Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Pink Floyd Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 11:09
Latest poll update:-

1. Echoes (54 points)
2. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (48 points)
3. Dogs (46 points)
4. Atom Heart Mother (30 points)
5. Time (27 points)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 11:13
Originally posted by Grubert Grubert wrote:

Echoes is quite good, but is twice as long as necessary. Others I like very much are One of These Days, Time, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick in the Wall (yes, yes) and the wonderful Scream thy Last Scream.
Also some more not so famous stuff like When the Tigers Broke Free, Julia Dream, The Nile Song, Ibiza Bar, Cirrus Minor or Let There Be more Light.

Funny thing is that Animals was always and still is a pretty boring album for me. There is one of it which was good when played live in 1975 as Raving and Drooling. But the album version kinda loses everything which made it work.
Even more boring is nearly everything after Waters left.
If Echoes is too long for you, you may prefer the abridged 10-minute version from Pompeii. Smile

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 11:16

Echoes is quite good, but is twice as long as necessary.

What would you cut out? Hopefully not the Shepard tone.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:21
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

[QUOTE=Grubert]
If Echoes is too long for you, you may prefer the abridged 10-minute version from Pompeii. Smile

That's the complete version actually, only in 2 parts.

I think it simply goes on, like many Floyd tracks, far too long. I would like it more if the ideas were more compressed, maybe so about 12 or 15 min at all. Would be still a long track.

Sometimes shorter is better.

Shine on benefits from being released in 2 parts. My vote goes actually for part 1, which does not really need the 2nd part to work, and is perfect as it is. The 2nd part is in itself also good, but not as great as the first part.
But of course, I know they belong together.

The first part of Echoes, like in the Pompeii vid, feels on the other hand incomplete.
I prefer the live versions of Embryo to Echoes, even if that could be shortened too by 1 - 3 min. It is incredible that they never put Embryo on an album, especially as Atom Heart Mother and Meddle have some poor tracks on them. The 2nd BBC live version of Fat Old Sun is (despite being overlong too) so much better than the studio version. They could heave made a great album in 1970/71, instead of 2 flawed ones.

Edited by Grubert - February 24 2020 at 13:24
Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Echoes is quite good, but is twice as long as necessary.

What would you cut out? Hopefully not the Shepard tone.

What's the Shephard tone?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:25

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

[QUOTE=Grubert]

That's the complete version actually, only in 2 parts.

I think it simply goes on, like many Floyd tracks, far too long. I would like it more if the ideas were more compressed, maybe so about 12 or 15 min at all. Would be still a long track.

Sometimes shorter is better.

Shine on benefits from being released in 2 parts. My vote goes actually for part 1, which does not really need the 2nd part to work, and is perfect as it is. The 2nd part is in itself also good, but not as great as the first part.
But of course, I know they belong together.

The first part of Echoes, like in the Pompeii vid, feels on the other hand incomplete.
I prefer the live versions of Embryo to Echoes, even if that could be shortened too by 1 - 3 min. It is incredible that they never put Embryo on an album, especially as Atom Heart Mother and Meddle have some poor tracks on them. The 2nd BBC live version of Fat Old Sun is, despite being overlong too) so much better than the studio version. They could heave made a great album in 1970/71, instead of 2 flawed ones.
I prefer the full 25-minute-long version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Smile

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:57

What's the Shephard tone?

The Shepard tone is that perpetually rising tone that ends the track.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 14:31
1. Time
2. Echoes
3. Shine on
4. Us and them
5. Narrow way

Tried so hard to be different......
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 15:03
Latest poll update:-

1. Echoes (58 points)
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (51 points)
3. Dogs (46 points)
4. Time (33 points)
5. Atom Heart Mother (30 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 24 2020 at 15:04
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 16:35
Shine On Your Crazy Diamond
Comfortably Numb
Time
Dogs
Echoes
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 17:50
1. Have a cigar
2. Pigs (three different ones)
3. Money
4. The Narrow Way
5. See Emily Play
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 06:26
Latest poll update:-

1. Echoes (59 points)
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (57 points)
3. Dogs (48 points)
4. Time (36 points)

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 08:23
^ I'm a little surprised Echos in in the lead. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 08:28
I Prophesy Disaster and I both predicted that Echoes would win the poll, so I'm glad it's managed to retrain its lead just ahead of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 00:16
I'm more surprised that Atom Heart Mother is in the top five. Echoes is great but if feels like a completely different band made it. Floyd is one band that you could split their discography (up to 72 and then after) but probably best not to re-open that particular can of worms!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 01:50
^Me too! Over year ago I was in very small minority, when thinking Atom Heart is their best album. But, naturally I am glad it now has love! I am really glad also there´s three of my fav Floyd songs!

Edited by Mortte - February 26 2020 at 01:51
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 23:22
The track to end all tracks is 
Comfortably Numb
Echoes
Welcome to the Machine
Sheep
Money
although Dark Side is like one long song Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 04:35
Latest poll update, with TDFloyd's votes added:-

1. Echoes (63 points)
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (57 points)
3. Dogs (48 points)
4. Time (36 points)

Just under the radar:-

6. Comfortably Numb (26 points)

Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:19
Shine on you crazy diamond
Us and them
Sheep
Dogs
Welcome to machine.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:38
Just 5 ??
This could change on a daily basis......
Set The Controls.....(any live version)
Quicksilver
Atom Heart Mother
Shine on.....
Dogs

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 14 2020 at 07:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>