Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:55
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:52
she has a prog soul, and when she hits the high notes I'm transformed

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 07:01
I was really into this guy some years back and saw him live a couple of times, where felt like I was simmering in his stew (it helped that I was in the second row)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:54
Ironically, this is Dead Can Dance Live. Smile

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 23:16
I know he's British, but Ian Anderson (and Jethro Tull) after touring India for the first time with Jethro Tull was influenced so much that he (and they released) 2 world music inspired albums in the same year (1995):

The vocals are less than great on Roots, but most of the music is superb. World (Rock) Music.

As for Twelve Dances...Anderson doesn't sing, which is what he should have done for the past 25 years!
To me it is a masterpiece, and Andy Giddings' contribution on keyboards is monumental. World (Classical) Music.

Edited by BarryGlibb - January 29 2020 at 23:18
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 01:22
Found this some years ago, really loved it:

Mulatu is also really great:

And Queen & King of Mali:

Edited by Mortte - January 30 2020 at 01:29
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 06:14
Hi,

Strange to see Alan Stivell mentioned here in this particular spot ... I always thought he fit better in a "progressive' context, since he mixes, jazz, rock, classical and the traditional so well, and beautifully so ... and "Pop Plinn" is sort of the rock version of his style ... but the saddest thing of all, is that he is not remembered as "Celtic" ... because we think that Enya invented it ... and a Frenchman can not be Celtic ... though most of the Celts in France were almost wiped out by the French courts (if I am interpreting that correctly!) ... while the one up north, managed to survive ... but the French version became better defined as "Breton" (from Brittany), which kinda changes the outlook of it. 

But there are other things I listen to ... OREGON, the band has a lot of World Music in its catalog and I am thinking (don't have the stuff!) that Glen Moore and many of those folks, even if in ECM, were involved in a lot of what became known as "World Music" ... by the way they put things together and matched up different musical elements ...

Little Wolf Band ... Tulku and others that showed up in a label called "Triloka" 30 years ago, had some really far out stuff, and it was experimental, but mostly ... it was folks from a lot of different places around the world ... 

Ali Akbar Khan, Jai Uttal, Jeff Beal are some of the folks I found listed ... although it looks like some of this stuff might not be easy to get ... but at least Tulku and Little Wolf Band ... are worth having in your collection ... all of these are far out!

Edited by moshkito - January 30 2020 at 06:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 07:02

Passion: Peter Gabriel Music from the move The Last Temptation of Christ
Album released in 1989

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. The Feeling Begins (4:00)
2. Gethsemane (1:23)
3. Of These, Hope (4:05)
4. Lazarus Raised (0:36)
5. Of These, Hope (Reprise) (1:06)
6. In Doubt (2:07)
7. A Different Drum (6:05)
8. Zaar (4:44)
9. Troubled (2:46)
10. Open (3:18)
11. Before Night Falls (2:16)
12. With This Love (3:36)
13. Sandstorm (2:55)
14. Stigmata (2:24)
15. Passion (7:36)
16. With This Love [Choir] (3:19)
17. Wall of Breath (2:25)
18. The Promise of Shadows (2:12)
19. Disturbed (3:07)
20. It Is Accomplished (3:30)
21. Bread and Wine (2:23)

Total Time: 65:53

Line-up / Musicians

- Peter Gabriel / vocals, synths (Prophet 5, Fairlight, Roland D50), samplers (Akai S900, Emulator), piano (12,20), flute (2), whistle (3,5), percussion, bass (3,5), double bass (21), computer Fx (6-8,12,18), producer & mixing

With:
- Baaba Maal / vocals (5)
- Youssou N'Dour / vocals (7,15)
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan / vocals-qawwali style (15)
- Julian Wilkins / vocals-choir boy (15)
- David Rhodes / guitar, ebow (17,21)
- David Sancious / synthesizer & synthesizer arrangements (12), Hammond (20), backing vocals (7,9)
- David Bottrill / tambourine (18,20), slide guitar (20), engineer & mixing
- Antranik Askarian / Armenian doudouk (1)
- Vatche Housepian / Armenian doudouk (1)
- Kudsi Erguner / ney (11,17)
- Jon Hassell / trumpet (15)
- Richard Evans / tin whistle (21)
- Robin Canter / oboe (12) , cor Anglais (12,16)
- The Musicians of the Nile / arghul (17)
- Lakshmir Shankar / double violin (1,3,5,7,8,10), vocals (10)
- Mahmoud Tabrizi Zadeh / kemenché (6,8,13,14)
- Manny Elias / surdo & octobans (1)
- Hossam Ramzy / tabla (1,8,11,13,19), tambourine, triangle, finger cymbals, dufs
- Nathan East / bass (8,20)
- Fatala / percussion (5,7), African percussion (19)
- Manu Katche / percussion (13)
- Billy Cobham / percussion (9,20), drums (9,18)
- Djalma Correa / Brazilian percussion (15)
- Massamba Diop / talking drum (3,5)
- Said Mohammad Aly / percussion (19)
- Mustafa Abdel Aziz / arghul (3,5,20), percussion (19)
- Doudou N'Daiye Rose / percussion (7)

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Strange to see Alan Stivell mentioned here in this particular spot ... I always thought he fit better in a "progressive' context, since he mixes, jazz, rock, classical and the traditional so well, and beautifully so ... and "Pop Plinn" is sort of the rock version of his style ... but the saddest thing of all, is that he is not remembered as "Celtic" ... because we think that Enya invented it ... and a Frenchman can not be Celtic ... though most of the Celts in France were almost wiped out by the French courts (if I am interpreting that correctly!) ... while the one up north, managed to survive ... but the French version became better defined as "Breton" (from Brittany), which kinda changes the outlook of it. 
  At least among harp players, Alan Stivell is widely credited for bringing Celtic music and the harp in particular, back into fashion with his first recording in 1964 and then his extremely popular "Renaissance of the Celtic Harp," in 1971.  This predates Enya by a long shot, although assuredly she has a much wider audience, although Clannad was formed in the early 70's as well, around the time of the previously mentioned "Renaissance of the Celtic Harp."  Alan certainly was one of the first of the Celtic-based performers to really begin stretching the boundaries of what was being done at the time, and as you said, beautifully so.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Album released in 1989

Songs / Tracks Listing
<p style="padding-left: 5px;">1. The Feeling Begins (4:00)
2. Gethsemane (1:23)
3. Of These, Hope (4:05)
4. Lazarus Raised (0:36)
5. Of These, Hope (Reprise) (1:06)
6. In Doubt (2:07)
7. A Different Drum (6:05)
8. Zaar (4:44)
9. Troubled (2:46)
10. Open (3:18)
11. Before Night Falls (2:16)
12. With This Love (3:36)
13. Sandstorm (2:55)
14. Stigmata (2:24)
15. Passion (7:36)
16. With This Love [Choir] (3:19)
17. Wall of Breath (2:25)
18. The Promise of Shadows (2:12)
19. Disturbed (3:07)
20. It Is Accomplished (3:30)
21. Bread and Wine (2:23)

Total Time: 65:53

Line-up / Musicians <p style="padding-left: 5px;">- Peter Gabriel / vocals, synths (Prophet 5, Fairlight, Roland D50), samplers (Akai S900, Emulator), piano (12,20), flute (2), whistle (3,5), percussion, bass (3,5), double bass (21), computer Fx (6-8,12,18), producer & mixing

With:
- David Rhodes / guitar, ebow (17,21)
- David Sancious / synthesizer & synthesizer arrangements (12), Hammond (20), backing vocals (7,9)
- David Bottrill / tambourine (18,20), slide guitar (20), engineer & mixing
- Richard Evans / tin whistle (21)
- Hossam Ramzy / tabla (1,8,11,13,19), tambourine, triangle, finger cymbals, dufs
- Billy Cobham / percussion (9,20), drums (9,18)

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 09:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

she has a prog soul, and when she hits the high notes I'm transformed

never cease to amaze me

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 12:00
Huun-Huur-Tu, "Spirits of Tuva". I was inspired to buy this after reading Richard Feinman's "Tuva or Bust!" book. Great read, btw.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 16:26
YANNI - Tribute (Live At The Forbidden City)
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 17:06
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 17:28
Ben Aindi Habibi, performed by Mary Fahl:  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 20:22
Rabih Abou-Khalil

Edited by BaldJean - February 11 2020 at 20:28

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 20:35
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Huun-Huur-Tu, "Spirits of Tuva". I was inspired to buy this after reading Richard Feinman's "Tuva or Bust!" book. Great read, btw.

I saw a Tuvan singing group at the Richmond Folk Festival last year. It was great. Then a month later saw the Hu (Mongolian folk metal). They incorporate throat singing in their music.

I recommend the documentary Ghengis Blues, about a blind blues artist who teaches himself to sing in that style.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 21:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Album released in 1989

With:

When that album came out, of what I still think it a great film, the first thing I did was go after the names listed here ... and making sure I did not look at all the others, who had already been there.

Some of the folks listed, were already widely known in their circles, although their inclusion here, was a bit ... a nice gesture ... but I don't think it was for their musicality. As an example, I had a complete Jon Hassell by that time, as I had the listing of folks that were released through Eno's workshop.

But "world music" was already there, and I had already included about 20 or 30 Hindu folks in my listing 10 years before PG woke up from his slumber! It had started for me, when Ravi Shankar all of a sudden is plying with everyone in America, regardless of what kind of music it was ... and his family/school is HUGE!

The other grouping is the German link in "krautrock" via Agitation Free and others, and a few of the folks that were involved in it that were from other places ... something that we were not used to before ... but even though AF is mostly electronic, it has threads of world music as inspiration and side effects which for me kinda ruined things ... I wanted to hear more of it. There were others ... and various bands that had the mix of unusual instruments and material from elsewhere ... a search from bands from India will also get you a huge listing ... although I am not sure that a lot of it will be listed here.

Another example ... Sheila Chandra ... been listening to her for almost 40 years, and following the musicians around her ... 

It all depends on how open you are to different material ... this stuff has been there for many years ... but as an article in a place of music, it all seems like new, different music, when in fact it is older than the stuff that we listen to ... the hybrid mixes in Brazil, Argentina and Chile ... are insanely good, but no one looks at them as "world music"!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 02:20

Edited by Sean Trane - February 12 2020 at 02:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 05:23
^^ I've been out, but now I'm back. and I just found four great videos by Outback. Thanks! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>