Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - Early Years (Box-Set)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - Early Years (Box-Set)
    Posted: February 12 2020 at 04:26
Holy schickels

How this managed to slip by me at the time of it’s release what 3 years ago is quite simply flabbergastingly weird! How is that even remotely possible I keep asking myself...most especially now digging into Dramatis-ation (1969).
Ever since the mid 90s I’ve been wanting something like this box-set, because I knew that there were tons of Floyd material all over the net...well in those days it wasn’t exactly the net that taught me this but more the vast array of bootleg cds I came across..often with recordings that far too often were missing the gentle hand of a great sound engineer or merely taken from the original masters.

I have only just received 4 of these archival releases but wanted to make a dedicated thread about them even so....that’s how much the first cd of Dramatis-ation spoke to me. Hell it literally flew me out of my socks!!
To me personally it sounds like a lost Floyd album from 69. It’s the flow of things and the ulterior versions of tracks you already know...but they become something ‘other’ through the sequence of tracks together with the overall atmosphere. The whole thing starts off gentle and rather in the vein of More’s more laidback shimmering early morning psych vibes...for then to slowly gather up speed and momentum and metamorphoses into the more space rocking Floyd.

The final live thang from Amsterdam is like they decided to throw a live album in for kicks...just like Ummagumma
In fact it sounds close to the kind of style and sound they were doing ca Ummagumma (only the sound quality is better on this)...but Floyd was never the type of band to play the same thing twice...at least around this stage of their career which, in essence, is why something like these archival releases are so damn interesting to a guy like me.

Do any of you own these badboys and what are your general thoughts about them? As mentioned previously I’m only really starting to dive down into this but am already over the moon about what I hear.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 12 2020 at 04:40
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 07:14
did you get the big box or just the individual smaller boxsets (they go by years)?

Personally, I chose the 68, 69, 70, 71 & 72

I didn't go for the bookslef ones: pre-68 and 73, which were not interesting my curiosity.

Edited by Sean Trane - February 12 2020 at 07:14
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 07:29
TCat reviews all these PF box sets.

In my opinion reviews would be more helpful than a thread in the forum (which sooner or later will be lost "behind" other threads).
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 07:48
I have all 6 box sets.  I too felt like my life had been leading up to this.  glad it happened in my lifetime Big smile

Back in the early 90s there was a box set ("Totally Eclipsed" or something like that) on a popular bootleg label called Great Dane Records - it contained 4 CDs of rare early Floyd stuff.  Back then, that was my Holy Grail.  It was good for then, but the stuff coming out these days takes the cake.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 07:59
of course we own them.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 08:41
If always heard FLoyd lost its true psychedelic soul before its debut album Piper and was a different beast in its live setting. Glad these have finally emerged. Just haven't wanted to fork out the dough yet. To be honest i'm Floyded out so in no hurry really but will get there eventually.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 12 2020 at 08:42

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:33
I don't have a single box set. Cry Am I missing something? Big smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:46
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

In my opinion reviews would be more helpful than a thread in the forum (which sooner or later will be lost "behind" other threads).

Thanks for mentioning that.  There is a lot of great stuff there, and I made it a point to compare the individual box set with the giant, inclusive box set mentioning what was missing in both.  I finally determined for myself at least, that I prefer the full box set, but I still have my favorite individual volumes, the first one being a definite stand out, but they all have some valuable stuff on them.  The biggest thing missing from getting the individual volumes is the rare volume 7 (included in the giant box set entitled "Continu/ation") which was apparently only seperately released in Japan, and is also missing the two DVD/Blu-ray disks which contain the full movies of "The Committee", "More" and "La Vallee".  These movies are available in the big box set.

Look at those reviews if you want to determine for yourself if you want to spring for the inclusive box set or if you only want individual volumes.  There is too much information there to include in a thread.

Edited by TCat - February 12 2020 at 09:59

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

TBH, I took most of those smaller box mainly for the DVD contents... Plenty to feast your eye-ear coordinationn and plenty educative.

Not included are the two Barbet Shroeder movies (More & La Vallée) and I believe that Pompeii is on the big-box-only bonus DVD 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

TBH, I took most of those smaller box mainly for the DVD contents... Plenty to feast your eye-ear coordinationn and plenty educative.

Not included are the two Barbet Shroeder movies (More & La Vallée) and I believe that Pompeii is on the big-box-only bonus DVD 

Thanks H. Being that my vision is pretty well shot I'll give it a pass.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:56

