Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree: The Great Debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which music genre best describes Porcupine Tree?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.89%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [61.11%]
4 [11.11%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree: The Great Debate
    Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:55
There's been a lot of healthy debate recently about Porcupine Tree and music genres generally. This is what it says about Porcupine Tree on ProgArchives:-

"Porcupine Tree are incredibly hard to describe because their music doesn't fit into any one genre. I like the description on the back of the album "Signify" (one of my all time favorites). It says "Porcupine Tree have managed to defy genres and blend together numerous ambient, rock and avant-garde styles to create a musical landscape that is both refreshing and compulsively seductive".

Porcupine Tree have been described as all of those genres listed in the poll on various websites, so if you had to choose just one genre from the above list which best describes Porcupine Tree's diverse musical range as a whole, which genre would you choose? 

I'm going for Heavy Prog as a whole, although I think there are elements of all eight of those listed genres in Porcupine Tree's  dynamic, ever-changing musical landscape. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2019 at 08:17
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 16:01
Neo-prog! No, in actuality I have no idea. But it's good that we're finally gonna get to the bottom of this. Right on OP.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 16:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Neo-prog! No, in actuality I have no idea. But it's good that we're finally gonna get to the bottom of this. Right on OP.

I'm guessing Heavy Prog will win the poll, mainly because that's what Porcupine Tree are labelled as on ProgArchives, although strangely, I was tempted to vote Neo-Prog. Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 16:32
No one tag covers PT because the style changed from the beginning to the end but according to RYM these tags all apply and personally i agree. Neo-prog is not one of them.

As secondary tags you can also add

Progressive metal, art rock, pop rock, dream pop

All because various songs are different than the main style of the album

Overall for this site, heavy prog fits best

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 16:52
I've just twinned Psychedelic Rock with Space Rock in the poll, which is the same way those two genres are listed on ProgArchives, because it's not always easy to tell the difference between the two similar genres. Smile
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 18:24
Couldn't care less.

In French: on s'en calisse.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 18:50
As the Silly Pup said, Heavy Prog fits best.  If we were to break up the PT career in sections, it would be Psychedelic/Space Rock from "On the Sunday of Life" up through "The Sky Moves Sideways" (including all of the subsidiary albums like Voyage 34 and Moonloop), Heavy Prog from "Signify" to "Lightbulb Sun", Progressive Metal from "In Absentia" through "Fear of a Blank Planet", and finally back to Heavy Prog for "The Incident".  That seems to fit it pretty well.  Overall, Heavy Prog.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 20:24
If there was ever a modern prog band that the term false dichotomy applied to it might be PT. 

Needless to say it depends on which era of the band since they had different styles in different parts of their career. The earlier stuff was psychedelic, the middle period was more alternative and the later was more in a heavier prog direction. I guess I'll choose heavy prog. They were never a true prog metal band though.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 21:45
The last option 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 21:50
The genre of PT should be Progressiv rock 
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 22:36
Hard to define, since they had quite a few different facets. I'll go for option number 1, but is not easy to define which category fits them best.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:19
They were never really Progressive Metal although SW himself did at one time post a few messages on the site and admitted they got very close to it on Deadwing but still not all the way. I would love to see him post a response to those who think that PT were Neo Prog. Knowing his well documented objections to that movement it would be hilarious I expect!
I went for Heavy Prog although they have moved through at least 2 other genres early days - Psychedelic Rock/Space Rock and in between that and Heavy Prog I would go for the more vague Alternative Rock/Indie Rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

They were never really Progressive Metal although SW himself did at one time post a few messages on the site and admitted they got very close to it on Deadwing but still not all the way. I would love to see him post a response to those who think that PT were Neo Prog. Knowing his well documented objections to that movement it would be hilarious I expect!
I went for Heavy Prog although they have moved through at least 2 other genres early days - Psychedelic Rock/Space Rock and in between that and Heavy Prog I would go for the more vague Alternative Rock/Indie Rock
I also heard the same thing about Steven Wilson not wanting his band to be labelled as Neo-Prog, which is perfectly understandable when you consider they're a multi-genre band with a diverse range of musical styles which constantly changes from album to album. I could probably pick a Porcupine Tree album to closely match each of those very different eight genres listed above. For instance, I'd consider two of their more recent albums, "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" to be Progressive Metal, compared to some of their earliest albums which could be described as Post Rock or Psychedelic/Space Rock. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:55
They sit somewhere between Art Rock and Heavy Prog IMO. Heavy prog is probably sufficient.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 01:42
Boring-ass, overrated, uninspiring HEAVY PROG.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 02:02
all good, except neo-prog and post-rock.
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 02:51
Went for Psychedelic Rock/Space Rock as that was very clearly their sound from the debut to Signify (4 albums plus V34). Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are more crossover-prog, but I always get a more psychedelic sound than heavy prog or prog metal. The next three albums are clear-cut heavy prog, but The Incident has a lot of call-backs to their older sound (Time flies, Flicker, I drive the hearse etc.) along with heavy prog.

Overall, when I add it all up in my head they are more Psychedelic than Heavy Prog, but it all comes down to how you interprit Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and The Incident.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 05:35
I remember when they were once filed under Psychedelic/Space Rock on ProgArchives.

Here's a snapshot of their PA page back in 2007:

Their transition to a heavier sound started with Signify, but it was a slow transition that led to In Absentia, partly inspired by Wilson's working with Opeth at the time. They still maintained the psych/space feel during this transition. It seemed to me more of a blend of the two subgenres. When I first discovered them in the late 1990s, they were often described as "making the music Pink Floyd should have been making in the 90s."

Although I voted Heavy Prog in this poll, it wasn't necessarily an easy decision.

I have no comment on why this is considered a "great debate." The poll results should show that this isn't the case.

Edited by progaardvark - October 21 2019 at 05:37
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 05:54
^ PT is the definitive reason PA needs a multi-tag system where every album can be labeled accordingly. May it be so some distant day

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 06:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ PT is the definitive reason PA needs a multi-tag system where every album can be labeled accordingly. May it be so some distant day

That sounds like an excellent idea but it would require an enormous amount of work to categorise each album by genre individually, considering the HUGE size of the ProgArchives database.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>