Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Procol Harum Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Procol Harum album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.63%]
9 [28.13%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
4 [12.50%]
6 [18.75%]
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Procol Harum Album
    Posted: January 27 2020 at 15:47
I only have two double CD compilations by Procol Harum and I've never heard any of their studio albums, so it'll be interesting to see which album receives the most votes. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 16:14
I like the  first 5 about the same but I suppose Shine On Brightly if I have to pick one the most.
But that can change depending on mood.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 16:56
Haven't heard them all, but I will pick Exotic Birds,as I like every single song.
Shake & bake.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 17:12
This is the only time I can't vote in my own poll because I don't know any of the albums. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 27 2020 at 17:12
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 17:33
first album was the best
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:13
Voting for the debut, even though Procol Harum is one of my favourite bands of all time, so hard to choose.   Every one has shining moments for me. But that was the first time I heard them, so going for that. 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:21
In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972), with the incendiary version of "Conquistador"...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:23
That was fantastic.  Just a wonderful performance.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:39
The video has just convinced me that "In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" is the best Procol Harum album. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:36
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Voting for the debut, even though Procol Harum is one of my favourite bands of all time, so hard to choose.   Every one has shining moments for me. But that was the first time I heard them, so going for that. 

they were my first "serious" band, and the debut was my first "serious" album.  It' also somewhat atypical, being more ballad oriented than a lot of the later albums.  But the thoughtful and clever lyrics and mix of piano and organ were already in abundance.  I no longer consider Procol to be one of my favorites but they do hold a special place as the first
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972), with the incendiary version of "Conquistador"...

superb, but I don't really much care for the rest of the album
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:43
Grand Hotel gets my vote.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 21:40
The live album is excellent, but grand Hotel gets my vote.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 23:46
The Edmonton Symphony album is the one I've owned for a long time. I was hoping for a more expanded re-issue than was put out so that was a shame but the original album is just about perfect. BTW Shine On Brightly was released the same week as The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis and both albums featured a side long composition. Prog rock was up and running! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The video has just convinced me that "In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" is the best Procol Harum album. Smile
No. Itīs Shine On Brighly (In Held in it is just masterpiece, better than that concert-version). Paul, itīs the album you MUST hear. Anyway I really like all the Procol-albums at least a bit, Prodical Stranger is the weakest, Broken Barricades from the sixties/seventies albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

No. Itīs Shine On Brighly (In Held in it is just masterpiece, better than that concert-version). Paul, itīs the album you MUST hear. Anyway I really like all the Procol-albums at least a bit, Prodical Stranger is the weakest, Broken Barricades from the sixties/seventies albums.

You're right. I really must listen to ALL of Procol Harum's albums, eventually. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:55

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

You're right. I really must listen to ALL of Procol Harum's albums, eventually. Smile
Well, you can leave those "reunion"-albums out, well maybe except the last one, itīs quite good. But listen at least Shine. & Grand Hotel.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:19
I was always only into the MkI line-up with Fisher & Trower... As the other members gradually disappeared , I kind of lost interest but the albums (Home, Barricades)still have stand-out tracks.

The MkII line-up starts with the Edmonton Symphony (which is great), but I simply can't get into the rest of their discography, despite Brooker & Reid and one of the best drummer around that stayed until the end: BJ Wilson.

I'll vote for the debut, but the US version that contains WSoP (I understand the UK version didn't), but their best overall id SOB with the sidelong epic and Moonbeams.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:39
I really love Exotic Birds and Fruit above all others. One great song after another.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'll vote for the debut, but the US version that contains WSoP (I understand the UK version didn't), 
Just watched the first album pressings from Discogs, itīs quite amazed there was only one pressing of first album in the UK in the sixties! So the album probably wasnīt huge seller. But whatīs more amazing in German pressing there was Homburg added, also different track order & "Good Captain Clack" missing!

Edited by Mortte - January 28 2020 at 04:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>