Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.
    Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:56
I considered creating this topic on the "Just for Fun" section, yet figured that we might get enlightened and might learn from each other.

I'll begin with a simple but wise one.

I know of only one rule: style cannot be too clear, too simple. – Jonathan Swift

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 03 2020 at 15:18
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:48
The Earl of Sandwich: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox."

John Wilkes: "That will depend, my lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:55
I'm paraphrasing: "The first step on the road to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" (Plato/Socrates).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:00
Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great (Machiavelli)

But I don't know how to describe the modern rose, when I can't refer to her shape against her clothes
(Cruel by Paddy McAloon)

Satanism is every other religion apart from your own (from an FBI report in the wake of the 'Satanic Panic' of the 80s - author unknown)

Hell is other people (Jean Paul Sartre)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 21:42
"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws."
--Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867) on Richard Wagner
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:51
"Is that so"........the story of Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:06
"Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine."

(Ar scawh a chxall-yah a wir-enn na dee-neh.)

Under the shelter of each other, people survive.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:24
Some from my favourite quipstress, Dorothy Parker:

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.”

“I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it.”

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 13:32
"Every time the Russians put an American in jail, WE put an American in jail to show the Russians they can't get away with it."
-Mort Sahl

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 04 2020 at 13:36
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:04
"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true.'
Francis Bacon
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:33
Two from Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison!

W.C.: Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.

- AND -

Bessie Braddock, M.P.: Winston, you're drunk!

W.C.: Bessie, you're ugly. And tomorrow morning I shall be sober.

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 04 2020 at 17:35
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:27
Hi,

I'm not one for quotes ... but there are two (three actually since 2 are from the same) of them that I will always remember ...

1. Ernest Borgnine in "THE WILD BUNCH" saying ... (paraphrasing to prevent .... ) why don't you kiss my rosey ... 
2. Don Juan when Carlos showed him his thesis for UCLA .... "you know what Mexicans do with paper!"

3. Don Juan telling Carlos about the drugs ... "of course not, idiot, you didn't need them, but you were so difficult and always stuck to your brain, that we had to sidetrack you sometimes to get anything done!" (paraphrased)

A lot of the other bits and pieces that I like to quote, of all of them my favorite is from the play "MARAT/SADE" and some of the incredible and incendiary exchanges between the Marquis and Jean-Paul Marat.

Marat: I am the revolution!
Sade: No. You are just another idiot that thinks he can change the world! (slightly paraphrased!)
(later) ... interruption and the French this and that says ... "Mr. de Sade, I object. The patients are here for "therapy", not play!

(... the play is full of rich bits!)

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:20
Admittedly a very famous one that everyone knows but probably my favourite:

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Two from Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison!

W.C.: Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.

- AND -

Bessie Braddock, M.P.: Winston, you're drunk!

W.C.: Bessie, you're ugly. And tomorrow morning I shall be sober.

It would be great of Churchill was the originator but actually it appears that this kind of put down had been around for a long time.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/17/sober-tomorrow/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 05:10
Who was it that did your media training, Myra Hindley? It’s terrible! All these hands all over the place. You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra. It was like watching John Leslie at work.

Terri, when I want your advice, I’ll give you the special signal. Which is me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act

I’d love to stop and chat to you but I’d rather have Type 2 diabetes

The guy is an epic f*ck-up. He’s so dense that light bends around him

(Malcolm F Tucker from BBC comedy sit com The Thick Of It)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 05:20
If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly

There was a lot of pretense floating around; not just with aunties and all that but with emotions and how people saw you. They had a point. There's a lot to learn from that generation -- the stoic approach. I think it's disgusting how they've been forgotten about in this way. It's the American hippies' fault, they saw a $ in there, a way of making money out of bad moods. That's all it is most of the time. You can't expect to feel cock-a-hoop every minute of every day. My mam and dad's generation understood this. They were just thankful the bombs had stopped threatening their lives. They just wanted to get on with living

How long is long in a hellish place?

Nuking Russia might not be a bad idea as far as the bleedin’ world is concerned. They’ve plunged a lot of people into miserable lives. You’ve only got to be in East Germany to see it. It’s a horrible way to live. It’s like Doncaster

We’re living in a re-issue world, filching from the past like magpies with a Tardis.

They couldn’t understand that the left and right were never a threat anyway; that the worst thing is a sanitized society ruled by the middle class. The working class and the real upper class have a lot in common. They know where they’re from, they like a drink, have a sense of humour. It’s the middle you need to look out for.

the venerable wisdom of the late Mark E Smith of the Fall
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:07
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:05
"Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein." (Albert Einstein). Translation: "In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep, one must above all be a sheep oneself." I have to think of this one when I see videos of flat-earthers, evolution deniers or the likes.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:04
Cormac McCarthy's book "All the Pretty Horses" is full of excellent quotes.  Here is one:
“When I was in school I studied biology. I learned that in making their experiments scientists will take some group--bacteria, mice, people--and subject that group to certain conditions. They compare the results with a second group which has not been disturbed. This second group is called the control group. It is the control group which enables the scientist gauge the effect of his experiment. To judge the significance of what has occurred. In history there are no control groups. There is no one to tell us what might have been. We weep over the might have been, but there is no might have been. There never was. It is supposed to be true that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it. I don't believe knowing can save us. What is constant in history is greed and foolishness and a love of blood and this is a thing that even God--who knows all that can be known--seems powerless to change."  

Edited by TCat - March 08 2020 at 13:41

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:18
Here are a few more from "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy:
“Every dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before that got me into it. It was never the dumb thing. It was always some choice I'd made before it.”

“For me the world has always been more of a puppet show. But when one looks behind the curtain and traces the strings upward he finds they terminate in the hands of yet other puppets, themselves with their own strings which trace upward in turn, and so on. In my own life I saw these strings whose origins were endless enact the deaths of great men in violence and madness. Enact the ruin of a nation.”  

“Don't fear Death. Its only gonna help you die faster, its not gonna help you live."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>