Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Arena Rock Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Who's Your Favourite Arena Rock Band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.67%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
5 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [17.78%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [26.67%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:31
I voted for Styx. I don't really consider Rush to be arena rock and Kansas only has one foot in that door. Styx are the closest that also have prog elements imo.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I voted for Styx. I don't really consider Rush to be arena rock and Kansas only has one foot in that door. Styx are the closest that also have prog elements imo.

I don't think of Rush as being an Arena Rock band either. I only included Rush in the poll following TwoSteves suggestion. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Boston!
For some reason, I thought you were going to suggest I include Frank Zappa in the poll. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 31 2019 at 09:20
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't think of Rush as being an Arena Rock band either. I only included Rush in the poll following TwoSteves suggestion. Smile

I don't really having a problem with them being there but they aren't the first band to come to mind when I think arena rock. Technically arena rock could be any band that can fill up an arena. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:04
Since Rush is on the list, and since they are my favorite band on the list, they get my vote. 

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:12

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Boston! Frank Zappa!

For some reason, I thought you were going to suggest I include Frank Zappa in the poll. Wink

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:26
in a docu i saw about Arena rock, the Police, Dire Straits, U2 and AC/DC were mentioned as band. If played anywere on the plannet, will fill stadiums. Toto, are in some extent not arena rock as they strugle to fill stadiums in US but in europe and pther parts of the world they sell out arenas. the Police, ad/dc, Guns & Roses, the Killers, U2 sell out arenas wethers its US/North- America, Asia, Africa, Oceania or Europe

Edited by Icarium - October 31 2019 at 10:28
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:45
Voted for Rush , but I grew up on this stuff so I like a lot of these bands.( Boston, Toto,  Kansas, Asia, ELO, Heart, Queen, Van Halen....)

Edited by Argo2112 - October 31 2019 at 10:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 11:58
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

in a docu i saw about Arena rock, the Police, Dire Straits, U2 and AC/DC were mentioned as band. If played anywere on the plannet, will fill stadiums. Toto, are in some extent not arena rock as they strugle to fill stadiums in US but in europe and pther parts of the world they sell out arenas. the Police, ad/dc, Guns & Roses, the Killers, U2 sell out arenas wethers its US/North- America, Asia, Africa, Oceania or Europe
The way I see it, and this is only my opinion, Arena Rock is more a style of music, rather than any major band who are able to fill up arenas. I'd say Toto are fairly typical of the style of music of an Arena Rock band, even if they're unable to fill up arenas. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 12:26

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You put the poll again in the wrong section of the forum. Lol

Maybe the Arena Rock bands are playing in the wrong arena. Wink

Non prog topics and polls go in the general music. You are not a newbie anymore, you got no excuse.

Many of the bands in the poll ARE Prog-related though, which is why I posted it in the Prog Polls forum. Wink

What's next, a cock rock poll in Prog Polls?

The Prog lounges are intended particularly for music deemed Prog. If this were for Prog Polls, then this topic would be more appropriately titled Favourite Progressive Rock Arena Band and would focus on bands included in our Prog categories.

When placing a poll in Prog Polls, it should be Prog-focused (according to the prog categories we have in prog Archives) and the majority should be included in Prog-proper categories.    If you think your poll is more on the prog-related side, rather than acts included in Prog categories focused, then please place it in General Music Discussions.

We also have a Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge, which in intended for acts included in PA's Proto-Prog and Prog-Related categories, but it does not allow polls (even if it did, this would still fit General Music Discussions). Basically, if in doubt, music polls are probably better placed in General Music Discussions. Since Arena Rock (as a kind of genre which relates to forms of AOR or melodic rock) is not particularly a progressive rock phenomenon, General Music Discussions would seem more obvious to me. In another sense, Prog bands that did great spectacle and played big arenas such as Pink Floyd and ELP are arena rock (well, both have also also made AORish, in terms of a genre, music as well).

Anyway, what is Arena Rock is debatable, but that this poll is better suited to General Music Discussions is much less-so. In fact, General Music Discussions is where it should have been placed. I do wish people generally would put more thought into where they place their topics. Anyway, no vote, I'm not a fan of arena rock despite enjoying various bands who have played very large venues. That said, perhaps I could vote for ELO since I like albums by that band, and I like Toto with Eno's Dune soundtrack, but even the term arena rock fills me with some sense of revulsion.

Edited by Logan - October 31 2019 at 12:39
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:13
Not on the list (should be) the Grateful Dead.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:16
When I think "arena rock," Van Halen fits the definition better than just about any other band.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:58
RUSH!!!!! for Rush rawks man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 17:32
Rush and Van Halen were both late additions to the poll following suggestions that they be included. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 17:38
^ Rush were a must have..and saved you from a dreaded Mick-poll fail..

they more than anyone perhaps personify just what 'arena rock'.. ie AOR is.  It has been defined .. and Rush fit that definition perfectly..  taking prog elements and mixing it with basic accessible commercial American hard rock. Sure Journey, Styx, Kansas did it earlier. but none better than Rush 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 18:04
WOW, a poll where I actually know all the choices. Probably should have went with Queen, but gave Saga some love here.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 19:14
Rush! And I can't believe I voted for Rush in anything!!!Stern Smile
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

WOW, a poll where I actually know all the choices. Probably should have went with Queen, but gave Saga some love here.
x 2 Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:07
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I guess that's one of the reasons why they're known as Arena Rock bands on account of everyone knowing them from playing the big arenas. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:09
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Rush! And I can't believe I voted for Rush in anything!!!Stern Smile

I rushed them into the poll at the last minute. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>