Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time Travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Travel
    Posted: November 21 2019 at 06:51
If you could travel in time only once. What era of music would you travel too?

I would travel 1000 years into the future so I could see if music and earth survived. I would also like to see if the PA top 100 albums were mostly from the 70's still.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 06:55
I would be happy just going back 10 years and doing a few things over. I'm not hard to please in that respect. Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 06:57
I'd like to travel back to the Summer of Love year of 1967, because I was too young to appreciate the music at the time and I never even knew about the Monterey Pop Festival that took place that same year until as late as 2010 when I first went online. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 07:03
I would go back in time to somewhere between 1723 and 1750 and to Leipzig in space to meet old Bach

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 07:10
I would travel back to the 1880s to 1890s, to hear the premieres in Europe of some of Bruckner's mature Symphonies (7th and 8th) and, most of all, to hear a youthful Gustav Mahler conduct the premieres of his 1st and 2nd Symphonies!

Edited by presdoug - November 21 2019 at 07:17
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 08:42
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would also like to see if the PA top 100 albums were mostly from the 70's still.

LOL

Don't know why I'm laughing - they will beShocked
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 09:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'd like to travel back to the Summer of Love year of 1967, because I was too young to appreciate the music at the time and I never even knew about the Monterey Pop Festival that took place that same year until as late as 2010 when I first went online. Smile

PinchOuchDeadErmm

I actually agree with PeePee...ConfusedUnhappy

I'm going to have to consult a therapist to see if I'm still sane TongueWink

But yeah, I'd probably wish I was born 10 or 15 years sooner to witness Coltrane (and modal jazz in general) and the Frisco scene.

Given the actual state of the planet, and the rise of all those frigging Censored nutcases accessing to power, I wouldn't mind too much being 15 years closer to death nowadays, if I trade them for active music listening from 59 to 69.. Geek

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 09:13
Probably late 60s to witness the birth and evolution of prog. Maybe I'll go to London and try to be a part of the movement myself so I can play the kind of music I like without being labelled "Retro-prog".
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 09:47
I'd go back to Sept 1963 and convince Boris Johnson's father to use a condom.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'd go back to Sept 1963 and convince Boris Johnson's father to use a condom.

Wow, that's harsh! 

Anyway, for me it would be 1972/73. I was alive but far to young to appreciate(let alone know about) close to the edge and selling england by the pound so I would see those bands(Yes and Genesis)on their tours around that time.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 10:25
I would go back to the early 20th century, buy a bunch of stock in a bunch of companies that are going to take off, go back to the future and collect the investment, then go back to 1971 to start a record company, build the best studio in the world, hire the best sound engineers, and sign all the prog bands and let them do whatever they want (including the obscure acts to give them the chance they never had). The investment in Pink Floyd and Yes alone will provide enough money to weather the 1980s and keep prog going through that decade. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 10:53
29 May 1913, Theatre des Champs-Elysees, Paris. Witness the maybe hottest premiere in music ever.

Edited by Lewian - November 21 2019 at 10:53
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 11:14
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

29 May 1913, Theatre des Champs-Elysees, Paris. Witness the maybe hottest premiere in music ever.

the premiere of Igor Stravinsky's ballet "Le Sacre du Printemps" ("The Rites of Spring) performed by Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes with the choreography of Vaslav Nijinski. probably the biggest scandal in music history, and no, I did not have to look that up; I heard a radio feature about this scandal once, and it is also one of my favorite compositions of all time.

the premiere of Bela Bartok's "A csodálatos mandarin" ("The Miraculous Mandarin") in Cologne, Germany on Nov 27th 1926 does in my opinion come second (regarding biggest musical scandal). Cologne's Lord Mayor at that time, a certain Konrad Adenauer, who later became the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, prohibited further renditions

Edited by BaldJean - November 21 2019 at 11:27

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 11:18
Oh it would have to be January the 1st to New Year's Eve 1967! Your problem how you get day to day, and all safely back to this time you reading this message at the end of it. And even then I'll kick you out and say "No, you went there, I'm just here to make sure you got ok. You did, so piss off."

Yeah! And if you were the me in the above I so would do the Time Schravel Teme!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 11:34
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the premiere of Bela Bartok's "A csodálatos mandarin" ("The Miraculous Mandarin") in Cologne, Germany on Nov 27th 1926 does in my opinion come second (regarding biggest musical scandal).

...and this is also pretty good stuff, but I don't intend to stick around in the past for 13 years through WW1.

Edited by Lewian - November 21 2019 at 11:34
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 12:50
I would like to go and See either Handel, Bach, Mozart or Beethoven perform live. 
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 13:13
Paris in the 1830s for the chance of attending the salons to hear Chopin and Liszt. Meeting George Sand would be icing on the cake...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 13:16
Just like every thread and post on PA. Ya'll are living in the past. Don't you think there is a chance modern music could be better in 1000 years?
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 13:18
The good news is we can if we want to . According to Spock's Beard, " Bennett Built a Time Machine" 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 14:20
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I would go back to the early 20th century, buy a bunch of stock in a bunch of companies that are going to take off, go back to the future and collect the investment, then go back to 1971 to start a record company, build the best studio in the world, hire the best sound engineers, and sign all the prog bands and let them do whatever they want (including the obscure acts to give them the chance they never had). The investment in Pink Floyd and Yes alone will provide enough money to weather the 1980s and keep prog going through that decade. 

How can anyone out-do this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>