Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best ballad of all time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best ballad of all time
    Posted: November 14 2019 at 07:03
Here are the first few to come in my mind and I like them all. Potentially missed quite a few so feel free to give suggestions. I decided to rate all the songs from 1-10 just for fun. You can do the same, it's nice to see others opinions :)

VDGG - Refugees (10/10)
VDGG - House with no door (10/10)
Gentle Giant - Think of me with kindness (10/10)
Gentle Giant - Aspirations (9/10)
Beatles - She's leaving home (8/10)
Genesis - (9/10)
Genesis - The lamia (9/10)
Genesis - The chamber of 32 doors (9/10)
Genesis - Time table (9/10)
Genesis - Mad mad moon (8/10)
(10/10)
(9/10)
King Crimson - Book of saturday (8/10)
King Crimson - Epitaph (9/10)
King Crimson - Exiles (9/10)
King Crimson - Formentera Lady (10/10)
Dream Theather - Wait for sleep (9/10)
Steven Wilson - Routine (9/10)

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 07:56
Comfortably Numb

and Silent Lucidity.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:24
Imagine - John Lennon
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:32
Scorpions - Yellow Raven
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:43
Björk - Joga (live version Royal Opera House 2002 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_Wx8ooRjI)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:23
I was hoping there'd be a poll we could vote on. I couldn't possibly choose my favourite ballad out of the many thousands I've heard over the years. Oh, go on then, "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Smile

Out of your list, I'll choose "Epitaph" by King Crimson. Maybe I'll request it to be played at my funeral, although I won't be able to listen to it. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 14 2019 at 09:26
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:55
Sound of Scilence, Old Friends and America by Simon & Garfunkle
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:07

My favourite ballad is "Stranger Still" (from Peter Hammill - Sitting Targets)

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:33
This one can be deleted as I did the poll. I don't know where/if i can delete it myself.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 12:38
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

This one can be deleted as I did the poll. I don't know where/if i can delete it myself.

A poll is a poll and a list is a list. If you want to encourage people to freely list their favourites, have a list. Your poll has "other" but you'll find that far fewer people choose "other" in a poll (and then not even all of them will say what) than list something personal in a list. Of course there are a few crowd favourites for which people are happy to vote, but for this kind of thing I'd always prefer a list, as the majority of people will in fact have their own favourites that are not on offer in the poll.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 00:30
A lot of these are not ballads really . Just great songs.

A few ballads I would go for that I believe are correct under the definition (ie should have a love theme imo)

Many Too Many - Genesis
Afterglow - Genesis
Close to Believing - ELP
Nights In White Satin - Moodies ( this must be the best and I will vote for this on the poll if its an option)

I would have included From The Beginning - ELP but this is an introspective song that is not about love. Neither is Lucky Man for that matter.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 04:56
I'd probably go for Northern Sky by Nick Drake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 05:56
I just heard Van Der Graaf Generator's song "House with No Door" for the first time today. Wow! What a beautiful song! I now need to find out which album it's on so I can go out and buy it. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 06:01
Wikipedia Definition of a Ballad:- In the late 19th century,  the term "ballad" took on the meaning of a slow form of popular love song and is often used for any love song, particularly the sentimental ballad of pop or rock music,
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 07:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I just heard Van Der Graaf Generator's song "House with No Door" for the first time today. Wow! What a beautiful song! I now need to find out which album it's on so I can go out and buy it. Smile

H To He, Who Am The Only One

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:05
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Thanks! I prophesise I'm going to buy the album after hearing it. Smile
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:11
^

Money well spent :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:59

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Thanks! I prophesise I'm going to buy the album after hearing it. Smile

It's my second favourite album after "Pawn Hearts". Although "House With No Door" is my favourite VdGG ballad, it's my least favourite track on the album. My favourite track on the album is "Lost".

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:11
I might get around to listening to all of the early Van Der Graaf Generator albums eventually.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:17
Excellent!

For me VDGG is the "essential" prog band along with Genesis, King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd. It might take a few listens before fully understanding it. But once you do, you will be eternally grateful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>