Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thank You Scientist with Bent Knee, The Tea Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thank You Scientist with Bent Knee, The Tea Club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank You Scientist with Bent Knee, The Tea Club
    Posted: November 14 2019 at 20:28
Prior to this concert, I had heard a song or two by Thank You Scientist but had never heard of Bent Knee or The Tea Club. I found out about the concert a couple hours before it started and had no expectations. It was held at a small standing-room only venue that had a max capacity of around 200 and there were probably 100-150 people there.

The Tea Club played one 30 minute song entitled, "Creature." They seemed pretty tight. It had a movement or two that stood out as great; the rest was good.

The main reason I felt compelled to write this post was Bent Knee. I have seen 30ish concerts by 20 or so prog bands over the past 15 years (the entirety of my prog life). Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited tour of 2014 previously held the title of best energy ever put on by the band. Bent Knee absolutely blew that show out of the water. I'm going to sound repetitive if I do this all individually, but Courtney Swain (lead vocals/keyboards), Ben Levin (guitar/vocals), Chris Baum (violin), and Jessica Kion (bass/vocals) all had out-of-this-world stage presence. Ben and Jessica were grooving together and playing beautifully off each other the whole time. Chris was a man possessed by the music. Courtney had the second most charisma I've ever seen from any front man/woman, only behind a young Ian Anderson. Everyone was all smiles and looked like they were having the time of their lives. Most of their songs were a bit too poppy for me to really get into with the exception of the fantastic set closer, "Lovemenot." The set was probably 45-60 minutes and was worth the price of admission by itself. I highly recommend seeing them if you ever get the chance.

I really dislike Salvatore Marrano's vocals, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to my opinion of Thank You Scientist live. The two positives I took away from their performance was I'd probably really like them with a different/no singer and that Tom Monda (guitar) had absurd technical skills.

The whole show was three and a half hours.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 20:44
Glad you enjoyed Bent Knee, I had a similar reaction when I saw them for the first time in '14. I've seen them more than a dozen times since then and they always bring it. Last time was a few weeks ago. Ben & Jessica are actually married so clearly there's a connection there.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 20:56
Cool review.  I had been a fan of the Tea Club since Quickly Quickly Quickly but Bent Knee was rather new to me until I heard them on House Of Prog last year.  And dammit they did play at a mostly SRO club here in Atlanta but I got there early and was able to snag a great table behind the bar.  They had a couple of other opening acts that didn't impress me much. They are coming back this year with The Tea Club and Thank You Scientist who are new to me as of this year. WOW what a fine line up.  Same club.  If I can attend I will try to get there extra early.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 04:58
That is a line-up I'd like to see in the UK!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 05:56
I am going to see this tour in December and am really looking forward to it. I saw Bent Knee and Thank You Scientist together a couple of years ago and they were great. All three bands have really good new albums out with Bent Knee's my favorite right now. It's their best album since Shiney Eyed Babies.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:46
That reminded me of the reaction I had when I saw Bent Knee last year, I had to read my review again. Gavin is very impressive behind the drum kit too.

Good, I thought I was the only one who had a problem with Marrano's vocals. It sounds so off with their kind of music and lyrical content.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:19
I have seen Thank You Scientist on stage three times, and I can tell you that they're definitely a live rather than a studio band. To me, their albums sound rather samey, but when they step on stage it's a different story. That being said, I also think that both The Tea Club and Bent Knee are much better bands.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:43
yeah.. Thank You Scientist is also one of the most fun bands to party with after the show..  ranking only below the mighty Kentuckians Ut Gret. Thumbs Up

agreed completely with my better half though.. some bands.. good God we've seen enough. They rule on stage.. but would never listen to them at home. While I never bought the hype on Bent Knee.. honestly.. they bored me to death..  I do agree Tea Club is a fantatically talented group and quite good songwriters. One of my modern favs. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 15:27
I've seen all three of these bands. Bent Knee I only saw once which was at Rosfest. I saw the Tea Club and Thank You Scientist open up for Haken a few years ago and also The Tea Club once before that open up for Advent(I think). All good but I don't feel the need to see any of them again.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 16:56
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I am going to see this tour in December and am really looking forward to it. I saw Bent Knee and Thank You Scientist together a couple of years ago and they were great. All three bands have really good new albums out with Bent Knee's my favorite right now. It's their best album since Shiney Eyed Babies.

Saw the tour on Saturday and the bands were great. Fun performances all around. Doors opened at 6 pm, but I didn't get to the club until 7 pm and Tea Club was already playing. I caught the tail end of one song and the entirety of "Creature" so only 1 song, but it was 26+ minutes. Got to love those epic prog epics. "If/When" is already one of my top albums for the year.

Pretty quick turn around and Bent Knee was on. Ben Levin and Jessica Kion make such an adorable couple. They way they would look at each other and bump into each other as they were playing was really cute.  I can see them having nerdy musician kids. Their new album is also one of my top albums for the year. They were on point for the entire 45-50 minute set. 

Thank You Scientist put on a fun show as well. I saw them once before and I remember making a mental note the previous drummer seemed bored. Not the case with the current drummer. Top notch playing, the instrumental, Chromology, stood out. They closed out with their cover of the Rick James/Eddie Murphy number, "Party All the Time," joined on stage by the positively goofy Ben and Jessica, who were dancing around. Also on stage was Tea Club drummer Dan Monda (brother of Thank You Scientist guitarist Tom), as well as Tea Club's Pat McGowan, who appeared to be filming it all on his phone.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 18:04

Saw the tour on Saturday and the bands were great. Fun performances all around. Doors opened at 6 pm, but I didn't get to the club until 7 pm and Tea Club was already playing. I caught the tail end of one song and the entirety of "Creature" so only 1 song, but it was 26+ minutes. Got to love those epic prog epics. "If/When" is already one of my top albums for the year.

Pretty quick turn around and Bent Knee was on. Ben Levin and Jessica Kion make such an adorable couple. They way they would look at each other and bump into each other as they were playing was really cute.  I can see them having nerdy musician kids. Their new album is also one of my top albums for the year. They were on point for the entire 45-50 minute set. 

Thank You Scientist put on a fun show as well. I saw them once before and I remember making a mental note the previous drummer seemed bored. Not the case with the current drummer. Top notch playing, the instrumental, Chromology, stood out. They closed out with their cover of the Rick James/Eddie Murphy number, "Party All the Time," joined on stage by the positively goofy Ben and Jessica, who were dancing around. Also on stage was Tea Club drummer Dan Monda (brother of Thank You Scientist guitarist Tom), as well as Tea Club's Pat McGowan, who appeared to be filming it all on his phone.

Thanks for the reviews! I've missed Bent Knee every time they've come near me--I even had tickets to see them last summer in Milwaukee! (Life keeps getting in the way.) Someday . . . I hope I'm lucky enough to catch them with other quality acts like Thank You Scientist, The Tea Club, or District 97.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply