Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Arena Rock Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who's Your Favourite Arena Rock Band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.67%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
5 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [17.78%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [26.67%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ Rush were a must have..and saved you from a dreaded Mick-poll fail..

they more than anyone perhaps personify just what 'arena rock'.. ie AOR is.  It has been defined .. and Rush fit that definition perfectly..  taking prog elements and mixing it with basic accessible commercial American hard rock. Sure Journey, Styx, Kansas did it earlier. but none better than Rush 
Rush replaced Todd Rundgren's Utopia in the poll, who probably wouldn't have received any votes anyway. Smile

It's a good thing I replaced Utopia with Rush as they're currently leading the poll. Smile

I'm not sure what a "Mick-poll fail" is. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 31 2019 at 20:16
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 00:32
I voted for Rush as they are one of my favourite bands but if you ask me the best 'Arena band' in terms of my actual attendance and experience it would easily be the subject of my avatar , namely Muse. They put on a spectacular show at Ashton Gate Stadium earlier in the year and basically have the whole large stadium/arena nailed down tight with a dance troupe , giant Iron Maiden style 'puppets' , video screen back projection , giant custom built speakers .. basically the dog gonads. After the then actually Iron Maiden are the second best with Rush third in my experience.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:43
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Not on the list (should be) the Grateful Dead.

Thank you ... was about to write that ... but this generation of folks posting here, has absolutely no idea what Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead did on stage, to compare ... so they can choose a simpler band in their music. Nothing against Boston or Kansas, but the musicianship levels, don't even come close to a proper comparison!

AND, the Grateful Dead, had the biggest and the best sound system EVER on any stage of the world, and sometimes you could swear it was way better than your own stereo system. PF even when through that and the clarity of DSOTM was a perfect example of them perfecting their "quadraphonic sound" ... that no one here remembers or can relate to!

Edited by moshkito - November 01 2019 at 07:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 15:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ Rush were a must have..and saved you from a dreaded Mick-poll fail..

they more than anyone perhaps personify just what 'arena rock'.. ie AOR is.  It has been defined .. and Rush fit that definition perfectly..  taking prog elements and mixing it with basic accessible commercial American hard rock. Sure Journey, Styx, Kansas did it earlier. but none better than Rush 

I disagree because Rush is a lot more prog than those bands (except maybe Kansas), and when I think of a band filling up an arena, it's the mighty Halen.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 16:02
It was actually my suggestion to have Van Halen on here(even though I didn't actually vote for them). However, if they are on here then you could also make a case for Aerosmith and then Motley Crue and then Kiss and then ZZ Top and on and on. I see Def Leppard is on here at least. The bands that most seemed to typify that arena rock sound though seemed to be REO Speedwagon, Journey, Boston, Styx and maybe Kansas(late seventies).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 01 2019 at 16:04
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 18:45
^Those bands were nowhere near as consistent when you compare heydays, though. VH cut a huge swath for a decade, upstaging headliners and spawning myriad wannabes (some, like Extreme, became successful).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 01:12
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Not on the list (should be) the Grateful Dead.

Thank you ... was about to write that ... but this generation of folks posting here, has absolutely no idea what Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead did on stage, to compare ... so they can choose a simpler band in their music. Nothing against Boston or Kansas, but the musicianship levels, don't even come close to a proper comparison!

AND, the Grateful Dead, had the biggest and the best sound system EVER on any stage of the world, and sometimes you could swear it was way better than your own stereo system. PF even when through that and the clarity of DSOTM was a perfect example of them perfecting their "quadraphonic sound" ... that no one here remembers or can relate to!
Grateful Dead are in my second Psychedelic Rock poll and they were around long before the era of the typical 1980's Arena Rock sound of bands such as Journey, Foreigner, Toto & REO Speedwagon.

I was born in the 1950's so I've been around even longer than the Grateful Dead and I'm grateful to still be alive. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 09:36
TOTO  - Falling in Between - Live in Paris (2007)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 12:22
MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell 3 Tour

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:27
Toto.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Toto.

Your avatar reminds me of Robert John Godfrey of The Enid. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 04 2019 at 02:30
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 18:57
Well, either Kansas or Rush of course, because they’re Prog. Rush of course will win. Why mix Prog and non-Prog? Take off the couple Prog ones and put ZZ Top in. They were the top crowd draw in one of those late 80s years.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 19:21
of the ones on the poll, ELO.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 20:02
Muse
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123