like an excellent idea but it would require an enormous amount of work to categorise each album by genre individually, considering the HUGE size of the ProgArchives database.

Thatwillneverhappen.com/forgetit  
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Here's some "Post Rock" for you from Porcupine Tree's "Voyager 34" album. Wink

it's psychedelic/space rock, very floydian. Big smile (Again, not post-rock...)
I know. That's why I put "Post Rock" in inverted commas. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 13:32

it's psychedelic/space rock, very floydian. Big smile (Again, not post-rock...)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 13:18
Not really sure where I would put PT. I can make a case for a few different sub genres as I think you can for many prog bands. I also find some of the sub genres on the site to be a little subjective or even down right confusing. Many make sense, Jazz fusion, Folk Prog, Symphonic prog, prog metal are pretty self explanatory. Others are a little less clear. The difference between avent & eclectic prog for example. Seems like there are a lot of similarities between those two. Prog related & crossover prog is another one that seems somewhat subjective.  ( side note , Trains by PT playing in the background as I type this,  Sounds like ???- prog! ) Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 12:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

In the future, when you wanna make a poll, if you think some users may come up with something different, make the last option simply say "other".

Thanks for the tip about including "Other" as an option. I'll bear that in mind for future polls. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2019 at 12:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 10:45
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Is Yes- Close to the Edge = 90125?
Genesis- Selling England = Invisible Touch?
King Crimson- In the Court = Beat?
Ambrosia- debut = One Eighty?
Be-Bop Deluxe- Modern Music = Drastic Plastic?
Queen- Queen II = Hot Space?
Utopia- TR's Utopia = Deface the Music?
Rush- debut = Signals?
Japan- Adolescent Sex = Tin Drum?
Sometimes they do not even sound like the same band.
Right you are so let's put them in the Alternative Rock/Indie Rock/Art Rock/Experimental Rock/Heavy Prog/Neo-Prog/Post-Progressive/Progressive Metal/Psychedelic Rock/Space Rock genre. Wink (Now that really is silly, isn't?)

Edited by SteveG - October 21 2019 at 10:48
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 09:50
Is Yes- Close to the Edge = 90125?
Genesis- Selling England = Invisible Touch?
King Crimson- In the Court = Beat?
Ambrosia- debut = One Eighty?
Be-Bop Deluxe- Modern Music = Drastic Plastic?
Queen- Queen II = Hot Space?
Utopia- TR's Utopia = Deface the Music?
Rush- debut = Signals?
Japan- Adolescent Sex = Tin Drum?
Sometimes they do not even sound like the same band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>