Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:27

I guess, not just in the US.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 18:31
words of wisdom..  

Salvor Hardin - Never let your sence of morals prevent you from doing what is right

a very interesting life has been lived following that exact proverb...

and hand in hand with that..

David Bowie - Religion is for those that fear hell.. sprirituality is for those that have been there..

Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:01
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Even after a conversation commences, your "beginning" all your posts with a "Hi" clearly shows that all your concern is self-justification. This shouldn't be that way, FYI.

Hi,

Believe what you will ... this has been for many years, my way of saying HELLO to start each thread/reply.

It's more about me being polite than your idea, btw!

Edited by moshkito - March 11 2020 at 20:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"The music consists in 2-3 humming refrigerators at the same time, plus a portative fan that turns back and forth to make the anyway inexistent rhythm, and finally a coming cluster of threatening killer bees!" (Greenback on Tangerine Dream's Zeit).

Hi,

And in the case of POLAND, it's in the book, 2 or 3 HEATERS would have been nice but there wasn't enough electricity! Incredible story in EF's book!

Edited by moshkito - March 11 2020 at 20:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 20:46
The poet Robert Burns, to a critic he despised (1791) --

Dear Sir:

Thou eunuch of language; thou Englishman, who never was south the Tweed; thou servile echo of fashionable barbarisms; thou quack, vending the nostrums of empirical elocution; thou marriage-maker between vowels and consonants, on the Gretna-green of caprice; thou cobler, botching the flimsy socks of bombast oratory; thou blacksmith, hammering the rivets of absurdity; thou butcher, embruing thy hands in the bowels of orthography; thou arch-heretic in pronunciation; thou pitch-pipe of affected emphasis; thou carpenter, mortising the awkward joints of jarring sentences; thou squeaking dissonance of cadence; thou pimp of gender; thou Lyon Herald to silly etymology; thou antipode of grammar; thou executioner of construction; thou brood of the speech-distracting builders of the Tower of Babel; thou lingual confusion worse confounded; thou scape-gallows from the land of syntax; thou scavenger of mood and tense; thou murderous accoucheur of infant learning; thou ignis fatuus, misleading the steps of benighted ignorance; thou pickle-herring in the puppet-show of nonsense; thou faithful recorder of barbarous idiom; thou persecutor of syllabication; thou baleful meteor, foretelling and facilitating the rapid approach of Nox and Erebus.

R.B.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 07:55
CuG81U

I don't fully agree; this perception is embodying a certain truth, albeit to a certain extent, depending on the context. Anyhow I like such views, they are against the grain.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 09:40
^  'Crass'...? 
So was that Roman guy the origin of the word?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^  'Crass'...? 
So was that Roman guy the origin of the word?

;)

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:14
EYmtqP

"There's no clue without a tree."

-Sir Isaac Newton-

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:29

My soul's intelligence & mind's wits infer that synchronicity is a good word to explain such shadowy phenomena; as there's a good chance that all those/these mysterious occurrences might be time-related. My inference is not either exhaustive or conclusive, nor is it preclusive. I'm prone and generally open to deem differing conclusions reasonable too, so long as they make sense.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 15:37
The one under my avatar is one ofmy favorites....
'One does nothing yet nothing is left undone'  by Haquin, zen master

And one of my all time favorites by a writer who died some years ago...R A Wilson:
"If you think you know what's going on, you are probably full of sh*t."
Haquin
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 17:14
A little excerpt from Robert Anton Wilson's novel "Masks of the Illuminati". This story is told by Aleister Crowley, one of the four main protagonists of the novel; the other three are Albert Einstein, James Joyce and Sir John Babcock (the only fictional character in this quartet).

”There were these two men, sharing a railway carriage. They didn’t know each other. They just happened to be travelling together. One of the men had, resting in his lap, a cardboard box with holes punched in the top. After some time spent contemplating what might be inside his travelling companion’s box, the other man at last could not contain his curiosity. He said, “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing your box. Does it contain some variety of animal?” The other man, though obviously surprised by this impertinent intrusion from a stranger, smiled politely as he answered, “You’re absolutely right. There is indeed a creature kept inside this box. And furthermore, I may reveal, the animal in question is a mongoose.”

The first man, who’d initiated the enquiry, was astonished by this revelation. Spluttering with surprise, he sought some further explanation of this certainly provocative disclosure made by his strange fellow-traveller. “A mongoose? Sir I must confess I had expected it to be perhaps a cat, or rabbit, not a creature so exotic and outlandish. The animal you mention so excites my curiosity that I must beg you, sir, to tell me more. Where are you bound with such a specimen, if I may be so bold?” The other man, who sat with the perforated box on his lap, shrugged wearily as he replied, “Well, it’s something of a personal matter, as it concerns a family tragedy. However, since I’m confident I may rely on your discretion, I suppose I don’t mind sharing my unfortunate account with you.”

“You see,” the man went on, “this sorry tale concerns my elder brother. He’s always been what I suppose you might refer to as the black sheep of the family. He has for many years indulged himself in a predictable and commonplace array of vices, of which the worst is his fondness for strong spirits. His drinking has progressed until he is now in the final stages of delerium tremens. My brother now sees serpents everywhere, which is the reason I am taking him this mongoose, that he may be rid of them.”

“Excuse me,” the other man interjected, looking puzzled, “But, these snakes your brother sees… aren’t they imaginary snakes?”

