Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Queen Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Queen album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.67%]
34 [31.19%]
19 [17.43%]
32 [29.36%]
2 [1.83%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
3 [2.75%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.92%]
4 [3.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 21:40
Here's how you lose a multi-million dollar copyright lawsuit:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 11:36
Queen's third and fourth albums...

Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

A Night at the Opera (1975)

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 15:59
I find it interesting no one has voted for ADATR. I have to assume fans of that record generally concede that as great as ADATR is, ANATO does everything ADATR does and mostly does it better.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 19:30
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Queen II. Brilliant album.

^This

Aye.  I would have seen this tour, but Brian May became ill with hepatitis and had to drop out.  Kansas substituted instead (they opened for Mott the Hoople in Chicago).  

I like Kansas and they were excellent, but to have seen Queen on this tour....gawd!  I did see them on "Night at the Opera" and a subsequent tour, but Queen II is their masterpiece IMHO.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Queen II. Brilliant album.

^This

Aye.  I would have seen this tour, but Brian May became ill with hepatitis and had to drop out.  Kansas substituted instead (they opened for Mott the Hoople in Chicago).  

I like Kansas and they were excellent, but to have seen Queen on this tour....gawd!  I did see them on "Night at the Opera" and a subsequent tour, but Queen II is their masterpiece IMHO.  

At least because Brian got sick SHA managed to come out the same year. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 01:26
Queen's fifth and sixth albums....

A Day at the Races (1976)

News of the World (1977)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 30 2020 at 02:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 13:19
Queen's seventh and eighth albums....

Jazz (1978)

The Game (1980)

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:37
Sheer Heart Attack: A really great album. It is much more diverse than Queen and Queen II, and it spands from radio friendly pop/rock ("Killer Queen", "Now I'm Here", "Misfire"), over hard rock ("Brighton Rock" and "Stone Cold Crazy"), dixieland ("Bring Back That Leroy Brown"), ballads ("Dear Friends") to prog, or prog-like rock (the suite of "Tenement Funster", "Flick of the Wrist" and "Lily of the Valley", "In the Lap of the Gods", "She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stilettos)" and "In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited"). It is also the album where the classic Queen sound truely falls into place. At the same time the compositions seem much more mature than those on the first two albums. It is not as accomplished as A Night at the Opera though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:13
I'd love to have included the first two Queen albums on this thread too, but they're not currently available on YouTube. I found these two albums though....

Flash Gordon (1980)

Hot Space (1982)

I'm not keen on either of these two Queen albums, but I've included them here anyway for the sake of completion. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 05:56
The next two Queen albums in sequence....

The Works (1984)

A Kind of Magic (1986)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:43
The Miracle (1989)

Innuendo (1991)

Just one more album to go now to complete the Queen albums discography

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 16 2020 at 11:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 06:17
This is the final Queen album - with a fitting title - put together four years after Freddie Mercury's untimely death, which completes the Queen discography. Well, almost - apart from the first  two missing Queen albums, which aren't currently available on YouTube.

Made in Heaven (1995)

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 13:33
Not heard them all (as a matter of fact only five first), but hard to believe any of their after Day At the Races were better than a Night at the Opera.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 04:24
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Not heard them all (as a matter of fact only five first), but hard to believe any of their after Day At the Races were better than a Night at the Opera.

You're right. There's only three 5-star Queen albums for me:- Queen II; Sheer Heart Attack; & A Night at the Opera.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 20:00
Queen II is in my top 3 albums ever (at least regarding pop/rock) with Dark Side of the Moon and Close to the Edge.

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I find it interesting no one has voted for ADATR. I have to assume fans of that record generally concede that as great as ADATR is, ANATO does everything ADATR does and mostly does it better.

ADATR is vastly underrated (though there's also a lot of people who consider it a classic, so who knows). I think it's below Queen II but virtually at the same level as ANATO, I think if it had been released first instead of second from those two maybe they would be regarded differently.

The Millionaire Waltz, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, Somebody to Love, Teo Torriate, You Take My Breath way, You and I, etc. I Really love that album.

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 22:10
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Queen II is in my top 3 albums ever (at least regarding pop/rock) with Dark Side of the Moon and Close to the Edge.

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

ADATR is vastly underrated (though there's also a lot of people who consider it a classic, so who knows). I think it's below Queen II but virtually at the same level as ANATO, I think if it had been released first instead of second from those two maybe they would be regarded differently.

The Millionaire Waltz, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, Somebody to Love, Teo Torriate, You Take My Breath way, You and I, etc. I Really love that album.

I love it too. I finally found it on vinyl the other week and at last my 70s studio album collection is complete. I think the biggest difference between the two is maybe that A Day At The Races is decidedly more love-obsessed. Seriously, like nearly every song on it is a love song (or a sex song in regards to Tie Your Mother Down). I wonder if maybe it gets dismissed by some fans for that reason.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 12:05
Hi,

I would rather have that VH-1 special on Queen, that showed the last song Freddy played and sang, apparently just weeks before he passed away ... it beats any album hands down!

A nice band, and we had the first couple of albums, but when it came to the 10CC cover, I didn't dislike it, but by then my interest was all over Europe and not as much in English or American bands, most of which were already re-hashing their material. QUEEN were a fine band, and even better in concert ... and reminds me of that one concert where George Michael sang on a tribute to Freddy I think it was ... and he was magnificent and probably should have been the only possible replacement for Freddy, but I'm not sure that GM was up to someone else's legacy! He already had his own to deal with!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 12:22
^ I totally agree. George Michael did a fine job of stepping into Freddie Mercury's shoes for the Queen tribute concert. Thumbs Up

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:22
I get off the Queen train pretty early on - the first two albums are proto-proggy heavy, then a bit of refinement on the third, then their early sound solidified on Opera, but Day at the Races was a clone, then they lost that proggy rock edge and.....blah.  The pop hits were campy fun but nothing more - Queen's first four, then a spin of Jazz or News in the car once every few years, maybe a few tracks from the 90s surprise Innuendo.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Paulo V View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paulo V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 10:40
QUEEN II is by far a winner!Great Album!
Always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>