Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance Turn Of The Cards re-issue coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:16
^ I don't think I knew about your "On the Frontier" love, or I forgot!  Such an awesome song of hope and wonder.  .

Re "Turn of the Cards", to me it has 2 standout songs that would make my top 10 of the group:  "Black Flame" and "Mother Russia".  The latter is probably their best loved studio track, with Ashes being the live choice of course!  Add that the phenomenal "Cold is Being" is in between the two tracks and you have perhaps their best side of music ever.

But perhaps it's the darkness of the album, the sense of gloom that is the antithesis of "On the Frontier" that is what leaves you slightly numbed.  Over on side 1 it is no less gloomy, just not quite as enthralling IMO

Edited by kenethlevine - June 08 2020 at 14:17
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:26
hah.. perhaps it is the damn cat.. but I've sort of taken note of your posts. Yeah you had noted it made mention how much of a favorite of yours it was. Something we shared..

along with.. still today I remember your post for you absolutely nailed another major favorite we share. 

Danny Kirwan's RIP thread and Sands of Time. Remember what you called it? Some of the truest words I've heard spoken

as far as ToC.. perhaps a re listen might do some good.. Raff never pops it in either which makes me think she might feel as I do so we go to other albums to itch their scratch. I remember when we saw them at Nearfest and they did the album in its entirety I had probably well made me mind up about the album and left Raff and headed out to pound a few beers and smoke a few and enjoy the peace and quiet while everyone else was inside but I made it back in time for them doing the whole of Scheherazade which absolutely ruled.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:49
oops, had forgotten about the remark I made re "Sands of Time".  I had to look it up!  I can't believe how mixed opinions are on that song.  Are people even listening to it?????  

Anyway, Renaissance content.  Listen to Mother Russia and esp[ecially the middle section that begins with her vocalise and continues with Tout and the orchestra making romantic love right afterwords.  If the oboe and harp over snare drums don't win you over, check your pulse!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:59
hah.. hasn't that been long been the forum signature.

Welcome to Prog Archives where there simply is no accounting for people's tastes..

that is an amazing song.. and it hits deep into the heart and soul and when you called it a sauve after I shared the clip  I pointed to the screen and said.. 'f**k yeah.. Ken gets it'..

I'll take a re listen to it this evening. .perhaps it isn't a beer and dope kind of album.. I'll try it with a glass of wine and a Winston
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 15:13
oh and re "Mother Russia", my first time hearing it was in '76 when I was a "night mother" at a temporary hostel set up specifically for the Montreal 1976 summer olympics.  I am not meant to be a night worker, even though I do love staying up late!  So I was practically comatose and, from the office where the night admin person was sequestered, I heard divine sounds which turned out to be that middle part of "Mother Russia".  I just felt such an emotional rush.  I knew of Renaissance and knew of the song but didn't realize which song it was until Annie came back in.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 15:24
Thumbs Up I'll let you know what I think .. wouldn't' be the first time an album connects after having not for so long.. but it is a rather short list. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 02:28

Turn of the Cards was never my Reneissance favourite either, but this new re-master sounds fantastic, and I am enjoying the album now more than ever.

Also Novella and A Song for All Seasons have recently been re-issued in the same form (clamshell box with multiple discs) by Esoteric Recordings. Maybe Scheherazade will be next?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 04:32
Strangely, TotC is an album that I hold in high esteem but I play it the least of the early Renaissance albums, jumping quickly to Scheherazade or Novella after listening to Ashes Are Burning.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12