Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Echolyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Again I hope you guys order from prog vendors(like the one I mentioned above) when possible and not major corporations like amazon who already get billions from everyone else.
Laser CD is good also, but a lot of the discs I buy (jazz, fusion, and a even prog) aren't offered by these vendors. So the only choice is the zon.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Again I hope you guys order from prog vendors(like the one I mentioned above) when possible and not major corporations like amazon who already get billions from everyone else.
Laser CD is good also, but a lot of the discs I buy (jazz, fusion, and a even prog) aren't offered by these vendors. So the only choice is the zon.

Echolyn are on synphonic though(aside from 3 titles all echolyn cds are 11 or 12 dollars on there). Also, I disagree. Apart from maybe lasercd and maybe wayside(which is geared a little more towards avant, rio and jazz)I don't think you will find a better selection of prog online than synphonic. For me buying from amazon is kind of like buying a hot dog from a fancy restaurant when there is a hot dog vendor right across the street. Who needs your money more the fancy restaurant or the hot dog vendor? Lol. Do you want and I'm only making a suggestion anyway but that's how I see it. That being said I do sometimes buy from amazon myself because they offer free shipping if you buy a certain amount but even with them it's often vendors who are part of the system who just are funnelled through the amazon platform.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 15 2020 at 12:26
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:31
You can also buy discs from bandcamp and cdbaby but a lot of newer artists don't sell physical copies. So what to do? I don't download and stream only to see if I like a band. Synphonic has a lot listed but it is not always in stock and you have to email vendor to see if it is. Kind of a hassle

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 15 2020 at 12:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:39

You can also buy discs from bandcamp and cdbaby but a lot of newer artists don't sell physical copies. So what to do? I don't download and stream only to see if I like a band.

I have noticed that too(on bandcamp). You could listen to it for free on bandcamp first(or at least a few tracks to see if you like it) then buy it as a download later. I'm pretty sure some artists on bandcamp(although I don't know the percentage) start out with the downloads or streaming then add a physical cd later if there is enough demand for it. I haven't really down much with bandcamp yet but probably will at some point. Cdbaby like you said also has a mixture of downloads and physical cds. I personally don't want tons of dowloads clogging up memory on my computer but maybe that's just me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Fourth favorite band of all time.

I've interviewed Kull once:

And I spoke to him again over the phone a few summers ago.  Nothing formal.  Just an hour or so of friendly conversation and he answered some things I'd been curious about regarding their work.  Truly, he sounded more excited to hear from me than I was to be on the phone with him. 

Glad to see you posting Mr Skeletor.......this site needs more of you here.

I've been around a little bit here and there.  My priorities are different than they were ten years ago (three kids, mortgage, etc. etc.), but I still love the music.

Been listening to a lot of RUSH lately.  Sad news.

Got it, totally understand. I was there awhile ago, my youngest is in college now so I don't have to worry about cooking every night for them and making sure they have clothes washed and all the kid stuff.....I'm free to play music all day long as loud as I want as long as I want LOL.

Rush is always being played Cry

I still play Refulgence regularly, it's on my playlist on my home system.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 15 2020 at 13:38
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Actually I might have been a little wrong as the first 2 albums are available for a reasonable price so I've placed an order. Happy days!

Out of curiosity...where is this? I'd love to get a copy of their debut. 

weirdly there are 2 albums called Echolyn . It appears I have ordered the second one but Amazon incorrectly lists it on the summary page as 1991 but it's actually the 2012 version I have ordered. Confused.com!!

Ah, ok. I prefer the original Echolyn to the 2012 version. But thanks. STB is a classic so I hope you enjoy it. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 00:14
I occasionally order from Burning Shed but I tend to get confused about what I've got on order so unfortunately I've made a decision to order from Amazon wherever possible. I also have Prime membership so normally that gets me free next day delivery on many things.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:16
Echolyn always had a small dedicated following but really deserves to be more popular. I don't know why that is. Poor PR? Little word mouth? Even fans of British neo prog seem to sidestep them.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 11:43
Cowboy poems is a favorite
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 13:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Echolyn always had a small dedicated following but really deserves to be more popular. I don't know why that is. Poor PR? Little word mouth? Even fans of British neo prog seem to sidestep them.

