Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 20 Genesis songs. Voting #3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 20 Genesis songs. Voting #3
    Posted: February 26 2020 at 09:35
Top 20 Genesis Songs Project. #3

In this thread we're casting our votes for No. 3 greatest song in GENESIS history! Smile
We follow the method agreed upon here. Every participant names three songs in order of preference:
First song = 4.5 points
Second song = 3 points
Third song = 2 points
After a couple of days I do the math and announce a winner. We move on to vote for the next place.
All previous votes are reset at that point (they are not carried over from previous thread).

Voting is closed.
No. 3 song is... The Cinema Show !!!

01. The Cinema Show. 42.5 pts
02. The Musical Box. 26.0 pts
03. Watcher of the Skies. 8.5 pts
04. Dance on a Volcano. 7.5 pts
(and then three songs with six and a half points, each)

15 users cast their vote. Maxium points total is 67.5
The Cinema Show got 11 first place votes and won in a landslide!

~~~THE LIST~~~
3. The Cinema Show
4. to be continued

Edited by thief - July 03 2020 at 15:34
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 09:45
Just trying to get my head around this. I assumed the points from the first poll would determine what songs would be 1st, 2nd 3rd and so on, depending on their score. 

Oh, good luck with the medical procedure, I hope all goes well. 

Edited by Argo2112 - February 26 2020 at 12:11
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:16
^ yeah, so we're voting for all TOP 20 songs separately in different threads, as you see now :) but, within a single thread - in your post/vote - you name three songs. It makes for a bit more fair competition, i.e. Firth of Fifth won against The Cinema Show because it had additional 2nd/3rd place votes = more points.

Other way to look at it: you name a song for a #e spot (in this thread), but if it can't win, you name alternatives, which get smaller number of points.

Thank you for your concern, all should be fine! :)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:18
The Day the Light Went Out
Get 'Em Out By Friday
All In A Mouse's Night
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:23
My vote:

1. The Cinema Show [4.5 pts]
2. Can-Utility and the Coastliners [3.0 pts]
3. The Musical Box [2.0 pts]
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:25
OK, Here's my picks: 

1. Dance on a Volcano
  2. Cinema Show
  3. Behind the Lines

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:40
Here it comes again.....

1. The Musical Box (4.5 points)
2. The The Fountain of Salmacis (3 points)
3. Into the Cage (2 points)

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 26 2020 at 10:43

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 10:42
1. Duke's Travels/Duke's End
2. The Cinema Show
3. The Return of the Giant Hogweed
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

^ yeah, so we're voting for all TOP 20 songs separately in different threads, as you see now :) but, within a single thread - in your post/vote - you name three songs. It makes for a bit more fair competition, i.e. Firth of Fifth won against The Cinema Show because it had additional 2nd/3rd place votes = more points.

Other way to look at it: you name a song for a #e spot (in this thread), but if it can't win, you name alternatives, which get smaller number of points.

The only thing is, we end up voting for the same songs in each round, unless I've misunderstood the voting procedure I've voted for 1. Firth of Fith, 2. Watcher of the Skies & 3. The Musical Box, twice in a row now in the first two rounds. Now that Firth of Fifth is permanently fixed in place in the #2 slot, that simply means that Watcher of the Skies & The Musical Box have now moved up a place to become my #1 and #2 song choices.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2020 at 12:00
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 13:12
1) The Musical Box
2) Cinema Show
3) Watcher of the Skies
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 13:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The only thing is, we end up voting for the same songs in each round, unless I've misunderstood the voting procedure I've voted for 1. Firth of Fith, 2. Watcher of the Skies & 3. The Musical Box, twice in a row now in the first two rounds. Now that Firth of Fifth is permanently fixed in place in the #2 slot, that simply means that Watcher of the Skies & The Musical Box have now moved up a place to become my #1 and #2 song choices.

To some extent, it's true: if you don't change your mind one way or another, your votes might repeat themselves for couple of rounds (depends on your picks). While it looks weird on the surface, I've seen voters change their opinion slightly even in this series of polls (i.e. Watcher of the Skies got less recognition last round in comparison to #1 voting).
All in all, votes are one thing, but I'm always interested in reasonings more. I see some posters voting for far less popular songs and I'm genuinely curious what do they think about it. Even if someone is picking very standard tunes (like me), reasons can differ in every case. So I just hope we'll see more discussion going on here :)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 13:42

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

To some extent, it's true: if you don't change your mind one way or another, your votes might repeat themselves for couple of rounds (depends on your picks). While it looks weird on the surface, I've seen voters change their opinion slightly even in this series of polls (i.e. Watcher of the Skies got less recognition last round in comparison to #1 voting).
All in all, votes are one thing, but I'm always interested in reasonings more. I see some posters voting for far less popular songs and I'm genuinely curious what do they think about it. Even if someone is picking very standard tunes (like me), reasons can differ in every case. So I just hope we'll see more discussion going on here :)
I just wonder if all of the voters realise that we're allowed to choose the same Genesis songs over and over again in each round of voting. Anyway, here are my picks for Round 3:-

1. Watcher of the Skies
2. The Musical Box
3. The Cinema Show
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 21:53
1 Cinema Show
2 One For The Vine
3 The Musical Box
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 23:52
Rappel:

1. The Cinema Show (4.5 points)
2. The Musical Box (3 points)
3. Watcher of the Skies (2 points)

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 00:02
1. The Cinema Show
2. the Musical Box
3. Watcher Of The Skies
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 00:03
1. The Return Of Giant Hogweed
2. Dance On A Volcano
3. The Day The Light Went Out
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 01:19
1. Anyway
2. the Fountain Of Salmacis
3. Can-Utility and the Coastliners
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 01:27
1 - Cinema show
2 - Eleventh earl of Mar
3 - The musical box
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 11:04
Cinema Show
Get 'em out by Friday
Anyway
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 18:26
1. Cinema Show
2. Stagnation
3. The Musical Box
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>