Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Queen Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Queen album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.67%]
34 [31.19%]
19 [17.43%]
32 [29.36%]
2 [1.83%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
3 [2.75%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.92%]
4 [3.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 11:25
I'd be curious to hear from the folks to voted for Hot Space.  Please enlighten me.  Was it the single Under Pressure that swayed your vote?   Did the immediacy of the disco energy convince you?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 11:44
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'd be curious to hear from the folks to voted for Hot Space.  Please enlighten me.  Was it the single Under Pressure that swayed your vote?   Did the immediacy of the disco energy convince you?

I like Disco too and I like the single "Under Pressure", but I couldn't possibly consider "Hot Space" to be a better Queen album than the classics, "Queen II" and "A Night at the Opera. Although "Hot Space" is certainly a listenable album, it would be at the bottom of my favourites list if I ranked all of the Queen albums in order. Smile
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 12:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I didn't include the Paul Rodgers albums in the poll, because as far as I'm aware, Queen haven't recorded any studio albums with Paul Rodgers. The only Paul Rodgers & Queen albums I know of are the Live albums. Smile

Queen II.

Also, Queen did record a studio album with Paul Rodgers:

Edited by Morningrise - October 30 2019 at 12:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 13:01
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I didn't include the Paul Rodgers albums in the poll, because as far as I'm aware, Queen haven't recorded any studio albums with Paul Rodgers. The only Paul Rodgers & Queen albums I know of are the Live albums. Smile

Queen II.

Also, Queen did record a studio album with Paul Rodgers:

Thanks! That's the first time I've come across that album. It has to be worth a listen, bearing in mind just how good the Live "Return of the Champions" DVD is with Queen + Paul Rodgers. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 30 2019 at 13:02
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 13:14
A Night at the Opera
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 14:55
I never caught the Queen bug. My friends in school were all into them (and Kiss...yes, I'm old) but I was all about Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd back then.  

Still am.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:17
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I never caught the Queen bug. My friends in school were all into them (and Kiss...yes, I'm old) but I was all about Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd back then.  

Still am.
The only band I couldn't get into out of the five bands you mentioned were ELP. They'd lost me after the first album. It was the "Seven Seas of Rhye" that really got me hooked onto Queen.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 30 2019 at 15:18
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:46
Queen II, closely followed by Hot Space. (yes really)

least favourites are The Cosmos Rocks and Jazz

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 16:07
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Queen II, closely followed by Hot Space. (yes really)

least favourites are The Cosmos Rocks and Jazz

Well, at least you confessed to liking Queen's "Hot Space" album. The two PA members who voted for it apparently prefer to remain anonymous. Tongue
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 16:30
A Nithe at the Opera > Queen II > Innuendo
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 17:23
I am tempted to say A Night at the Opera, because it really is the culmination of all the great and interesting things Queen did leading up to that album, and they would never reach that height again. Death on Two Legs, '39, Bohemian Rhapsody, Good Company -- just brilliant. But sentimentally speaking, I'll have to go with the off-kilter and completely spastic Queen II, which is the album that I first fell in love with. Just on the strength of Ogre Battle and March of the Black Queen, there is a level of crazy there that really no other band comes close to.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 17:27
Skip the first few tracks and Hot Space actually isn't that bad as collected musical knowledge dictates.
A Kind Of Magic, a few singles aside was the weakest album for me until The Cosmos- Well you'll find out when you get to listen to it.
Although the film still gets shown on UK television, Flash is an amazing soundtrack album.
It dwarfs even Pink Floyd's two soundtrack albums! Maybe that's why I'm so down on A Kind Of Magic? It just doesn't seem as cinematic as the Flash soundtrack. Or anywhere near as fun!

EDIT: And I find The Works to be Queen's most underrated album. People only remember the massive singles instead of "Keep Passing The Open Windows".

Edited by AZF - October 30 2019 at 17:32
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 18:50
Well, for me is Queen II clear choice. Amazing album. Queen at their best (and this one could be called progressive album for sure!). In fact I love it for sooo long... and it remains as good as I've heard it 35 years before. Procession (great Brian May guitars orchestration), Father To Son or charming White Queen are on the white side of the LP and they all are superb, but when starts black side, then it's the real proper ride - from Ogre Battle to 2,5 minutes long progressive music heaven of The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke, the short beautiful rest with Nevermore and at last the best song Queen ever did - The March Of The Black Queen. Funny How Love is there only to calm down before final Seven Seas Of Rhye (probably the first Queen big success).

Yes, I know  A Night At The Opera is their opus magnum (and yeah, it's really good), but for me Queen's peak is on Queen II. BTW even as I like Queen's 70's records the most, I have nothing against poor little Hot Space. In fact it was almost pure disco, but they could do it with success too. And as the years go by it is maybe even better it was in 1982. Comparing to some so called music done today I'm tempted to say it shines brightly :-)

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 18:55
II
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 19:13
Sheer Heart Attack has always been my personal Queen favorite.  My second favorite is News of the World.  It's kind of sad to see NotW hasn't got any votes, but the reason I prefer those two is that I think they are the albums with the most variety on them, and that is always why I loved Queen's music so much, that is up to and including Jazz, and to a lesser extent, The Game.  After that, I lost interest because there was less variety on the albums.  That might seem like a strange reason to love a band, because they can write in so many different styles, and some people think that makes an album lose cohesiveness, but I was always amazed at Queen's ability to move so easily from one style to another.

Edited by TCat - October 30 2019 at 19:14

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 20:20
Queen used to be one of my absolute favorite bands, I guess they still are. Sheer Heart Attack is really good, so is News of the World. Very eclectic and just good albums. Voted for The Game though... Such a monster album in the early 80's and what got me into the band to start with.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 00:05
For me it is between Night at the Opera, and Innuendo.  I went with NatO 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 01:04
Sheer Heart Attack although Innuendo deserves a special mention and was a brilliant last 'Hurrah' for Freddie. Queen II is vastly overrated although I do love Seven Seas Of Rye.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 01:43
Sheer Heart Attack (1974) and Jazz 1978
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 03:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sheer Heart Attack although Innuendo deserves a special mention and was a brilliant last 'Hurrah' for Freddie. Queen II is vastly overrated although I do love Seven Seas Of Rye.

Queen II overrated!!? Each to his own, I guess. If I had to pick one Queen album that was slightly overrated I would say Night at the Opera (but not by much!) and one underrated album would be News of the World.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>