Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Releases January 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Releases January 2020
    Posted: February 01 2020 at 18:36

It’s a New Year and time for new discoveries and another round of new releases.  There will be something new for the list this time around, thanks to Tapfret for the suggestion and the fact that he did this a few years back when he was creating a monthly list.  I’m going to try to make hyperlinks that you can easily click on to visit the page for either the band or the album.  Click on the band name and you will go to the band’s page.  Click on the album title and you’ll go to the album page.

With that being said, here is the list for January 2020. 

Thoughts Factory“Elements”   Progressive Metal    Released 1/15

Sons of Apollo“MMXX”  Progressive Metal     Released 1/17

Three Wise Monkeys“Isolation” EP    Crossover Prog    Released 1/17

Nektar“The Other Side”   Psychedelic/Space Rock    Released 1/24

Cary Grace“Lady of Turquoise”   Psychedelic/Space Rock    Released 1/31

Lotus Thief“Oresteia”    Experimental/Post Metal    Released 1/10

Oresund Space Collective“Experiments in the Subconscious”   Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/30

Overworld Dreams“Gateway”    Neo-prog   Released 1/13

Karfagen“Birds of Passage”    Symphonic Prog    Released 1/3

Final Conflict – “The Rise of the Artisan”   Neo-prog   Released 1/15

Good NightOwl“Liars”   Eclectic Prog    Released 1/1

Yuri Gagarin“The Outskirts of Reality”   Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/31

Ekos“Instinto”  Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/1

Seconds Before Landing“Cosmonaut”   Crossover Prog    Released 1/2

David Cross – “David Cross & Peter Banks: Crossover”   Jazz/Rock Fusion   Released 1/17

Soniq Theater“Fortune Tunes    Crossover Prog    Released 1/1

Hibernal“Beyond”    Post/Math Rock    Released 1/20

65daysofstatic“Tempo Heavy” EP   Post/Math Rock    Released 1/1

In Continuum“You Don’t Know How it Feels” EP   Crossover Prog   Released 1/7

Jane“50”   Heavy Prog    Released 1/10

Roz Vitalis“Daybreaking Live”    RIO/Avant prog   Released 1/10

Field Music“Making a New World”   Crossover prog   Released 1/10

Phrozenlight“Moon Streams”    Progressive Electronic    Released 1/12

M-Opus“Origins”   Symphonic prog   Released 1/13

Dave Kerzner“XYZ: A Tribute to Rush”   Crossover prog   Released 1/12

Cairo“Alive in Holland”   Crossover prog    Released 1/24

Johnny Bob“Hunted By a Caproid” EP   Neo-prog   Released 1/15

Thematic“Skyrunner”    Heavy prog    1/31

Cody Carpenter“Control”   Jazz/rock fusion    Released 1/17

Mythic Sunship“Changing Shapes (Live at Roadburn)”   Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/17 (digital), 1/24 (vinyl, CD)

Qualia“Lost”    Post/Math rock    Released 1/9

E-Musikgruppe Lux Ohr“Non Plus Ultra”    Progressive electronic   Released 1/31

Magnum“The Serpent Rings”   Prog-related    Released 1/17

John Zorn“Beyond Good and Evil: Simulacrum Live”    RIO/Avant prog   Released 1/27

Thy Catafalque“Naiv”   Experimental/Post Metal   Released 1/24

Cthulhu Rise“Last”   RIO/Avant prog    Released 1/23

Os Mutantes“Zzyzx”  Psychedelic/Space rock    Released 1/24

Handwrist“Pandora”    Psychedelic/Space rock   Released 1/19

Transcendence“Nothing Etched in Stone”    Progressive Metal   Released 1/28

Caspian“On Circles”   Post/Math rock   Released 1/24

The Monroe Transfer“An End”   Post/Math rock    Released 1/31

Phrozenlight“A Sonic Experiment”   Progressive Electronic   Released 1/19

Phrozenlight“Into the Forest”   Progressive Electronic    Released 1/31

OOIOO“Nijimusi”   RIO/Avant Prog    Released 1/17

Squarepusher“Be Up a Hello”   Jazz/Rock Fusion  Released 1/31

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard“Live in Adelaide ‘19”  Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/10

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard“Live in Paris ‘19”  Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/10

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – “Live in Brussels  ‘19”  Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/15

White Chameleon – “Beyond the Gate of Tannhauser”  Neo-prog   Released 1/17

Marsyas“Emergence   Heavy Prog   Released 1/17

Tricot“Makkuro”   Post/Math Rock   Released 1/29

Dave Brons“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost”   Crossover   Released 1/6

Epic Tantrum“Abandoned in the Stranger’s Room”   Eclectic Prog   Released 1/20

Ryr“left fallow”   Experimental/ Post Metal   Released 1/10

Tim Hodgkinson – “Under the Void”   RIO/Avant Prog   Released 1/?

OVNI“Personajes…Out of the Window”  Neo-prog   Released 1/1

Nero di Marte“Immoto”   Experimental/Post Metal    Released 1/24

Childwood“Opalessence”   Eclectic Prog    Released 1/12

Babal“Frank’s Lament”  EP   Crossover Prog   Released 1/16

The Old Man and The Sea“Never Too Late”  EP   Crossover Prog   Released 1/26

Tyler Kamen“Voyage Through the Intermediate State”  Psychedelic/Space Rock  Released 1/3

John Battema“Between the Axiom and the Sigh”  Progressive Electronic  Released 1/1

Aiming for Enrike - “Music for Working Out”   Post/Math Rock   Released 1/10

Sunhillow“Eloise Borealis”    Crossover Prog   Released 1/24

Tom Slatter“An Experiment Too Far”   Crossover Prog   Released 1/4

The Band Whose Name is a Symbol“Berserkir Volume 1”   Psychedelic/Space Rock   Released 1/31

Jack o’ the Clock – “No Outlet (Volume 1: 2007-2013)” EP Progressive Folk    Released 1/7

ZIO“Flower Torania”   Neo-prog    Released 1/25

Ian Parry“In Flagrante Delicto”  Progressive Metal   Released 1/20

Besides“Bystanders”   Post/Math Rock   Released 1/27

United Bible Studies“Three Barrows Round”  Progressive Folk    Released 1/23

Brian Eno“Brian Eno, Laurie Anderson & Ebe Oke – Dokument #2”  Progressive Electronic  Released 1/15

Akenanthon“Como Hormigas”  Crossover Prog  Released 1/1

Tangerine Dream“Live at Reims Cathedral 1974”  Progressive Electronic  1/16

Bass Invaders“Everybody Good Luck”  Heavy Prog  1/21

Chester Gorilla“Chester Gorilla”  Jazz/Rock Fusion  1/8

(Updated January 4, 2021)

There is some good stuff in there and, as usual, I didn’t get to hear it all yet.  But I have to call attention to my favorite for the month with was Good NightOwl – “Liars”.  There are several honorable mentions, but that was my only 5-star rating for the month so far. 

If there are any others, I will add them later.

Edit - Add in Cary Grace - "Lady of Turquoise" as another 5-star favorite of the month!  Awesome album that mixes both psychedelia and structure, even becoming highly accessible in some spots.  It's a perfect Psychedelic/Space Rock album!

Edited by TCat - January 04 2021 at 14:36

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 20:45
Much appreciation for your new release posts. Thanks for bringing attention to Good Nightowl. Amazing self-produced works. Had not heard of him until I read your review.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 21:20
Great list! Glad you're making these. Definitely useful. Of course i'll never hear most of this :(

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 22:33
Wow. And here I thought I was doing a good job keeping up with releases. lol 

Great work. Thanks again. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 23:15
One of these days I might finally understand why a list of last months releases is posted at the beginning of a new month. Tongue
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:13
I just listened that Os Mutantes new album. As the reviewer in PA, I was really disappointed of it. Really sounding it has made cheap, but most of the songs are also really mediocre. I quite have liked their two earlier albums after their reunion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:40
The Sons Of Apollo album is excellent. I've just received Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams . Not on the list but I think that may be a January release. Didn't know about the Dave Kerzner or In Continuum releases so will certainly check those out.
Thanks
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:44
Also I think should be added to the list:

Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings (BBC sessions 1970-1972)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Wheeling , West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast (2 CD)

Edited by richardh - February 02 2020 at 00:45
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 09:05
Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams was released on CD in December 2019 according to Discogs and Amazon.
Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings was released in January 2020, but is an unofficial release, so it's questionable as to whether it should be added.  I tend to leave those off the list.
ELP - Wheeling West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast was also released in Jan of 2020, but is also unofficial.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate when anyone tells me about something that may have been missed.  I always check out any suggestions, so don't be afraid to post them.  I do miss things, so it is helpful.

Thank you richardh

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 09:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

One of these days I might finally understand why a list of last months releases is posted at the beginning of a new month. Tongue

Ahhh yes, it would be great to have a new release list for the month ahead.  I only make this list to summarize what was released in the previous month, but it also helps me catch some of those new releases that were somehow missed on the Archives during the previous month.  Maybe someone with more time could do one of those lists, but the problem is, it would never be complete as many times, release dates are tentative and some self-released albums don't have release dates, they just appear when the artist wants them to.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams was released on CD in December 2019 according to Discogs and Amazon.
Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings was released in January 2020, but is an unofficial release, so it's questionable as to whether it should be added.  I tend to leave those off the list.
ELP - Wheeling West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast was also released in Jan of 2020, but is also unofficial.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate when anyone tells me about something that may have been missed.  I always check out any suggestions, so don't be afraid to post them.  I do miss things, so it is helpful.

Thank you richardh

Yeah I was going by Amazon UK for the TD release date (31.1.20) but the US site has an earlier date.

I'm interested in how you check whether something is unofficial. Admittedly I don't know the record labels those 2 albums were released on. I guess Amazon doesn't care whether they are unofficial?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 00:35
OOIOO released Nijimusi in January. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

OOIOO released Nijimusi in January. 

Good catch.  It wasn't even entered in their discography yet in PA.  I will add it to the list and to PA right now.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 18:43
You always make my day better with these lists. Many albums I didn't know about, so thank you very much, once again.

Edited by Manuel - February 03 2020 at 18:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:15
According to Discogs OOIOO nijimusi was released on 10 oct 2019 on CD in japan and 2020 digitally
it says it was an advanced release in japan only
should we change the release date to 2019?

https://www.discogs.com/OOIOO-Nijimusi/release/14265497

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 03 2020 at 19:16

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

According to Discogs OOIOO nijimusi was released on 10 oct 2019 on CD in japan and 2020 digitally
it says it was an advanced release in japan only
should we change the release date to 2019?

https://www.discogs.com/OOIOO-Nijimusi/release/14265497

I noticed that too but I couldn't verify it anywhere else, so I put (US) in parent.....parenthes..... in those thingys.

Changed the release date, but I'll leave it on this list because most people weren't able to hear it until now, and it will maybe get put on AOTY list for 2020.

Edited by TCat - February 04 2020 at 08:55

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:24

Ahhh yes, it would be great to have a new release list for the month ahead.  I only make this list to summarize what was released in the previous month, but it also helps me catch some of those new releases that were somehow missed on the Archives during the previous month.  Maybe someone with more time could do one of those lists, but the problem is, it would never be complete as many times, release dates are tentative and some self-released albums don't have release dates, they just appear when the artist wants them to.

Thanks for explaining. Are you familiar with the new prog releases blog? They often announce upcoming prog releases. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/p/2019.html
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:25

Thanks for explaining. Are you familiar with the new prog releases blog? They often announce upcoming prog releases. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/p/2019.html

Yes, I often look there to verify releases and catch up on releases.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 22:02
New Squarepusher that i just added

Released 31 Jan 2020

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 03 2020 at 22:03

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 08:54
^added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>