It's really hard to say. I do believe at one point in the 90's they were as well known(or at least very close to it)as Anglagard, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, the fledgling Flower Kings and Ozric Tentacles. However, because of dissatisfaction and frustration with their record label(sony at the time)they broke up at a very crucial time in their career and splintered off into two other bands(Finneaus Gauge and Still which became Always Almost). They were on the verge of being a big time second or third generation prog band(along with PT, SB and TFK)but because of the split it never quite happened and they lost their momentum. Still, they were nonetheless a big 90's prog band regardless. Anglagard could have been even bigger than they were for similar reasons but like Echolyn are still fairly legendary "90's" prog band. Echolyn of course did eventually reform a few years later but their sound changed and became somewhat more mainstream sounding although mei was sort of their "thick as a brick" in a way since it was a very obvious full blown prog album(with one track taking up the whole album). So yeah they could have been bigger and should be more well known but it's not like they are unknown among most knowledgeable prog fans. In fact you could say the same about a lot of modern prog bands. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2020 at 13:54
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 09:36

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's really hard to say. I do believe at one point in the 90's they were as well known(or at least very close to it)as Anglagard, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, the fledgling Flower Kings and Ozric Tentacles. However, because of dissatisfaction and frustration with their record label(sony at the time)they broke up at a very crucial time in their career and splintered off into two other bands(Finneaus Gauge and Still which became Always Almost). They were on the verge of being a big time second or third generation prog band(along with PT, SB and TFK)but because of the split it never quite happened and they lost their momentum. Still, they were nonetheless a big 90's prog band regardless. Anglagard could have been even bigger than they were for similar reasons but like Echolyn are still fairly legendary "90's" prog band. Echolyn of course did eventually reform a few years later but their sound changed and became somewhat more mainstream sounding although mei was sort of their "thick as a brick" in a way since it was a very obvious full blown prog album(with one track taking up the whole album). So yeah they could have been bigger and should be more well known but it's not like they are unknown among most knowledgeable prog fans. In fact you could say the same about a lot of modern prog bands. 

Yeah! that`s true Echolyn imho are very underrated now...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Cowboy poems is a favorite

Me Too!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 04:01
I don't know if everyone here can access this Facebook post on August 1 by Christopher Buzby:

If you can't read it, it says in part "So proud & excited for where our new echolyn album is headed. We're currently aiming for an end-of-the-year release ..."
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 05:02
^Good news! Thanks for posting.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 06:20

Have not seen a appreciation topic on Echolyn. Great American prog band. Any fans out there? The End is Beautiful and Mei are my favorites. However, all other releases are great and the DVD Stars and Gardens is incredible. 

Makes sense that your love for the latest Bubblemath LP has brought you back to Echolyn!

End and Mei were my intros to the band but they did little for me, so I had trouble digging deeper. But now I've gotten to know Suffocating the Bloom and find myself in absolute awe and love with that album! Very sophisticated, intricate compositions pulled off so smoothly and beautifully! Might even get me to try some others (again)--though this one's gonna stay on the top playlist for some time.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 06:35
Just checked my last.fm All time Top Artists list and Echolyn is 4th.

Just behind (1) Beatles, Bob Dylan (2) and Yes (3).

They're that great IMO!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 07:12

To give you an idea of the profit Amazon is making, I have my books available online either directly from the distributing company and also on Amazon (besides them being available at some physical bookstores).

The retail price of the book is 28.50 euros (officially 30.00 but every platform offers 5% discount as default).

When a book is sold through the distribution company I get 9 euros per book.
When a book is sold through Amazon I get 1.2 euros per book.

That's the difference, Amazon are pirates! But the distribution company is an obscure Spanish company, so everybody looking for the book online finds it first on Amazon and they buy it there. Sales through the distribution company are almost non-existent.
People see that the retail price is the same so they just think "I'l order through Amazon, it's easier and delivery is fast" (and people with Prime may get free shipping). But they can not see the huge difference it makes for the author or artist.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 08:31
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Makes sense that your love for the latest Bubblemath LP has brought you back to Echolyn!

End and Mei were my intros to the band but they did little for me, so I had trouble digging deeper. But now I've gotten to know Suffocating the Bloom and find myself in absolute awe and love with that album! Very sophisticated, intricate compositions pulled off so smoothly and beautifully! Might even get me to try some others (again)--though this one's gonna stay on the top playlist for some time.

Glad your enjoying some Echolyn!

Actually I was listening to Echolyn before Bubblemath. They both are very different musically, all they share in common is both are from USA.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 03 2022 at 08:50
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 14:02
Thinking about this band only yesterday as well as playing something. New stuff is very exciting news indeed.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 14:05
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I don't know if everyone here can access this Facebook post on August 1 by Christopher Buzby:

If you can't read it, it says in part "So proud & excited for where our new echolyn album is headed. We're currently aiming for an end-of-the-year release ..."

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>