The big box does not have the 2016 mix of "Obscured By Clouds" album, but the individual volume "Obfusc/ation" does.  Pompeii is also in that individual volume as both an audio CD and as the movie, but it is missing the track "Mademoiselle Nobbs" and with "Echoes" "bridged" together on both of them and also missing on the big box set.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:59
No "Mademoiselle Nobbs"! Sacre bleu! Angry
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The big box does not have the 2016 mix of "Obscured By Clouds" album, but the individual volume "Obfusc/ation" does.  Pompeii is also in that individual volume as both an audio CD and as the movie, but it is missing the track "Mademoiselle Nobbs" and with "Echoes" "bridged" together on both of them and also missing on the big box set.
Yes, the Pompeii movie is the “Director’s Cut” which was used for the original DVD release, but is different from the original release on VHS. I prefer the original movie which had more shots of the band and fewer shots of geysers and such. I am thrilled to have the Pompeii music on audio CD though, as I don’t get around to DVDs very often.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 12 2020 at 10:56
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 11:50
I keep wondering about diving into this stuff, I've got the Cre/ation double CD which is very good, I'd like more but I don't want to get dragged in $100's in spending. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I keep wondering about diving into this stuff, I've got the Cre/ation double CD which is very good, I'd like more but I don't want to get dragged in $100's in spending. 
Yup, that's exactly how I feel. I'm really interested in all of the box sets but the money...yikes.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:28
Once the money is gone and you have them in your collection, you don't think about it anymore. I decided not to buy at first but very glad I finally did...$300 well spent.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Holy schickels

How this managed to slip by me at the time of it’s release what 3 years ago is quite simply flabbergastingly weird! How is that even remotely possible I keep asking myself...most especially now digging into Dramatis-ation (1969).
Ever since the mid 90s I’ve been wanting something like this box-set, because I knew that there were tons of Floyd material all over the net...well in those days it wasn’t exactly the net that taught me this but more the vast array of bootleg cds I came across..often with recordings that far too often were missing the gentle hand of a great sound engineer or merely taken from the original masters.

I have only just received 4 of these archival releases but wanted to make a dedicated thread about them even so....that’s how much the first cd of Dramatis-ation spoke to me. Hell it literally flew me out of my socks!!
To me personally it sounds like a lost Floyd album from 69. It’s the flow of things and the ulterior versions of tracks you already know...but they become something ‘other’ through the sequence of tracks together with the overall atmosphere. The whole thing starts off gentle and rather in the vein of More’s more laidback shimmering early morning psych vibes...for then to slowly gather up speed and momentum and metamorphoses into the more space rocking Floyd.

The final live thang from Amsterdam is like they decided to throw a live album in for kicks...just like Ummagumma
In fact it sounds close to the kind of style and sound they were doing ca Ummagumma (only the sound quality is better on this)...but Floyd was never the type of band to play the same thing twice...at least around this stage of their career which, in essence, is why something like these archival releases are so damn interesting to a guy like me.

Do any of you own these badboys and what are your general thoughts about them? As mentioned previously I’m only really starting to dive down into this but am already over the moon about what I hear.

David, my bro who loves food LOL..........If you want massive info and you have time, there is a 250+ page thread on the Later Years Box Set over on Hoffman forum, as well a shorter thread on the Early Years Box Set.
I can send you links if you like.....lemme know.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 13:49

Just remember that the Cre/ation set is kind of like a "best of" of the entire collection, so if you decide to get one of the others, you might get some duplication.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Just remember that the Cre/ation set is kind of like a "best of" of the entire collection, so if you decide to get one of the others, you might get some duplication.

That was my logic at the time, buy Cre/ation and I'd delay the feeling of wanting the bigger boxes due to duplication.

Apparently the effect is wearing off LOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Some of us enjoy the more social aspect of forum discussion, some like David have enjoyed doing both. I don't visit the reviews section or front page of this site all that often (unless it's some site business that needs doing) and likely would not learn about such things without the forum.

It's a bit like a book club, you could just read it then write/ read a review on it, but there's something satisfying for some kinds of people to rap it out with others. Reading someone's impressions or writing your own is such a different experience than discussing it with friends (be they online or offline).

A reason why I don't like writing reviews is because of the lack of feedback, and because it doesn't feel like a social activity for me. Of course David has written many fine reviews that I have read and have given me deeper insight and new perspective. I'm at this site mostly for the discussion and a certain sense of community, and for recs from people I know here who I trust cause I feel they "get" my tastes well (people like David have turned me on to such much great music thanks to their involvement with the site). It takes all kinds. I'm not into promotion so much, I like to share my interests with individuals whom I like and interest me and read their thoughts and expand my interests thanks to them. That said, there are some things I'd like to promote and raise awareness of with a wider audience, be it environmental concerns, or that little show I care about that I wish would get a wider audience (partially so there's a better chance more, or more like it, are made for own entertainment). Might be a better use of my time to write and try to shop my own scripts, though.

Anyway, heard about the Box Set before from a forum post, and will look into it, and plan to read TCat's reviews down the road (glad they were mentioned, but like with films I don't want to read too many spoilers as I often prefer my first impression not to be too influenced by others, and I want to discover those musical moments without expecting them). That's one reason why I tend to only look at ratings and very basic descriptions for albums and films that are new to me. I like to know enough that it's something that might interest me, but not so much that I lose a sense of surprise. Neat to read in-depth reviews after the fact for added insight and different perspectives.

Sorry I am posting while saying nothing about the box set and having little to say in many words. Carry on.

Edited by Logan - February 12 2020 at 15:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>