Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Psychedelic Ensemble - Mothers Rhymes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Psychedelic Ensemble - Mothers Rhymes
    Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:55
Was checking out the PA top rated albums of 2019 and saw The Psychedelic Ensemble (TPE). Streamed the new release, Mothers Rhymes, and immediately bought the CD. I love it. Mix of folk, prog, jazz, and chamber music with great compositions. Sounds at times like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Yes combined. Check out Little Bo Peep for the Mahavishnu vibe with a guest violinist. TPE is basically a one man band who wants to remain anonymous. He plays guitar, bass, keys, drums and sings. On this release he has some guest musicians contributing vocals, violin and cello. He also does all the engineering and production and writes all the music. It is deserving of the rating it currently has at PA. Less than a handful of one man bands are as good as this... Marco Minnemann, Todd Rundgren, and Adrian Belew are all I can think of. The only negative I can say about this release is the drums don't sound great... can't tell if they are programmed/electronic or real, but the cymbals are off and the rest of the drum kit sounds muffled. TPE vocals are also an acquired taste but the guest vocals of Amy Little are superb. This release moved me so much that I ordered psychical copies ofThe Tale of the Golden King and The Sunstone. 

This is exceptional music and deserves more discussion and recognition here, so what do you PA members think of this release? 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 08:23
Thanks. I'll certainly check them out.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 10:11
It is awesome. Listening to it a lot since discovering the band about a month ago. (Thanks Greg Walker!)
PROGMATIC
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:31
Tell me about it.  "Farewell" chokes me up.  
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 12:23
I only have Golden King and the last time I listened to it, it really clicked and I realized it is awesome. Didn't know about this new one so will have to search it out. Sounds like a winner.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 14:03
I've been a TPE fan/follower since his second release, 2010's The Myth of Dying, and, while I've rated all of his albums very highly, my favorite to this day remains 2011's The Dream of the Magic Jongleur. There are some simply astonishing passages, songs, and styles conveyed there. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, if you can find his 2012 single release "Undone" get it: it is incredible! The best thing he's ever done! 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 14:19
Another great release from Mr. Whatshisname. Very Tull this time around to these ears.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Another great release from Mr. Whatshisname. Very Tull this time around to these ears.

Yes it is great. I hear Tull, jazz, classical, and Yes/Wakeman throughout. And the album flows like one long song. Can't stop listening. Just wish the drums sounded better... are they real or programmed? Anyone with any clue?

I have ordered his two previous discs. They will be here this week.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:21
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've been a TPE fan/follower since his second release, 2010's The Myth of Dying, and, while I've rated all of his albums very highly, my favorite to this day remains 2011's The Dream of the Magic Jongleur. There are some simply astonishing passages, songs, and styles conveyed there. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, if you can find his 2012 single release "Undone" get it: it is incredible! The best thing he's ever done! 

I'm impressed so much with the new release that I'm sure I'll acquire all his output.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The title track is the best Jethro Tull song in the last 40 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply