Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Synth-Pop Britannia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synth-Pop Britannia
    Posted: December 25 2019 at 14:14
I could hardly let Christmas Day go by without a new blog, so here it is - SYNTH BRITANNIA - celebrating the electronic eighties when Synth-Pop swept like a New Wave across the British music scene. It's an MTV  world of polyphonic synthesisers, digital drum machines, catchy dance beats, and the rise of the New Romantic movement, which was characterised by flamboyant, eccentric fashion and garish lipstick and mascara - and that was just the men. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 04 2024 at 02:23
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 02:15
It started off so well with OMD and Tubeway Army+ Gary Numans first solo album but then for me it got a bit boring. I never liked New Order that much and hated The Human League (even if the producer worked with ELP as he used to go on about in his interviews). 

That Tubeway Army album is still a classic though. I remember getting very excited when it was released late 1979. Probably the last time I had that feeling about any music.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 08:18
Ultravox is in my top 10 bands of all time, and no matter who sings lead vocals be it Foxx or Ure
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It started off so well with OMD and Tubeway Army+ Gary Numans first solo album but then for me it got a bit boring. I never liked New Order that much and hated The Human League (even if the producer worked with ELP as he used to go on about in his interviews). 

That Tubeway Army album is still a classic though. I remember getting very excited when it was released late 1979. Probably the last time I had that feeling about any music.
I remember seeing Gary Numan at the Leicester air show where he was flying his own vintage plane. My favourite song of his is "Cars".

I've always been a big fan of The Human League but I feel the same way as you do about New Order. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 01:57
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Ultravox is in my top 10 bands of all time, and no matter who sings lead vocals be it Foxx or Ure

yeah agreed , they were a great band.

Also I forgot that this is my favourite track of the whole synth pop thing and has a lot of Midge Ure's involvement to thank for it. I play this a helluva lot!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 02:02
^ annoyingly this is a remix and not the original 12 inch mix from the eighties but I struggled to find that one on YT
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 03:33
ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK - Souvenir Documentary - (Billed as the "Best Ever A Must See Music Documentary" on YouTube - although I wouldn't quite go that far.) It is essential viewing for any fans of OMD though. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 28 2019 at 03:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 05:34
I'd probably nominate this one as my favourite song from that category:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 07:04
Just to get the balance right in a Synth-Pop blog, I thought I'd add my favourite song by Depeche Mode. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:00
For those who say there's not enough musical variety on PA and want to turn it into an all-music site, Wink this is my first Synth Britannia A-Z playlist. I'd like to have included Zeigeist at the bottom of the list too (seeing as it's the only Synth-Pop band I know of beginning with the letter "Z") - until I discovered they're actually Swedish. Anyway, here's the list, only now it's a question of finding the time to feature all of these artists  (with their carefully coiffed perms) amongst the vast pantheon of prog. but When in Rome, as they say. Smile

ABC
The Blue Nile (suggested by Steve Wyzard - in place of Blancmange) Wink
China Crisis
Depeche Mode
Eurythmics
Flock of Seagulls
Goldfrapp
The Human League
The Icicle Works
Jon & Vangelis
Kissing the Pink
Landscape
Mirrors
Gary Numan (and Tubeway Army)
Orchestral Manouevres in the Dark
Pet Shop Boys
The Quick 
Re-Flex
Soft Cell
Talk Talk (obviously!)
Ultravox
Visage
When in Rome
Yazoo

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 04 2022 at 13:04
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 12:50
Any room for Scotland's finest: THE BLUE NILE???
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 02:27
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Any room for Scotland's finest: THE BLUE NILE???

Hats off for a great suggestion! The Blue Nile are coming up here later, but choosing the first Synth-Pop artist to feature here today is as simple as ABC. Smile
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 03:15
Can I add 'New Musik' to the list?

'Anywhere' is one of my favourite albums. Synth pop heaven! Smile

Anywhere : New Musik: Amazon.fr: Téléchargement de Musique

Edited by Octopus II - May 04 2024 at 03:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 03:25
^ Yes, definitely! I'd completely forgotten about New Musik. You can add old music to the list too if you like. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 04 2024 at 05:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 05:24
^ I still have that single. Clap

They did three albums in total, but 'Anywhere' is their best in my opinion. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 06:23
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

^ I still have that single. Clap

They did three albums in total, but 'Anywhere' is their best in my opinion. Smile
Living by Numbers is the only New Musik song I remember, although I only "remembered" it after you reminded me. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 08:53
A-Z of Synth-Pop Britannia Artists

ABC; John Adams; Alpinestars; Altered Images; Arcadia; Art of Noise; Neil Arthur; The Associates

B-Movie; B.E.F. (British Electric Foundation); Andy Bell; Blancmange; The Blue Nile; Boom Boom Room; Boys Don't Cry; Bronski Beat; The Buggles

Cabaret Voltaire; Candyland; CaVa CaVa; China Crisis; Chris & Cosey; Chvrches; Cicero; Vince Clarke; Classix Nouveau; The Communards; The Cure

Dalek I Love You; Darkstar; Dead or Alive; Depeche Mode; The Devils; Thomas Dolby; Dolphin Brothers; Dramatis; The Dream Academy; Stephen 'Tin Tin' Duffy; Duran Duran

Eighth Wonder; Eno; Erasure; Eurythmics

Fad Gadget; The Farmer's Boys; Fashion; Fatal Charm; Fiat Lux; Fiction Factory; Flock of Seagulls; John Foxx; Frankie Goes to Hollywood; Frazier Chorus; Freur

Dave Gahan; Gardening by Moonlight; Peter Godwin; Goldfrapp; Martin Gore

Paul Haig; Toni Halliday; Paul Hardcastle; Heartbeat; Heaven 17; Rupert Hine; Hollywood Beyond; Hot Chip; The Human League; Hurts

I Blame Coco; The Icicle Works

Philip Jap; Japan; Jon & Vangelis; Howard Jones

Kajagoogoo; Nik Kershaw; King; Kissing the Pink

La Roux; Labyrinth Ear; Ladytron; Landscape; Linea Aspera; The Lotus Eaters; The Lover Speaks

M; Maps; Marilyn; Marnie; Mirrors; Mobiles; The Mood; Pauline Murray

Naked Eyes; Bill Nelson's Red Noise; New Musik; New Order; Nancy Nova; Gary Numan (& Tubeway Army)

Philip Oakey & Georgio Moroder; Onetwo; Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark; The Other Two

Pet Shop Boys

The Quick

Radio Heart (featuring Gary Numan); Real Lies; Re-Flex; Rexy; Richard X

Scarlet Fantastic; Scritti Politti; Section 25; Pete Shelley; Shriekback; Shura; Simple Minds; So; Soft Cell; Sal Solo; Belouis Some; Spandau Ballet; Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin; Strawberry Switchblade

Talk Talk; Tears for Fears; Technique; Techno Twins; Thompson Twins; Tik & Tok; Toto Coelo; Louise Tucker

Ultravox

Vegas; Vicious Pink; Vitamin Z; Visage

Wang Chung; When in Rome; Kim Wilde; Win; Pete Wylie

Yazoo; Years & Years; Younger Younger 28's

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 16 2024 at 12:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 15:31
                   A-Z of Synth-Pop Britannia Artists

1982: ABC - The Lexicon of Love - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_njQ-vtLtdr8lCUJvijX4QrS6Rf48QgtwA
                  1983: ABC - Beauty Stab - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ncg-nDhyWWeryX7q6TkNx7BnoVTTjehPQ
                  1985: ABC - How to Be a Zillionaire - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lzO_89JNwhbMo9kea-8f9l_pPVCYN0ft8
                  1987: ABC - Alphabet City - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kr6AKI4GkBY6M65xdu1YQ99fmrHsgV9VQ
                  1991: ABC - Abracadabra - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mfHgJUINJ_LksxLfCfsovkqop-zBnUGzI
                  1997: ABC - Skyscraping - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nlzHNSZbY-KpVVXlCvOpfgz4FXiQUc-fE
                  2008: ABC - Traffic 
                  2016: ABC - The Lexicon of Love II - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lx0Zvk9fYiNaRUxlPXYmW6EC5mHKHVmy8

1984: Art of Noise - Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mss_PWXs479Ptb7a8KPZu0i0kHS5kJcfw
                  1986: Art of Noise - In Visible Silence - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l2vEa0AXmuufF9RIgzxuZNrk6QxzRD57g
                  1986: Art of Noise - Daft - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n8wwKpzkkhkwNW4Va7AJC2wf7m2XtrN_o
                  1987: Art of Noise - In No Sense? Nonsense! - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_liPUD-V9s7P3Jl0qeYnFlDUTgFn2dDuM0
                  1989: Art of Noise - Below the Waste - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ligLo7C-0k9voip6_Ud6CrYUZrDyuHGKY
                  1990: Art of Noise - The Ambient Collection - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lk0BTLqpMOBznbTWPHcXs8lDZXoXv_W5s
                  1999: Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLARymfUOHRWyu0a9W4XjviNm32KSfBAFE

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 06 2024 at 10:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 02:14
Art of Noise were superb.

'Peter Gunn' with Duane Eddy, and the video with Rick Mayall as the gumshoe are great. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 05:25
Synth Britannia Documentary:- A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (especially for those of us who are too young to remember the 1980's), it's the sound of the future, yesterday, as we travel back in time to the New Romantic era of heavy mascara, bright red lipstick, big hairdos & flamboyant fashions (and sometimes, that even included the women too). Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 05 2024 at 06:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>