“Indeed,” his fellow traveller replied. “But this,” and here he gestured meaningfully to the perforated box set on his lap, “is an imaginary mongoose.”

Edited by BaldFriede - April 15 2020 at 17:15

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 17:46
Two quotes that serve to bring clarity to our current political mess:

"At some point we all sit down to a banquet of consequences". -- Robert Louis Stevenson

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is”. – Winston Churchill

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 15 2020 at 17:47
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 21:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

A little excerpt from Robert Anton Wilson's novel "Masks of the Illuminati". This story is told by Aleister Crowley, one of the four main protagonists of the novel; the other three are Albert Einstein, James Joyce and Sir John Babcock (the only fictional character in this quartet).

”There were these two men, sharing a railway carriage. They didn’t know each other. They just happened to be travelling together. One of the men had, resting in his lap, a cardboard box with holes punched in the top. After some time spent contemplating what might be inside his travelling companion’s box, the other man at last could not contain his curiosity. He said, “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing your box. Does it contain some variety of animal?” The other man, though obviously surprised by this impertinent intrusion from a stranger, smiled politely as he answered, “You’re absolutely right. There is indeed a creature kept inside this box. And furthermore, I may reveal, the animal in question is a mongoose.”

The first man, who’d initiated the enquiry, was astonished by this revelation. Spluttering with surprise, he sought some further explanation of this certainly provocative disclosure made by his strange fellow-traveller. “A mongoose? Sir I must confess I had expected it to be perhaps a cat, or rabbit, not a creature so exotic and outlandish. The animal you mention so excites my curiosity that I must beg you, sir, to tell me more. Where are you bound with such a specimen, if I may be so bold?” The other man, who sat with the perforated box on his lap, shrugged wearily as he replied, “Well, it’s something of a personal matter, as it concerns a family tragedy. However, since I’m confident I may rely on your discretion, I suppose I don’t mind sharing my unfortunate account with you.”

“You see,” the man went on, “this sorry tale concerns my elder brother. He’s always been what I suppose you might refer to as the black sheep of the family. He has for many years indulged himself in a predictable and commonplace array of vices, of which the worst is his fondness for strong spirits. His drinking has progressed until he is now in the final stages of delerium tremens. My brother now sees serpents everywhere, which is the reason I am taking him this mongoose, that he may be rid of them.”

“Excuse me,” the other man interjected, looking puzzled, “But, these snakes your brother sees… aren’t they imaginary snakes?”

“Indeed,” his fellow traveller replied. “But this,” and here he gestured meaningfully to the perforated box set on his lap, “is an imaginary mongoose.”

I read the Illuminatus Trilogy and Masks many years ago....he is one of my favorite writers from the old days. I also enjoyed the Schrodingers Cat trilogy. I also read Cosmic Trigger series and many of his other non fiction books. A very funny and smart man....who called himself a guerilla ontologist in his book The Illuminati Papers.
Cool

Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 10:09
« quand je me regarde je m’inquiète, quand je me compare, je me rassure »."When I look at myself I worry, when I compare myself, I feel reassured." 

Talleyrand 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 10:35
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. EINSTEIN 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 11:09
Falsehood flies and the truth comes limping after it (Jonathan Swift)

I'm not a man trapped in a woman's body. I'm a brain trapped in a human body (Genesis P. Orridge)

I believe in luck. How else can you explain the success of those you don’t like? (Jean Cocteau)

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter (Winston Churchill)

A handful of Afghans dying could make the front pages, but only if they were strangled one by one by Beyoncé as the half-time entertainment at the Super Bowl. (Frankie Boyle)

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred (Woody Allen)

Being a monarchist – saying that one small group is born more worthy of respect than another – is just as warped and strange as being a racist. Yet no musician would dream of playing a benefit concert for the BNP. (Julie Burchill)
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The one under my avatar is one ofmy favorites....
'One does nothing yet nothing is left undone'  by Haquin, zen master

And one of my all time favorites by a writer who died some years ago...R A Wilson:
"If you think you know what's going on, you are probably full of sh*t."
"Is that so"....................the quote "One does nothing yet nothing is left undone" is actually from Chapter 38 of the Tao Te Ching
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:03
The story of Haquin...................A beautiful girl in the village was pregnant. Her angry parents demanded to know who was the father. At first resistant to confess, the anxious and embarrassed girl finally pointed to Hakuin, the Zen master whom everyone previously revered for living such a pure life. When the outraged parents confronted Hakuin with their daughter's accusation, he simply replied "Is that so?"

When the child was born, the parents brought it to the Hakuin, who now was viewed as a pariah by the whole village. They demanded that he take care of the child since it was his responsibility. "Is that so?" Hakuin said calmly as he accepted the child. 

For many months he took very good care of the child until the daughter could no longer withstand the lie she had told. She confessed that the real father was a young man in the village whom she had tried to protect. The parents immediately went to Hakuin to see if he would return the baby. With profuse apologies they explained what had happened. "Is that so?" Hakuin said as he handed them the child. 

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 15:06
Instead of something clever and learned I thought id record a couple of my late mothers sayings.. I don't think they were original but they made their point..

''The things you see when you haven't got your gun''

''You make a great door but a rubbish window'' (when standing in the way of the tv etc)

''if it was a bear it would have bitten you'' (when looking for something obvious)

Ahh.. the wisdom of old dears ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>