Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Echolyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Echolyn
    Posted: January 13 2020 at 15:18
Have not seen a appreciation topic on Echolyn. Great American prog band. Any fans out there? The End is Beautiful and Mei are my favorites. However, all other releases are great and the DVD Stars and Gardens is incredible. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 15:52
Yep, I live in the Philly area so I have seen them live on a few occasions. I even interviewed them once. They are overdue for a new album but the last one was pretty good. Great US prog band that helped "save" prog in the 90's.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 17:51
^Lucky you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 18:08
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Lucky you.

Yep. A fine bunch of guys too. I even hung out with them backstage and drank beer with them once when I volunteered at a prog music festival they played at. No, I'm not bragging. The important thing is the music. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 13 2020 at 18:09
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 18:46
Great band
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 20:06
Fourth favorite band of all time.

I've interviewed Kull once:

And I spoke to him again over the phone a few summers ago.  Nothing formal.  Just an hour or so of friendly conversation and he answered some things I'd been curious about regarding their work.  Truly, he sounded more excited to hear from me than I was to be on the phone with him. 

Edited by Epignosis - January 13 2020 at 20:06
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 20:07
I like their music. I hope they find some better juices than the last album.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 20:41
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

And I spoke to him again over the phone a few summers ago.  Nothing formal.  Just an hour or so of friendly conversation and he answered some things I'd been curious about regarding their work.  Truly, he sounded more excited to hear from me than I was to be on the phone with him. 

Glad to see you posting Mr Skeletor.......this site needs more of you here.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 23:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Glad to see you posting Mr Skeletor.......this site needs more of you here.

I've been around a little bit here and there.  My priorities are different than they were ten years ago (three kids, mortgage, etc. etc.), but I still love the music.

Been listening to a lot of RUSH lately.  Sad news.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 23:55
A band I only discovered very late and now I dream that they may release an extensive box set. All I have is a 2 CD 'Best of' in my collection. I would love to get their albums on CD but they are either out of print or just too expensive sadly.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:01
^ Actually I might have been a little wrong as the first 2 albums are available for a reasonable price so I've placed an order. Happy days!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:23
I prefer their earlier work, before they streamlined their sound a bit. But overall a great band. Suffocating The Bloom is a true classic. Love As The World, Mei, and The End Is Beautiful as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Actually I might have been a little wrong as the first 2 albums are available for a reasonable price so I've placed an order. Happy days!

Out of curiosity...where is this? I'd love to get a copy of their debut. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 05:24
Chris Buzby's Facebook page has mentioned a number of writing sessions they've had for a new album. I think they've been working on it going back to 2018. Chris is a really great guy. He posts a lot of puns that make you cringe and laugh at the same time.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:30

A band I only discovered very late and now I dream that they may release an extensive box set. All I have is a 2 CD 'Best of' in my collection. I would love to get their albums on CD but they are either out of print or just too expensive sadly.
Amazon.co.uk has The End is Beautiful, As the World, Mei and I Heard You Listening at decent prices.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:41
One of the few second/third generation symphonic bands I really like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 07:17

Amazon.co.uk has The End is Beautiful, As the World, Mei and I Heard You Listening at decent prices.

Very reasonable prices on the synphonic website also(synphonicmusic.com). Just go to the USA section then Echolyn.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 23:52
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Out of curiosity...where is this? I'd love to get a copy of their debut. 

weirdly there are 2 albums called Echolyn . It appears I have ordered the second one but Amazon incorrectly lists it on the summary page as 1991 but it's actually the 2012 version I have ordered. Confused.com!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 23:55

Indeed you are correct but as I have Suffocating the Bloom and Echolyn (2012) on order I will stick with that for the moment
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 11:31
Again I hope you guys order from prog vendors(like the one I mentioned above) when possible and not major corporations like amazon who already get billions from everyone else. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 15 2020 at 11:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>