Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reccomend similar Like Three Friends (song)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reccomend similar Like Three Friends (song)
    Posted: February 27 2020 at 15:37
Is there any song in the world of prog that is as a singular statment as strong as Three Friends by Gentle Giant. 3:00 minuttes of utter spinechill.

Is there any song in the world of popular music or prog that is as singularly a statement of musicianship and agreemant of what is real about a true composition of guitar, bass, drum, mellotron, hammond organ and choire?.

Edited by Icarium - February 27 2020 at 15:38
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 15:54
Killer song. Everyone gets spinechill's on occasion. Impossible to know what bands would do that for you.

Some mellotron suggestions that I'm sure you have heard..

Steven Wilson
All Traps on Earth
King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
Anekdoten
Wobbler
Cathedral

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 15:55
I would suggest "and you and I" by Yes, "firth of fifth" by Genesis, "Killer" by Van der Graaf Generator, "epitaph" by King Crimson. The list goes on and on. Also, there's Italian prog(PFM, Banco and tons of others).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Killer song. Everyone gets spinechill's on occasion. Impossible to know what bands would do that for you.

Some mellotron suggestions that I'm sure you have heard..

Steven Wilson
All Traps on Earth
King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
Anekdoten
Wobbler
Cathedral

To those I would add Anglagard, early PFM, early Camel, early Spock's Beard and Strawbs(for mellotron anyway). Cathedral(stained glass stories album)is a good one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 16:34
I;m not saying it's the same, or that it's really a similar track, but I get a similar chill with "Dirty Boy" by Cardiacs as I do with "Three Friends" in the way that the music builds.

Just in terms of short perfection, and not all the qualities you mention, I think that Frank Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia" is fantastic. Intriot off William Sheller's Lux Aeterna is one too that I could somehow relate even if it doesn't really fit your criteria.

Edited by Logan - February 27 2020 at 16:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 17:25

Aside from the others I mentioned earlier here are some tracks that might trip your trigger (many of these are short(3 minutes or so) but not all).

Focus- Sylvia

Frank Zappa- peaches en regalia

Banco- Traccia 2

Porcupine Tree- The rest will flow & every home is wired(although this one is five minutes I think)

Genesis- After the ordeal & afterglow(afterglow is a bit longer though)

Yes wonderous stories & time and a word

Camel -great marsh/rhyader & three wishes

Van der Graaf Generator – Theme One (National Health used the main melody in one of their tracks also but was called something else)

Steve Hackett – spectral mornings(not short but if this one doesn’t get to you then check your pulse to make sure you are still alive).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 27 2020 at 17:26
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 00:07
thanks for the reccomandations will listen asap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

thanks for the reccomandations will listen asap

You're welcome. I'm sure if you know GG you are familiar with some of those but maybe not all(or most). 

Also, I know my suggestions aren't really that similar necessarily but I was going more for the "spine chill"(as you put it)or "wow" factor or whatever you want to call it while trying not to list ones that are too long.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 28 2020 at 09:09
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 09:29
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 11:52
I also call it the "goos bump" factor
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 00:42
I would look in the direction of Italian prog maestros PFM. The song 'The World Became the World' has that feeling for me as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply