Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best ballad of all time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Excellent!

For me VDGG is the "essential" prog band along with Genesis, King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd. It might take a few listens before fully understanding it. But once you do, you will be eternally grateful.
I have most of the early albums by Genesis, Yes & Pink Floyd, but I only like the first album by King Crimson.

Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:24
Which albums have to listened from KC?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:25

Excellent!

For me VDGG is the "essential" prog band.

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

*long sigh of despair*
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:26
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Excellent!

For me VDGG is the "essential" prog band.

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

*long sigh of despair*

You obviously haven't tried hard enough :)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:34

Which albums have to listened from KC?
King Crimson's second album "In the Wake of Poseidon wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get into their third album Lizard at all. That album put me right off King Crimson altogether. I've heard snippets of Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black but they were far too experimental for my tastes.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 09:41
You should check out "Red" at least once, it's quite remarkable and less experimental than "Lark's". You might not like Providence but the others might click :)

Also "The least we can do..." and "H to he..." are less experimental than "Pawn Hearts", so you should start with those two (if you are interested in VDGG) Smile
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 10:02
Goodye Yellow Brick Road and Your Song by Elton John are favourite of mine so is original harphishcord version of Skylyne Pdgeon from Empty Sky (1969)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 10:10

You should check out "Red" at least once, it's quite remarkable and less experimental than "Lark's". You might not like Providence but the others might click :)

Also "The least we can do..." and "H to he..." are less experimental than "Pawn Hearts", so you should start with those two (if you are interested in VDGG) Smile
Thanks. I will do. Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 10:46
My favorite is "The Deadly Dream Of Freedom" by Triumvirat.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 22:52
The Lamia
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 01:10

I listened to Van Der Graaf Generator's "Pawn Hearts" album for the first time last night, but it was a little too experimental for my tastes, and it even sounded discordant in some places. I may listen to the album again though just to see if it grows on me, and it's sparked my interest enough to want to listen to the two more approachable albums that preceded "Pawn Hearts".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 01:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I listened to Van Der Graaf Generator's "Pawn Hearts" album for the first time last night, but it was a little too experimental for my tastes, and it even sounded discordant in some places. I may listen to the album again though just to see if it grows on me, and it's sparked my interest enough to want to listen to the two more approachable albums that preceded "Pawn Hearts".

Godbluff is the most enjoyable VDGG album imo

Red is an absolute classic. I even bought the 24 disc box set The Road To Red about 3 years ago although I still haven't got through it Big smile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 04:06

It is a commonly acknowledged aspect of Van der Graaf Generator music that it can be difficult to get into. Even the PA biography of Van der Graaf Generator says:  

Quote For lot of us their music has proven to be very hard to get into, but it is even harder to live without it once you've acquired a taste for the band. The way the band combines the very personal with the abstract sound of progression creates a fascination that lives on and the way Peter HAMMILL puts his soul in the music seems to be untouchable for other musicians.

Yes, I found a number of their albums took several listens before I could appreciate the beauty contained within the music. However, I did fall in love with "Pawn Hearts" the first time I heard it.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 04:34
For me one of the best is Australian Blackfeathers "Seasons of Change" (arranged with more acoustic guitar and strings)

or version by Fraternity (emphasis on hammonds)

Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 10:38

Ahh! You took the hardest one first but glad you did :) Give it a few more spins and it might grow on you. Next one "Red"...
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by HarryAngel746 HarryAngel746 wrote:

For me one of the best is Australian Blackfeathers "Seasons of Change" (arranged with more acoustic guitar and strings)

or version by Fraternity (emphasis on hammonds)

Blackfeather's version of "Season of Change" is *the* version......it still sends shivers down the spine....brings back so many memories...it was a big hit down here in Oz. Such a beautiful song and rendition. Fraternity's version is not up to Blackfeather's.

Incidentally, the lead singer of Fraternity is a young Bon Scott (i.e. future AC/DC vocalist).
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 16:53
Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure which version was original. I agree that the Fraternity's version is a bit clumsy Smile.
I have a feeling that this song has something like that I knew this motif earlier from some prehistoric times, before memory appeared.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 07:51
Echolyn - Never the Same
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12